PDA

View Full Version : Defective film?

jwarren116
6-Feb-2008, 02:23
I just got back to using FP4+ film with 4x5. I opened a nice fresh box, loaded it, shot it, then developed it (in a daylight tank). Part way through fixing I checked the film and noticed some odd lines on the non-emulsion side. Figured I was seeing things, so I continued the process. After they dried I checked them and saw that the scratches are in fact still there. I haven't printed from them yet, but I'm a little worried. I've never had the problem in the past, but I'm also just getting into 4x5. The scratches are on the non-emulsion side, and seem consistent across the entire sheet. They are 1mm apart or so, and they're kinda squigley. They almost look like cracks. Initially I thought they were cracks in the emulsion, but they're on the wrong side. Any ideas what they could possibly be? I'm going to try to print them tomorrow in hopes that they don't show up. I appreciate all the info folks!

Chuck Pere
6-Feb-2008, 06:49
Maybe you could take a couple sheets straight from the box and process them. Top and bottom of the stack. That might help narrow it down to the film. Then go to Ilford for a replacement.

John Bowen
6-Feb-2008, 07:41
Don't precess them, just fix them in a tray of fix. It could be your processing drum that is impacting the film. Try and eliminate as many variables as possible.

chy
6-Feb-2008, 21:15
Other things to check for are your film holders and developing tank. You didn't say what kind of tank you are using, but the method of loading is something to check especially if it involves some kind of sliding action to load the film.

I think just pulling a few sheets of film out of the box and examining them in room light without even developing them will tell you if that box was the "Premium, Value-enhanced Pre-scratched Emulsion". :)

tim atherton
6-Feb-2008, 22:12
there are a few threads around on this same problem (try searching for FP4). In most cases it appears to be a manufacturing fault and it seems to be happening with some regularity.

Jim Noel
7-Feb-2008, 10:03
"there are a few threads around on this same problem (try searching for FP4). In most cases it appears to be a manufacturing fault and it seems to be happening with some regularity."

That is odd. I use a few hundred sheets of FP4+ in several sizes each year. I have never seen these scratches. If I add the film used by my students each year it must add up to a few thousand sheets each year, and I have never observed it on student negatives either.