PDA

View Full Version : Epson V750 v what else is there?

Rob_5419
9-Feb-2008, 18:19
I think I'm getting to grips with this scanner technology, but I still haven't seen anything affordable except these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Epson-Perfection-Photo-Scanner-9600DPI/dp/B000FK521W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1202605574&sr=1-1

and

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Epson-Perfection-V750-Pro-Firewire/dp/B000J4P82W/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1202605574&sr=1-2

What is the difference between them?

Is there anything else similar in spec to this scanner?

Who's got one, and if so, any feedback on how are you finding using it for 35mm - whole plate negative sizes?

Alan Davenport
9-Feb-2008, 19:08
What is the difference between them?

£14.26?

neil poulsen
9-Feb-2008, 19:14
I don't know too much about these two modes. It looks like that one has firewire, and the other one doesn't.

Rob_5419
9-Feb-2008, 19:14
Is that all?

One says 'pro'. I guess that counts me out then, since I won't understand it.

There are huge price fluctuations for the same item. Jessops sell it for a mark-up, and £550 isn't unusual for it here. The cheapest I've seen it looks like $680.

Btw - if I was to mount negatives for scanning in fluid, would the fluid affect the emulsion in any way?

JonathanPerkins
10-Feb-2008, 01:44
Rob,

Don't forget to look at the V700, which is more than £100 less for essentially the same scanner less the full version of Silverfast and the wet mounting tray if I remember correctly. We have the 700 and are very pleased with it for the money, there's a big leap up in cost to really get anything better (at least for 5x4 or larger). For medium format or smaller then something like the Nikon 9000 would be the next rung up the ladder. You need to check out the cost of the extra stuff bundled with the 750 to see if you want them now or buy later.

Jonathan

Ted Harris
10-Feb-2008, 08:17
I can't tell you bout UK pakaging but the differences in North America are whether or not the scanner comes packaged with Silverfast Ai and a wet mounting station.

The V700 is very similar in performance as is the older 4990. Microtek also offers the M1 (F1 in Europe and the UK). Th M1/F1 also comes with software options similar to the V750.

Ralph Barker
10-Feb-2008, 08:18
As I recall, the "Pro" version comes with color calibration software, while the "un-Pro" version doesn't. So, if you're not doing color work, the "Pro" version may not be necessary. I'm not sure if there is a difference in the other bundled software, however.

Rob_5419
10-Feb-2008, 12:12
Thanks guys.

I decided, that if I got a scanner, I didn't want to settle for a basic one, which couldn't scan whole plate negatives, since that would only frustrate me and I'd regret wasting money on going digital. The Nikon 9000 is out of the question! It's £2000+.

Jonathan - most of my work is whole plate. I have some 35mm Leica stuff but that's just family snaps and fun stuff which I don't really need great scans for.

I think I like the Silverfast Ai - it seems to have a lot of positive reviews, stating that it's idiot-proof.

Guess if it's just a software difference, then maybe the pro' version is worth getting, since it would become a lot more expensive if I got it later.

Are there still any other options other than these ones?

PS:

http://www.amazon.com/Epson-Perfection-V750-M-Color-Scanner/dp/B000EZU0WE/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1202677191&sr=1-1

I've just realised this is substantially cheaper than the ones from www.amazon.co.uk

Does any one in the States have one of these? Does it use 120Volts or 240Volts, and what kind of electric plug does it use?