PDA

View Full Version : Archival Storage of 12x20 negs

tim810
11-Feb-2008, 19:41
I still have not fired the first shot out of my new camera (the film holder just arrived today). As for my current storage solutions I use glassines for my 8x10 negs and store them in my old 8x10 neg boxes. I need to find something that will work for my new to come 12x20 negs.
I appreciate your help

sanking
11-Feb-2008, 21:00
I still have not fired the first shot out of my new camera (the film holder just arrived today). As for my current storage solutions I use glassines for my 8x10 negs and store them in my old 8x10 neg boxes. I need to find something that will work for my new to come 12x20 negs.
I appreciate your help

Many ULF photographers use acid-free paper. I use a product called Apollo Paper sold by Light Impressions. It is an acid-free 25% cotton fiber paper that can be used with most types of films, including nitrate base and any of today's estar bases. For 12X20 buy the 20X24" size, and fold for use. This product is fairly inexpensive.

For storage boxes check out www.hollingercorp.com/. They can sell you either top or front loading boxes for many ULF formats. I prefer the top loading boxes for 7X17 and 12X20 film.

Sandy King

BarryS
12-Feb-2008, 08:54
Another alternative I've used for archival storage are polypropylene Crystal Clear Bags.

http://www.clearbags.com/?category|BAGS4

They're inexpensive, archival, and come in a huge variety of sizes. I use them for prints, but I don't see why they wouldn't work just as well for negatives.