PDA

View Full Version : Ebony Wholeplate

Howard Tanger
7-Feb-2008, 15:45
My new Ebony Wholeplate camera arrived this morning. Kinda nice.
Howard Tanger

Richard K.
7-Feb-2008, 15:52
My new Ebony Wholeplate camera arrived this morning. Kinda nice.
Howard Tanger

Well, my holders arrived yesterday from Austria...I'll have the camera in a couple of weeks....:D

David Karp
7-Feb-2008, 16:31
Congrats.

Photos?

Doug Dolde
7-Feb-2008, 16:35
only "kinda nice" ?

Howard Tanger
7-Feb-2008, 22:10
Hi Doug: Well it is truly "very", "very" kinda nice. Howard

only "kinda nice" ?

Rob_5419
8-Feb-2008, 02:54
;)

Congrats Howard! It must look stunning. Had a chance to use it yet?

Dave Wooten
8-Feb-2008, 05:12
Ebony? I've also heard that they are kinda nice.:)

Sal Santamaura
8-Feb-2008, 09:02
Howard,

I notice that the film holders are made of cherry and ebony:

http://www.ebonycamera.com/popup.html?../media/acc/wpfilmholder1_big.jpg
http://www.ebonycamera.com/popup.html?../media/acc/wpfilmholder2_big.jpg

Ebony hasn't posted specifications for them and I'm curious what they weigh. If you can put one on a postal scale, I'd appreciate knowing the result.

Howard Tanger
8-Feb-2008, 12:07
Hi Sal: I just weighed one of the holders and it is 1lb - 4oz (565 grams). Howard

Howard,

I notice that the film holders are made of cherry and ebony:
Ebony hasn't posted specifications for them and I'm curious what they weigh. If you can put one on a postal scale, I'd appreciate knowing the result.

George Hart
8-Feb-2008, 12:29
Have you full-plate devotees appreciated that there seems to be a new non-folding camera in the Ebony line-up, here http://www.ebonycamera.com/cam/main.wholeplateS.wholeplateSE.html?

Looks wonderful. It is appropriate to invoke recollection of the tenth commandment. I have no connection with this company other than owning 2 of their (smaller) products!

Sal Santamaura
8-Feb-2008, 13:54
Hi Sal: I just weighed one of the holders and it is 1lb - 4oz (565 grams). HowardThanks Howard. All I can say is "wow." I expected them to be heavier considering the use of ebony wood, but 20 oz. compared to my Lotus' 13.5 oz. is a remarkable difference. It's probably a good thing you only have two of them to carry around. :)

Howard Tanger
8-Feb-2008, 16:50
Hi Sal: I am sure that I will need a few more holders in the future but at the moment I am waiting until the Fotoman holders are on the market. Quality should be high and I hope that they will be a good fit for my camera. Preliminary prices mentioned
are much,much less than those from Ebony. I presume their weight will be less also.
How many holders do you have for your whole plate? Howard

Thanks Howard. All I can say is "wow." I expected them to be heavier considering the use of ebony wood, but 20 oz. compared to my Lotus' 13.5 oz. is a remarkable difference. It's probably a good thing you only have two of them to carry around. :)

Sal Santamaura
8-Feb-2008, 20:06
...How many holders do you have for your whole plate?...When starting this adventure I wanted enough holders to load for short trips so it wouldn't be necessary to reload in the field. That led me to purchase a dozen from Lotus, one of which formed the basis for designing our cameras' back. After evaluating the sample 5x7 Chamonix holders Hugo provided, I ordered 14 of those. My Chamonix holders haven't arrived yet. However, if they're as good as the sample holders were in terms of fit, finish and function, I suspect my Lotus holders will be sitting in reserve most of the time. :)

Oren Grad
8-Feb-2008, 20:21
I am waiting until the Fotoman holders are on the market...I presume their weight will be less also.

Not necessarily. The prototype was pretty hefty.

audioexcels
23-Feb-2008, 21:08
Hi Sal: I just weighed one of the holders and it is 1lb - 4oz (565 grams). Howard

Howard,

Would you do me a huge favor and measure the actual surface area that the sheet will see. In other words, can you measure the film holder's surface area and provide the actual measurements of this. I'm fumbling a bit with some holders I have from the older plate days and they seem to show 6 1/8" by 8 1/8" which is a far cry from what it seems it should be.

Thanks Howard!

Howard Tanger
1-Mar-2008, 11:28
I measured the image area of my new Ebony wholeplate holders and it is 6 1/8" by
8 1/8". Howard

Howard,

Would you do me a huge favor and measure the actual surface area that the sheet will see. In other words, can you measure the film holder's surface area and provide the actual measurements of this. I'm fumbling a bit with some holders I have from the older plate days and they seem to show 6 1/8" by 8 1/8" which is a far cry from what it seems it should be.

Thanks Howard!

Diane Maher
4-Mar-2008, 08:16
How did you order Chamonix whole plate holders, Sal? I wonder if they will fit a Century whole plate camera?

Sal Santamaura
4-Mar-2008, 10:45
How did you order Chamonix whole plate holders, Sal? I wonder if they will fit a Century whole plate camera?As with all things Chamonix, for those in the US, ordering is best accomplished through Hugo Zhang.

When Oren and I did the groundwork for Fotoman's film holders, Oren measured his Century and some other vintage cameras. My email records include only a range of results he got for those backs, not specific measurements for the Century. Oren's figures were 198mm - 199mm wide and 233mm - 234mm from groove to end. Perhaps Oren can chime in to refine this but, in the meantime, look here:

http://www.apug.org/forums/519658-post11.html

You'll see that my Lotus (Chamonix is duplicating these measurements) holders are 198mm wide and 233.4mm from taped end to start of lock rib. So, depending on whether your Century is at the low or high end of those ranges, Lotus/Chamonix holders will either not fit your camera or fit like a glove. Unless humidity variations throw all this out the window. :)

Oren Grad
6-Mar-2008, 10:07
Diane, the back on my Century wants a holder less than 199mm wide and with a distance from taped end to beginning of rib lock of no more than 233mm. Allowing for a bit of slop in my measurements and depending on Chamonix's production tolerances, it could be a very close call as to whether Sal's holders would fit, with the likeliest problem being whether the locking rib will seat properly in the groove.

Diane Maher
7-Mar-2008, 11:55
Thanks guys. It looks like I'll be sticking with my bookform holders for a while.

Oren Grad
7-Mar-2008, 12:53
Thanks guys. It looks like I'll be sticking with my bookform holders for a while.

Diane, the measurements on my Century went into the mix in figuring out specifications for the Fotoman holders. So if those make it into production and if they adhere closely to the specifications, they should fit.

When I have a production holder in hand I will post actual dimensions so that you and anyone else who may be interested can double check against your cameras.

Sal Santamaura
19-Mar-2008, 13:49
It looks like Hiromi has been making more types of holders to fit our SV Wholeplate cameras:

http://www.ebonycamera.com/acc.html#wrsfh

I wonder who they're for?