PDA

View Full Version : Where does Jim get all those cool toys?

Norm Buchanan
10-Feb-2008, 16:55
I am always blown away by Jim Galli's photos made with a variety of lenses. I would like to learn more about lenses that give that beautiful soft and creative look (I'm sure Jim's talent plays a large/dominant role as well). I started reading about vintage and antique lenses but the discussion usually comes back to the sharpness and clarity of lenses (Dagor, Ektar, etc...). I am not looking for clear, sharp lenses, I have those already. Is there a resource that would educate me on the lenses I am after?

And yes, I have read many of Jim's posts and realize he finds them on ebay and elsewhere. I would try that too if I had a better idea of what I was looking for.

Thanks,
N.

Mark Woods
10-Feb-2008, 17:24
Try putting a stocking on the back of the lens with a rubber band. It's beautiful! There are lots of other ways to degrade (pictorialize) the image that you can use a sharp lens and add some diffusion. We do it all the time in cinematography, and most of the cine lenses are VERY sharp. You have to find a way to make them work for you.

Gene McCluney
10-Feb-2008, 17:49
Panty hose. One to several layers of panty hose on the front (or back) of the lens will produce a beautiful pictorial quality. Stretch tight and secure with a rubber band around the lens.

tim atherton
10-Feb-2008, 18:01
Where does Jim get all those cool toys?

Jim has access to Area 51 - he uses a time-portal... then just buys em at the old 1890's price and brings them back :-)

David Karp
10-Feb-2008, 19:00
Jim has access to Area 51 - he uses a time-portal... then just buys em at the old 1890's price and brings them back :-)

They would take one look at today's paper money and coins and laugh him out of the store! Or call the police. :)

Ralph Barker
10-Feb-2008, 20:10
Actually, I heard that Jim has a deal with the "little green folk" who confiscated these lenses from abductees.

anchored
10-Feb-2008, 21:47
I do have a suggestion that I used to use (pre-PhotoShop days) that I believe to be more effective and controllable than using silk stockings (or screens or lace or etc.) to create that "soft" look:

Use a smear of Vaseline on the lens... or to be more precise... on a UV or Skylight filter (can damage coatings on lens elements). Need the center to remain clear... keep free of vaseline. Want more effect... add more vaseline.

Paul Fitzgerald
10-Feb-2008, 21:50
Norm,

"Is there a resource that would educate me on the lenses I am after?"

Your log-on says you're in Chicago, home of Deardorff, Burke & James, Calumet, ... , try looking up some of the old timers. Pre-war photo almanacs and catalogs are a good place to start. Try searching here at LFF, there have been several threads.

Have fun with the hunt.

Mark Woods
11-Feb-2008, 10:16
I used to use the Vaseline technique and was in a discussion with one of the lens guys in R&D at Panavision. He said that Vaseline is not optical, but KY Jelly is. It also has the added benefit that it's water soluble. I thought he was joking, but he wasn't. I've kept a tube of KY Jelly in my kit ever since. Try it, you'll never go back. ;-)

Frank Petronio
11-Feb-2008, 10:38
It's a good thing to have around anyway, I have 55-gal drum

Vaughn
11-Feb-2008, 11:19
It's a good thing to have around anyway, I have 55-gal drum

Ahhh, so that is where "dip 'n dunk" comes in!:D

Vaughn