PDA

View Full Version : Future of Polaroid

Oren Grad
7-Feb-2008, 23:35
The latest chapter:

http://www.boston.com/business/technology/articles/2008/02/08/polaroid_shutting_2_mass_facilities_laying_off_150/

The nut grafs:

"The Norwood plant is shutting down, and we will soon be winding down activities at the Waltham facility as well," said Kyle MacDonald, senior vice president of Polaroid's instant photography business segment. The closures, set for completion during this quarter, will eliminate about 150 jobs. In the late 1970s, Polaroid employed about 15,000 in Massachusetts.

The Norwood and Waltham plants make large-format films used by professional photographers and artists. Polaroid also makes professional-grade films in Mexico, and its consumer film packs come from a factory in the Netherlands. All these plants are slated for closure this year. Polaroid chief operating officer Tom Beaudoin said the company is interested in licensing its technology to an outside firm that could manufacture film for faithful Polaroid customers. If that doesn't happen, Polaroid users would have to find an alternative photo technology, as the company plans to make only enough film to last into next year.

Polaroid has already quietly halted production of instant cameras. "We stopped making commercial-type cameras about 18 to 24 months ago, and we stopped making consumer cameras about a year ago," said Beaudoin.

davidb
7-Feb-2008, 23:51
you know, this came up a few months back and several people got flamed for talking about it.

this sucks.

Gordon Moat
8-Feb-2008, 01:02
Fujifilm are the most likely to take over Instant film production. However, compare the prices of Fujifilm Instant to Polaroid, and the future looks more expensive. The other issue is that Fujifilm Instant does not manipulate well. Polaroid manipulation could disappear as an art form in the near future.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat Photography (http://www.gordonmoat.com)

Ted Harris
8-Feb-2008, 06:23
But ... does that mean no more Polaroid or is it the opinion of the guy who wrote the article? I hate to be doom and gloom without all the facts. Not saying it isn't accurate ... Polaroid could easily have been blowing smoke at its employees, including all but a few senior managers, for the past few months. It doesn't jibe with what I was told a month ago but then who knows ... I'll see what intelligence I can gather today or Monday.

Fred L
8-Feb-2008, 06:27
Well they've stopped shipping to Canadian dealers and some packs have the dreaded 'product discontinued" or something, like that, sticker from what I've read. So, right now it walks and sounds alot like a duck.

Fwiw, I was told by a friend at a large pro shop last month that they were taking down the tent in '09, no mention of products, but without the tent, there ain't no circus.

Hope they're just playing a really bad game of chicken but I'm not optimistic.

Ron Bose
8-Feb-2008, 07:21
Anyone want to buy three Polaroid 545i backs, great prices ;-)

BrianShaw
8-Feb-2008, 08:30
This is a shame, but no surprise since it seems to have been "announced" (or alluded to) previously be Polaroid (or the new owner of Polaroid).

The Waltham facility re-development was mentioned a year or more ago in the Waltham Tribune. That tract of land has long been known as one of the most valuable under-developed industrial tracts in that area. I seem to recall that the new owners were funding the improvement (ie traffic flow increasing measures) of the 128 interchange near the plant.

Terence McDonagh
8-Feb-2008, 08:33
Bought my first 545i holder last week. It's ALL in the timing . . . bad timing, that is.

Gene McCluney
8-Feb-2008, 09:32
Already there is no color film available in 4x5 sheet sizes, except for what some larger dealers may have in stock.

D. Bryant
8-Feb-2008, 09:44
Already there is no color film available in 4x5 sheet sizes, except for what some larger dealers may have in stock.
This news is exactly why I sold my Polaroid 545i back early last year. I didn't see how this market segment could stay afloat much longer.

Don Bryant

Terence McDonagh
8-Feb-2008, 09:50
Just got some Type 55 I ordered from Badger, and it has the dreaded discontinued sticker.

Answers the very question I asked here last week, of when does everyone think Type 55 will be discontinued. Hope I didn't jinx it into happening . . .

Alan Davenport
8-Feb-2008, 09:50
We all know the future of Polaroid and film in general. Some people are still in denial.

BrianShaw
8-Feb-2008, 09:56
It is getting much more difficult to maintain the denial, eh?

Terence McDonagh
8-Feb-2008, 10:12
I think film will be around for quite a while. It just won't be cheap. Who'd have thought in this day and age that you'd still be able to get new LP's and record players?

Gene McCluney
8-Feb-2008, 10:39
I think film will be around for quite a while. It just won't be cheap. Who'd have thought in this day and age that you'd still be able to get new LP's and record players?

Vinyl LP's and record players are a totally different kind of technology, which is easier to manufacture on a smaller scale than film coating is. Polaroid is the most complex film based product to manufacture. In vinyl LP manufacturing, there still are several record pressing plants, as well as mastering labs, and there are a wide variety of turntable and cartridge manufacturers, as high-end audiophiles never completely bought into the CD revolution. All these products can be produced (at higher cost) in small cottage industry type of plants, whereas film requires a big investment and plant.

While type 55 may be around, it will only be from stock already manufactured, as if the plants shut down, that is it...and they are in the process of being shut down, and some locations are already shut down.

Whatever type 55 is out there, or in Polaroid warehouses is it....no more.

Juergen Sattler
8-Feb-2008, 11:19
http://www.boston.com/business/technology/articles/2008/02/08/polaroid_shutting_2_mass_facilities_laying_off_150/

Bad news for all of us!

David A. Goldfarb
8-Feb-2008, 11:23
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=33055

BrianShaw
8-Feb-2008, 11:24
Not to embaras anyone, but you apparently didn't notice an existing thread.

Ron Bose
8-Feb-2008, 11:24
I was joking about selling the 545i, I can still use them for QuickLoads.

Now I have to wonder, is my subject Polariod worthy ?

But just imagine if Fujifilm came along and started making a Type 53, 54 and 55 equivalent :-)

alanps
8-Feb-2008, 11:37

David A. Goldfarb
8-Feb-2008, 11:42

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=33069

Terence McDonagh
8-Feb-2008, 12:23
Gene, you are right, of course. But I can't help thinking that companies were making film about 100 years ago, on a fairly small basis.

Gordon Moat
8-Feb-2008, 12:34

Yeah, good point . . . who'd have thought you could still buy oil paint, brushes and canvas in this day and age . . . . give me a f*(&ing break. (Note: not disagreeing with your analogy, but there is a bit of reality missing in some of the other posts).
:cool:

Both Fujifilm and Kodak recently announce price increases on film. Digging through Kodak financial numbers indicates it is still high profit. Revenues from film sales to consumers (including one-time-use cameras) are also quite large . . . very different than the situation at Polaroid.

The new rules of Passports created a sudden surge in the need for instant photos, which can continue for a while. My guess would be Fujifilm taking over the instant photo market, though that does not help anyone using Polaroid sheet films, and certainly leaves the 8x10 and larger Polaroid users with no future products.

Instant photos are the ultimate in convenience, but not the ultimate in low cost. They have also been poorly marketed, though there is a cult following. I would imagine Polanoid (http://www.polanoid.net) and other Polaroid groups, forums and websites are buzzing with confusion currently.

Ciao!

BarryS
8-Feb-2008, 12:35
There's still a pretty respectable demand for Type 55 and it's not cheap. It seems like it would be worth it for some company to pick up production, especially since the production equipment will be available. The biggest barrier will be the corporate drones that currently control the remnants of Polaroid. I'm sure they'll come up with an extortionate price for licensing a product they have no interest in making. They ought to throw in the license for free for anyone that can pony up to buy the core production equipment. Then they can go back to pimping a once great brand for use on cheap electronics.

Asher Kelman
8-Feb-2008, 12:52
There's still a pretty respectable demand for Type 55 and it's not cheap. It seems like it would be worth it for some company to pick up production, especially since the production equipment will be available. The biggest barrier will be the corporate drones that currently control the remnants of Polaroid. I'm sure they'll come up with an extortionate price for licensing a product they have no interest in making. They ought to throw in the license for free for anyone that can pony up to buy the core production equipment. Then they can go back to pimping a once great brand for use on cheap electronics.
Barry,

You're so right about the corporate drones. Their job is to generate the most real cash from mining Polaroid's assets. They'd rather sell you a license for your corporate venture. They can make more money that way.

I interviewed the guys in Polaroid with the idea of buying sufficient to make small amounts of film. However, the rolling plants were being disassembled. When I wrote about that, I got disbelief! We could overcome difficulties if there was a guaranteed demand. However, digital gets so much better.

Asher

Ash
8-Feb-2008, 12:55
China or Russia for pola film?

I want some Shanghai-55, or maybe Era-54 film :)

BarryS
8-Feb-2008, 13:01
Asher-- are you saying you wanted to buy a small amount of raw materials for some diy film production or are you talking about something bigger? I believe the Type 55 is still in production, so the production line equipment would be available. There's already a guaranteed demand for Type 55. Even if Sony develops a 100 GB sensor for $10, the demand for Type 55 will still exist because photographers are paying for the process and the materials appropriate to their artistic vision--not a commodity.

vinny
8-Feb-2008, 13:22
Jesus. Here we go

Juergen Sattler
8-Feb-2008, 13:24
Yeah - I noticed after posted - sorry!

false_Aesthetic
8-Feb-2008, 13:35

Hmm. MassArt owns a 20x24 Polaroid. I wonder what kids will do after this semester.

T

David A. Goldfarb
8-Feb-2008, 13:38

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=33069

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=33071

false_Aesthetic
8-Feb-2008, 13:38
Oh sorry Didn't notice that this h ad already been posted.

tim atherton
8-Feb-2008, 13:42
I believe the Type 55 is still in production, so the production line equipment would be available. There's already a guaranteed demand for Type 55.

I thought part of the point was that Type 55 (along with everything else) will be/is no more and is discontinued?

Gene McCluney
8-Feb-2008, 13:57
I thought part of the point was that Type 55 (along with everything else) will be/is no more and is discontinued?

That is correct. There is still inventory of some films, though.

BarryS
8-Feb-2008, 14:09
My point is that some plant closures are currently taking place and others are slated for closure by the end of year--meaning that the Type 55 production line equipment is likely to be available. I'd like to see Fuji or Ilford, or maybe Foma buy the core production equipment and set up a Type 55 line.

Ash
8-Feb-2008, 14:34
I very much doubt Ilford will, but it would be nice if they did. I think China would be the best place, the market for the products would start small and hopefully remain consistently small so that it doesn't balloon or expand too big and collapse on itself...again.

Matt Blaze
8-Feb-2008, 15:47
I don't understand enough about the various market segments for instant films to be able to make any kind of predictions here.

There's the consumer instant camera market. That seems to be reasonably, though not perfectly, served by digital cameras plus small standalone photo printers. There's a large legacy community of Polaroid camera owners, but the cost of use compared with digital has been pretty unfavorable for a while.

There's the ID/passport photo market. That seems to be well served by digital.

There's the proofing for commercial and fine art LF and MF film photography market. That market seems to have rather poor alternatives. Of course, film is used less and less, but commercial architectural and product photographers who do still shoot film really need the ability to proof exposure, lighting, composition, etc.

There's the fine art and amateur market that uses instant film as the final material. This is probably the smallest market, but is also the one that uses the most esoteric and specialized of the products (type 55, larger than 4x5 format, etc). This market is particularly dependent not just on the form factor, but on particular emulsions, etc. We are probably the most screwed by Polaroid going away, and also have the least leverage (especially the more price-sensitive amateur segment).

Fuji makes some instant pack films, which may be sufficient for proofing MF (and, for some applications, proofing lighting in 4x5 work), but not sheet film. How much of a stretch would it be for Fuji to expand their line to include instant sheet film after Polaroid leaves that market?

Personally, I'll particularly miss Type 55 and I really hope someone picks it up. But I'm not counting on it, sadly.

Dave Parker
8-Feb-2008, 15:51
Just got an email about this, no more polaroid!

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/02/08/ap/business/main3810888.shtml

An end of an era...

Dp

Ralph Barker
8-Feb-2008, 16:37
What? Parallel peel-apart Polaroid posts? ;)

see http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=33055

Dave Parker
8-Feb-2008, 16:39
Hey Ralph,

I don't normally look at the Darkroom area, of course when talking about Polaroid, I don't know why I would, but me in the darkroom..

Ya, I wish I had that much time on my hands!

LOL

:D

Henry Ambrose
8-Feb-2008, 16:40
"Meanwhile, Polaroid is seeking a partner to acquire licensing rights for its instant film, in hopes that another firm will continue making the film to supply Polaroid enthusiasts."

OK guys, who has a load of money laying around?

Gene McCluney
8-Feb-2008, 16:47
Fuji makes some instant pack films, which may be sufficient for proofing MF (and, for some applications, proofing lighting in 4x5 work), but not sheet film. How much of a stretch would it be for Fuji to expand their line to include instant sheet film after Polaroid leaves that market?

Personally, I'll particularly miss Type 55 and I really hope someone picks it up. But I'm not counting on it, sadly.

Other than working out the technical issues, all Fuji would have to do is license the technology. They already hold a license for the products they now produce.

Raymond Bleesz
8-Feb-2008, 16:50
On the front page of the New York Times-------Raymond, in Vail

BarryS
8-Feb-2008, 16:54
Really? Hadn't heard that. :)

Matt Blaze
8-Feb-2008, 16:56
Other than working out the technical issues, all Fuji would have to do is license the technology. They already hold a license for the products they now produce.

Do they? I may be mistaken, but I thought Fuji entered the market after the main Polaroid patents expired. Kodak, on the other hand, definitely produced instant film (based on an independently developed chemistry) before the patents expired and didn't license Polaroid. They were forced to discontinue production after losing an infringement suit, however.

Dave Parker
8-Feb-2008, 16:57
Third Time is a Charm!!!!

LOL

Asher Kelman
8-Feb-2008, 16:58
"Meanwhile, Polaroid is seeking a partner to acquire licensing rights for its instant film, in hopes that another firm will continue making the film to supply Polaroid enthusiasts."

OK guys, who has a load of money laying around?

I looked into it, but the blocking problem is that the equipment needed for rolling the emulsion on the paper has been or is being cannibalized.

A company like fuji could, not doubt take over the business if it so wished! however, they already have the technology so why pay for it?

Asher

BarryS
8-Feb-2008, 17:13
And the eighth time is even charmier.

davidb
8-Feb-2008, 17:19
hey moderators....can't we mash these into one thread?

Nathan Potter
8-Feb-2008, 17:52
Well, it's nice that there is so much interest in Polaroid film.

Nate Potter

David A. Goldfarb
8-Feb-2008, 18:24
I thought the main market for Polaroid was couples who wanted to take pictures of themselves that they wouldn't want to hand over to their neighborhood druggist. Returning to fundamentals, they tried that approach in marketing the JoyCam (never heard of it? well, I guess it wasn't much of a success), but it was no match for cell phone cams.

Gene McCluney
8-Feb-2008, 18:55
The main markets for Polaroid are testing for shooting 4x5 and medium-format transparencies, Passport and ID photography (still thousands of those cameras out there) and fine-art.

Gene McCluney
8-Feb-2008, 19:03
I looked into it, but the blocking problem is that the equipment needed for rolling the emulsion on the paper has been or is being cannibalized.

Asher

Are you sure that all manufacturing facilities are now being cannibalized, or just the one plant that has been sold a couple years ago that did contract coating for Polaroid and has been for sale for a few months now?
I question your statement because the news stories say Polaroid is making (not "has made") enough film stocks to last thru the end of 2008. The have several plants yet to close down, but they will soon.

Frank Bagbey
8-Feb-2008, 20:28
I love proofing large art work with my polaroid 4x5. I can only pray Fuji bails all of us out and discovers there is profit in polaroid products. If their is, Fuji can probably make it work. Polaroid was more than likely fat and bloated.

D. Bryant
8-Feb-2008, 20:30
I hate to be doom and gloom without all the facts.

No Doom and Gloom just Done and Gone! No investor or manufacturer wants to make an old product with a negative growth rate, and dealers don't want to inventory a product that spoils quickly on the shelf. It's pretty simple economics.

I don't know who makes the film component of PN 55 but that seems like a viable niche product to me that could possibly survive on and be easier to manufacture than an instant film pack, especially as a quick load.

Don Bryant

Ralph Barker
8-Feb-2008, 20:37
Several people have posted new threads about the Polaroid news without skimming the existing threads about the topic. The threads have been merged, so some items may seem out of sequence.

Alex Hawley
8-Feb-2008, 21:36
The main markets for Polaroid are testing for shooting 4x5 and medium-format transparencies, Passport and ID photography (still thousands of those cameras out there) and fine-art.

None of which are near the size of the snapshot market which has been taken over by pixel piss.

Gene McCluney
8-Feb-2008, 21:59
I love proofing large art work with my polaroid 4x5. I can only pray Fuji bails all of us out and discovers there is profit in polaroid products. If their is, Fuji can probably make it work. Polaroid was more than likely fat and bloated.

You can use Fuji right now. FP-100c 4x5. This is pack film ISO 100 . very nice color.

D. Bryant
8-Feb-2008, 22:12
You can use Fuji right now. FP-100c 4x5. This is pack film ISO 100 . very nice color.
Get some right here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/20-BOXES-200-PRINTs-FUJI-FP-100C-4x5-FILM-DATE-10-2007_W0QQitemZ270210131855QQihZ017QQcategoryZ3348QQcmdZViewItem

Don Bryant

Gene McCluney
8-Feb-2008, 22:15
Or you can purchase it from most mail-order and internet photo supply vendors, and it is in ample supply, unlike the remaining Polaroid materials.

adrian tyler
9-Feb-2008, 00:19
you probably all know this, but:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/7236106.stm

davidb
9-Feb-2008, 00:21
Nope...this is the first (trying to keep a straight face)

Ash
9-Feb-2008, 01:05
Dammit. That film went at a price I could have paid! Snooze and Looze!

Kevin Convery
9-Feb-2008, 01:50
I've used the MF Fuji FP-100 but the 4x5 says its in a pack? You can't use that in a regular 545i? I'm confused.

Gene McCluney
9-Feb-2008, 05:16
I've used the MF Fuji FP-100 but the 4x5 says its in a pack? You can't use that in a regular 545i? I'm confused.

Polaroid made a pack back that slides in just like a film holder, as well as a back for individual sheets. I don't know the model number of the pack back, but that is what you use, instead of the 545.

Gene McCluney
9-Feb-2008, 05:17
Dammit. That film went at a price I could have paid! Snooze and Looze!

They have more short dated Fuji instant film...just go to their web store.

David A. Goldfarb
9-Feb-2008, 06:04
Photo Warehouse also often has short dated Fuji instant film and other good deals on film in general. They deal on eBay as "ultrafineonline" and directly at store.ultrafineonline.com. Fuji deals at-- http://www.ultrafineonline.com/fuprfibl.html

Dave Parker
9-Feb-2008, 06:59
Polaroid Made a couple of pack backs that you can use the FP-100 pack film in, the most common one is the 405 pack, and there was the 550 pack back

Photomax
9-Feb-2008, 10:15
This AP wire story as seen on todays 2/9/08 Seattle Times...

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/2004173134_polaroid09.html

Hell, the story is short so I will cutn'paste it:

Polaroid leaving instant-film field

By MARK JEWELL

The Associated Press

BOSTON — Polaroid is dropping the technology it pioneered long before digital photography rendered instant film obsolete to all but a few nostalgia buffs.

Polaroid is closing factories in Massachusetts, Mexico and the Netherlands and cutting 450 jobs as the brand synonymous with instant images focuses on ventures such as a portable printer for images from cellphones and Polaroid-branded digital cameras, televisions and DVD players.

This year's closures will leave Polaroid with 150 employees at its Concord headquarters and a site in the nearby Boston suburb of Waltham, down from peak global employment of nearly 21,000 in 1978.

The company stopped making instant cameras over the past two years.

"We're trying to reinvent Polaroid so it lives on for the next 30 to 40 years," Tom Beaudoin, Polaroid's president, chief operating officer and chief financial officer, said in a phone interview Friday, after the company's plans were reported in The Boston Globe.

Polaroid failed to embrace the digital technology that has transformed photography, instead sticking to its belief that many photographers who didn't want to wait to get pictures developed would hold onto their old Polaroid cameras.

Global sales of traditional camera film have been dropping about 25 percent to 30 percent per year, "and I've got to believe instant film has been falling as fast if not faster," said Ed Lee, a digital-photography analyst at the research firm InfoTrends Inc.

Privately held Polaroid does not disclose financial details of its instant film business.

Polaroid instant film will be available in stores through next year, the company said — after which, Lee said, Japan's Fujifilm will be the only major maker of instant film.

Polaroid got its start making polarized sunglasses in the 1930s, and introduced its first instant camera in 1948. Film packs contained the chemicals for developing images inside the camera, and photos emerged from the camera in less than a minute.

Polaroid's overall revenue from instant cameras, film and other products peaked in 1991 at nearly $3 billion. The company went into bankruptcy in 2001 and was bought four years later for $426 million by Minnetonka, Minn.-based consumer products company Petters Group Worldwide.

Copyright © 2008 The Seattle Times Company

Bill_1856
9-Feb-2008, 10:48
Let us hope the Fuji doesn't discontinue their peal appart products. In fact, pray that they will introduce IOS=100 B&W in 4x5 packs.

Brian Ellis
9-Feb-2008, 10:52
Bought my first 545i holder last week. It's ALL in the timing . . . bad timing, that is.

You can still use it for Readyloads, maybe Quickloads too, I can't remember the final conclusion on compatability with these things. Paul Butzi's web site has the details if you're interested.

Brian Ellis
9-Feb-2008, 11:04
Well, it's nice that there is so much interest in Polaroid film.

Nate Potter

Not really. It's just that all the customers are participating in this thread (or some other thread, I'm not sure where I am right now what with all the links within links within links, seemingly all to the same basic story). : - )

Arne Croell
9-Feb-2008, 11:10
There is a pretty long thread about it on APUG:

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum172/47058-polaroid-discontinued-boston-globe-02-08-08-a.html

Ash
9-Feb-2008, 12:00
So who would like to send me a 545 back and some fuji instant film? :)

Ash
9-Feb-2008, 12:39
...Polaroid are closing dow-

-oh wait. Has this been posted before? :D

I'm sorry I couldn't resist!

Gene McCluney
9-Feb-2008, 13:41
That last news story is somewhat inaccurate. Polaroid were early promoters of digital technology, introducing under their name a digital camera, and quite a few scanners for film that for their time were very good, and are still competetive. (Made by Microtek). In fact the 4x5 film scanner is still desired by some people.

In fact, the scanners were good enough that after Polaroid tanked, Microtek introduced them with very minor updates (basically adding firewire) under their own Artixscan brand.

The news story also didn't address the professional uses of Polaroid materials that are still going on today, such as lighting and exposure testing, Photo ID, etc.

Gordon Moat
9-Feb-2008, 13:45
Just a note of information, Fujifilm Instant FP100C45 will work in the old Polaroid 550 pack film holder. There is also a holder that Fuji make to fit this pack film. This looks very similar to the Polaroid 405 holder, but is physically larger all around, and has much less of a crop (nearly full 4x5 size). You cannot mix and match packs between those holders, since they will not physically fit.

The Polaroid 550 holder is thicker than a 545 holder. While it might fit under a ground glass on some 4x5 cameras, it will likely cause greater tension upon the springs. The suggested way to use these is to remove the ground glass, and use the sliding locks on the camera back in the slots along the edge of the holder.

At this point, what Fujifilm do different with instant films might be a more important issue that future Polaroid availability. Extending one year past any Polaroid film expiration date, there are probably only three to four years of usable Polaroid supply left. In that time, Fujifilm could stick with what they sell now, or expand to other products. Unless Fujifilm see a reasonable demand for something, I doubt they will attempt to produce any greater supply.

There may be a few people on this forum who do Polaroid manipulations (like I do). Fujifilm instant does not really work in this manner. This means that a distinct art form is likely to cease in the near future. At least with the works I have created, I will be increasing all my prices. Perhaps others are considering similar moves.

Ciao!

tim atherton
9-Feb-2008, 13:45
The news story also didn't address the professional uses of Polaroid materials that are still going on today.... Photo ID, etc.

I can't remember the last time I had photo ID done on film - passport photos, drivers licenses, government security passes, museum security passes, business security passes, firearms license, university staff ID, etc etc all done digitally for at least the last 5 or 6 years

tim atherton
9-Feb-2008, 13:54
BTW, the only thing that surprises me about this news is that people are surprised by it (that and the feeling that somehow Polaroid would have sent us little personal notes to give us some kind of forewarning... yep, right)

It was sadly inevitable

Gordon Moat
9-Feb-2008, 13:57
I still see little Passport photo places with Polaroid cameras dedicated to that purpose (those weird multi-lens things). I have also seen Police carrying Polaroid cameras for evidence and documentation photography, though some of them are switching to other gear. Quite likely only Polaroid, or maybe PMAI, really know the status of Polaroid film usage. I was more under the impression that the current Polaroid management didn't care about current usage, and only want the brand name; get rid of enough employees, and use licensing for revenues, then costs are greatly reduced. In theory, the move could generate higher profit potential. However, many companies and industries have failed when they strictly based decisions on numbers. Regardless of that history, nothing will change the move towards shutting down. Use what is left of Polaroid materials as you need them, until they are gone, and then move on to something else.

Ciao!

Gene McCluney
9-Feb-2008, 14:07
The Polaroid 550 holder is thicker than a 545 holder. While it might fit under a ground glass on some 4x5 cameras, it will likely cause greater tension upon the springs. The suggested way to use these is to remove the ground glass, and use the sliding locks on the camera back in the slots along the edge of the holder.

Ciao!

The Polaroid 550 holder "will" fit under the ground glass back on my Sinar, my Crown Graphic and my Toyo monorail. I would only be concerned on the older wooden 4x5 backs that use brass leaf spring type of springs.

Dave Parker
9-Feb-2008, 14:51
Wow, all I can say, is this is one convoluted thread!

LOL

Pfeiffer Duckett
9-Feb-2008, 15:57
I'm surprised that Polaroid doesn't have a press release about this. Also they don't have any warning on their online store-

but they do have a little counter for how many they have in stock, and also have the disclaimer at the bottom.

Dave Parker
9-Feb-2008, 16:15
No Press release....???

The newspapers got it from somewhere!

Ben R
10-Feb-2008, 02:10
Type 55 doesn't even keep well, you can't freeze it, etc. Annoying, you can't buy up years of stock...

chilihead
10-Feb-2008, 09:40
This news is exactly why I sold my Polaroid 545i back early last year. I didn't see how this market segment could stay afloat much longer.

Don Bryant
You should play the stock market - with foresight like the above it wouldn't be long before you could paint "Billionaire" under "Visionary" on your roadside mailbox.

John Kasaian
10-Feb-2008, 10:07
I'm sad to see it go, oh the Polaroid memories!

I remember when my dad brought home one of the first polaroid cameras. The whole family gathered on the front porch to look at the new camera and even the nieghbors from next door and across the street came over to look at the marvelous new contraption. My dad gave it to my Aunt (his sister) as a present, I'm thinking to take photos of her young family as they grew up (they adopted two infants.) I vaguely remember a conversation revolving around how this will surely put Kodak out of business!
When I was in High School I was given a (I think) "Swinger" which I didn't like for some reason or another (now I recall that I thought it was "clunky" since it didn't fold up.)

I had a distant cousin who was an engineer for Polaroid in Massachussetts and spent a lot of time in Mexico on business.

I never did find a polaroid product I found invaluable until I got into LF and found Type 55 though.
Still it's a shame. I feel most sorry for the employees.

BrianShaw
13-Feb-2008, 09:48
Polaroid facility in Waltham to become a retail shopping area called The Commons. If it is like any of the numerous "The Commons" shopping facilities in So Ca. it wll be a nice collection of upscale shops and eateries.

Here's the blurb in teh Waltham newpaper:

http://www.dailynewstribune.com/homepage/x249522700

Dan Schmidt
13-Feb-2008, 11:44

We used to burn through 4x5 polaroids on scanning electron microscopes (SEMs) (20-40 an hour) and also optical microscopes.

This science market must have been pretty large, but has also all but dwindled away too, as all the instruments go direct to computer now. But I always wondered if the science market was a big chunk of polariod's customers. For one thing we did not worry about film cost, although pricey, the cost was still small compared to the total cost of doing research.

BarryS
13-Feb-2008, 11:59
I used to work in a lab and remember one of our cold rooms literally stuffed with cases of Type 55. We used it to document research results using an MP4 copy camera. We also ran through a ton of PolaBlue used for preparing scientific presentations in the pre-Powerpoint days. As Dan mentioned, the costs were considered trivial and if we hit a few bad sheets in an opened box--it was tossed and we opened a new box. Now I'm wondering which organs I might sell, trying to buy some Type 55 before it disappears.

Jerry Flynn
14-Feb-2008, 20:45
Somewhere in this convoluted thread, someone suggested that the maker of the film for Type 55 could market the film alone in ready loads or something.

My understand, which is totally rumor-based, is that the emulsion is Panatomic-X.

I don't think I'll hold my breath waiting for Kodak to release Panatomic-X in sheet film or ready loads.

Raymond L. Fenio
14-Feb-2008, 20:46
I just order 4 boxes of T55 from polaroid. On Feb 11 they had 900 boxes. When I ordered this evening (2/14) there were 5 boxes left.

BrianShaw
14-Feb-2008, 20:53
... and now they have none! Boo-hoo.

D. Bryant
14-Feb-2008, 20:58
Somewhere in this convoluted thread, someone suggested that the maker of the film for Type 55 could market the film alone in ready loads or something.

My understand, which is totally rumor-based, is that the emulsion is Panatomic-X.

I don't think I'll hold my breath waiting for Kodak to release Panatomic-X in sheet film or ready loads.
I was the one that suggested the Ready Load idea. After furhter thought I'll admit that getting the film in Ready Loads is wishful thinking, but if Kodak does indeed produce the film it would be nice to see it sold in sheets. Having said that I suppose that is just wishful thinking.

The truth is that I never used PN 55 to get an instant print, only for the film.

Don Bryant

robert amsden
19-Mar-2008, 19:20
why can't poleroid be moral, if they don't want to make film anymore they should give the plants to the employees.

Gene McCluney
24-Mar-2008, 09:30
why can't poleroid be moral, if they don't want to make film anymore they should give the plants to the employees.

The value of the real estate sold for development is far greater than the revenue generated from continued production of instant films. This is the motivating reason behind Polaroids cessation of film manufacture. Polaroid factories are some of the most valuable real estate in Cambridge left for development. It is bottom line.

Petters group (owners of Polaroid name) is an investment company, not historically involved in the photographic industry, and they are interested in maximizing their investments.

Michael Jones
24-Mar-2008, 09:53
This science market must have been pretty large, but has also all but dwindled away too, as all the instruments go direct to computer now. But I always wondered if the science market was a big chunk of polariod's customers.

Since the thread is convoluted, I feel comfortable stepping in...

I remember speaking to a fellow in 2003 at a photo supply house in East Tennessee who lamented digital because his film sales to Oak Ridge (that Oak Ridge) dropped from $100,000 per month to less than $1,000. Imagine the effect of a hundred more facilities like that across the country on Polaroid and Kodak.

Mike

D. Bryant
24-Mar-2008, 14:19

I assume you mean, why not let the employees purchase the company.

Don Bryant

D. Bryant
24-Mar-2008, 14:29
The value of the real estate sold for development is far greater than the revenue generated from continued production of instant films. This is the motivating reason behind Polaroids cessation of film manufacture. Polaroid factories are some of the most valuable real estate in Cambridge left for development. It is bottom line.

Petters group (owners of Polaroid name) is an investment company, not historically involved in the photographic industry, and they are interested in maximizing their investments.

I don't remember reading that but in any case the root problem is that Polaroid isn't profitable enough because their film sales have plummeted and their transition to digital products have tanked. I don't think the owners actions are immoral and the management has a perfect right to sell the property.

I don't think the Peters group would sell a money machine if it were making enough profit and the same premise goes for a film plant/company.

The slowdown and consolidation of the film industry has been going on since the '60s, but has been more accelerated over the past 25 years. As sad as it may be, get used to it, the decline will continue.

Don Bryant

mdd99
25-Mar-2008, 17:06
I wonder if Polaroid could contract out the film production for a fee and let the subcontractor take on the risk and keep the product alive. Companies do this all of the time while they refocus their business, thereby continuing to generate income from their older but still valid intellectual property.

Dirk Rösler
25-Mar-2008, 18:34
I wonder if Polaroid could contract out the film production for a fee and let the subcontractor take on the risk and keep the product alive. Companies do this all of the time while they refocus their business, thereby continuing to generate income from their older but still valid intellectual property.

OK - should be easy enough to find someone to take such a risk of producing a product that is selling to an ever shrinking niche market, right?

scrichton
28-Mar-2008, 02:49
Unfortunately with companies releasing digital cameras that can be used in courts as evidence (some trackable file type meta data) and the polaroid money pot ( the average brainless fool who goes snap happy ) The market has died long ago for them. X-Ray went largely digital, Passport booths I remember as far back as 1998 being digital. If they had developed what Fuji tried to, which was the digital instant camera. I think that could have kept them afloat in the field. I would have loved one of them. The only other thing could have been a true reverse scanning packfilm printer. However I think the R&D department got sidetracked from the start trying as kodak to break the new field over the people who already knew it best. Rather than working on strengthening their products by augmentation they completely deviated. Sad to know my single sheet of type 55 will be last and the 2 packs of 600(sx70) will probably be the last I will see of the click and wait excitement.

jb7
28-Mar-2008, 03:14
I wonder how much the last pack of 55 will go for on ebay?
Already the prices are rising.

It'd be a valuable commodity to have bought futures in-
and I'm sure many have- the only risk being an outside chance that some other party might produce it under license.

Someone should begin plotting that graph now-

joseph

Gene McCluney
29-Mar-2008, 19:24
I have been told by my film and photo supplies vendor that the pack film size used for making ID and passport photos is actually increasing in sales of late. (Prior to Polaroids announcement of quitting film). It seems the new passport requirements have people scrambling to get passport type photos made. Small mom & pop operations who have working Photo ID cameras that take Polaroid type materials have been reluctant to switch to digital when their expensive Polaroid equipment still works just fine.

Ted Stoddard
29-Mar-2008, 20:55
As a photographer and a consumer, I have seen many of Polaroid products and most of them are crap and not worth buying but I will definitely buy as much Type 55 film as I can... Pretty soon each box will go for an outrageous amount of cash I also believe that prints made from these types of negatives will also go up and be highly collectible over time...Some company needs to take over the film making from Polaroid before its too late and they scrap all the metal from the machines making the films and etc... Just my 2 cents...