PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Polaroid Type 55 ?

davidb
11-Feb-2008, 14:07
There are over 900 boxes here (http://shopus.polaroid.com/shop/public/products/details/dsp_product_details.cfm?product=600756)

get it while you can.

Jon Wilson
11-Feb-2008, 15:25
Thanks for the link....I can't afford it, but...there are 3 less boxes. Jon

Colin Corneau
11-Feb-2008, 21:00
FWIW, Badger Graphics has it at the same price:

http://www.badgergraphic.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=1190

venchka
12-Feb-2008, 06:53
Precision Camera & Video in Austin, TX also.

Rob_5419
12-Feb-2008, 07:07
Thanks for the link....I can't afford it, but...there are 3 less boxes. Jon

we pay way more for this in England - £50-70/box isn't unusual.

Shame that none of them ship internationally.

venchka
14-Feb-2008, 13:36
Monday, Polaroid's web store had 950+ boxes of Type 55 P/N material. At about noon, CST, today they had fewer than 350 boxes. Wanna guess what the price will be on ebay in a few weeks?

BarryS
14-Feb-2008, 13:54
I doubt those numbers in the web store equate to Polaroid's current stocks. I saw the numbers drop to 600 and then pop back up to 900. The store is showing 86 boxes currently in stock and it would be hard to believe this is it. Polaroid talked about producing enough stock to last through 2009, and I can believe it'll run out sooner--but in a few days?

venchka
14-Feb-2008, 13:59
Barry,
I hope you're right. They may have to move inventory around within the company. Also, they may not wish to resupply the online store too quickly. Folks will buy quicker if they see low stocks.
On the other hand, I read a news story at lunch that said a photographer bought $800 worth of Polaroid material this week.
There is a buying surge going on.

BarryS
14-Feb-2008, 14:06
No kidding. I hope Fuji or another company notes the surge because whatever the case, they're moving a lot of expensive film--fast. I'm not ready to see Type 55 go yet. :(

Terence McDonagh
14-Feb-2008, 15:01
At those prices, $800 isn't a lot of film.

blevblev
14-Feb-2008, 18:52
Does Fuji make a type 55 type film - one that produces a negative?

BarryS
14-Feb-2008, 19:22
Not....yet.

davidb
14-Feb-2008, 21:44
On 2/11, the polaroid store had 995 boxes of type 55.

Today at 9:30am they had 339.

Now at 9:30pm, they have sold out.

venchka
15-Feb-2008, 06:44
On 2/11, the polaroid store had 995 boxes of type 55.

Today at 9:30am they had 339.

Now at 9:30pm, they have sold out.

I followed that as well. I wonder if they will crank up the line and make more as their discontinued notice says. Or perhaps dealers stocked up.

I don't even want to think about the impending ebay feeding frenzy.

BarryS
15-Feb-2008, 06:57
Polaroid is listing stock availability as "10 days" which makes me think they're still continuing production as planned to lay in future stocks, or at the very least, they're getting more shipped in from another factory to their primary distribution site. While there are probably some crazy people or successful pros that might pay insane prices for Type 55, I don't think many people will be making huge ebay profits--the film is already priced pretty high.

venchka
15-Feb-2008, 06:58
Barry,

Reasonable folks won't do it. Reason and ebay seem to be mutually exclusive.

venchka
15-Feb-2008, 07:02
Barry,

I also found the Show all tab and the 10 days notice. Thanks!

BarryS
15-Feb-2008, 08:50
So I was thinking about the 10 day notice tag and it occurred to me that Polaroid's web ordering system might automatically throw up a 10 day restock tag when any product is sold out. When they were running at full tilt--that was probably a reasonable estimate to restock. I called Polaroid's corporate headquarters to ask about the 10 day restock and they told me that's it--they've completely stopped manufacturing of all instant films and there is no more stock. There will be no more film when the packs in the retail supply system run out. So the end came fast for Type 55. Almost every major retailer is out of stock, so this is everyone's last chance to say goodbye. As much as I want to believe some company will pick up the manufacturing of Type 55, I think it's a long shot. :(

venchka
15-Feb-2008, 08:52
So much for Truth in Advertizing:

NOTICE TO OUR CUSTOMERS: Please be advised that Polaroid will be discontinuing the manufacture of its T55 film within the next several months.

We realize that this is disappointing news for our loyal T55 users and we would like to emphasize that, although the circumstances made it inevitable, it was not an easy decision.

We are very sorry for the inconvenience.

Ted Harris
15-Feb-2008, 10:17
Polaroid will keep running the T55 line through the end of this quarter for sure, that is ruing it every couple of days, not daily. They MAY run it next quarter too, after that all bets are off. Remember too that there are heavy zoning negotiations underway for some variances so that a shopping mall can be built on the land the land that is now occupied by the T55 processing line and other Polaroid facilities. I will cry as loud or louder than most others when T55 disappears as I use it almost daily. However, if they aren't selling enough of it an if the land is too valuable to not turn into something else I can't fault them.

No one has said it, either inside Polaroid or elsewhere, but I suspect that part of what drives Polaroid's reluctance to make any projections beyond this quarter is the ongoing real estate transaction. They sit on some of the most valuable udeveloped/underdeveloped land in the entire Boston metro area.

BarryS
15-Feb-2008, 10:29
That would be better news if it's the case, but maybe they ought to call a staff meeting so the employees are all on the same page. I talked to a phone rep, and asking for confirmation she passed me on to someone who confirmed that stocks wouldn't be replenished. Sort of like trying to order drinks as the Titannic is going down. :)

BrianShaw
15-Feb-2008, 14:53
Remember too that there are heavy zoning negotiations underway for some variances so that a shopping mall can be built on the land the land that is now occupied by the T55 processing line and other Polaroid facilities. ... They sit on some of the most valuable udeveloped/underdeveloped land in the entire Boston metro area.

Which facility are you referring to? I believe the negotiations over the Waltham property has long since been done. The shopping mall is being reported in the Waltham newspaper as being a real reality. As has the reports of the developer improvments to the 128 exit/entrance and traffic circle.

EDIT: You are right, Ted - Waltham Zoning Board of Appeals still reviewing plans. http://www.dailynewstribune.com/news/x1960727439

My suspicion is that is will be pretty much a slam-dunk, though... there has been lots of "cooperation" from the developer so far.