PDA

View Full Version : Using Jobo roller base with expert 3010 or 3006?

Arne Norris
4-Feb-2008, 15:50
Is it possible to use either the Jobo 3010 or 3006 drums with the manual Jobo roller base 1509? I'm new to daylight 4x5 developing. I need a relatively inexpensive setup, and the motorized bases seem very expensive. However the expert drums seem like the best.

Anyone using this setup?

venchka
4-Feb-2008, 16:33
I found a Unicolor Uniroller base for $20 in a Houston, TX camera shop. I think the Jobo manual base is $25 plus shipping. I like the Uniroller base. I have used it for two batches of 6 sheets each in the Jobo expert 3010 tank. Everything is fine so far.

Eric Biggerstaff
4-Feb-2008, 16:51
Arnie,

Yes, that base will work but as Wayne said, you can find the Unicolor or Beseler motor bases on eBay all the time for cheap ($20 to $30). Get one (or two) for use with the drums.

You will need a funnel to get the chemicals into the drum (I found a great one at an auto supply store), then you will be set up.

Jerzy Pawlowski
4-Feb-2008, 19:20
I use Beseler motor base and works great with Jobo 3010. However I've employed transformer to slow it down, was running over 30 rpm and with transformer I got around 20 rpm. At the same time I use always same amount of liquid (regardless of number of sheets), motor is relatively weak and I noticed that speed of rotation depends on volume of developer.

Ron Marshall
4-Feb-2008, 19:30
I've been hand-rolling the 3010 and 3006 on the Jobo manual roller-base for two years now, and it works perfectly.

A Jobo tech recommended 50 rpm and reversing direction every two to three turns.

PM me if you need any info.

I've used D76, XTOL, Pyrocat-HD, Rodinal; all worked well.

Marko
4-Feb-2008, 20:32
Ron, I'm just just curious, which film are you using in Rodinal with constant agitation and what kind of results are you getting with the combo?

Ron Marshall
4-Feb-2008, 20:58
Ron, I'm just just curious, which film are you using in Rodinal with constant agitation and what kind of results are you getting with the combo?

A while ago, I did a series of tests with different films and devs. Considering grain, resolution and speed I settled on TMX in XTOL; but TMX in Rodinal gave pleasant grain and good highlight separation.

Arne Norris
5-Feb-2008, 17:47
Thank you all for the replies!

Chuck Pere
6-Feb-2008, 07:04
Did Jobo ever say in writing how you get the chemicals into the drum when using the manual roller base? I assume you pour into the vertical drum then put it on the roller and start. With my motor base I've always poured the chemicals in using a flexible funnel with the drum turning. Just wondering if Jobo said it was OK to do it while not turning.

venchka
6-Feb-2008, 10:44
Did Jobo ever say in writing how you get the chemicals into the drum when using the manual roller base? I assume you pour into the vertical drum then put it on the roller and start. With my motor base I've always poured the chemicals in using a flexible funnel with the drum turning. Just wondering if Jobo said it was OK to do it while not turning.

One time may not be a fair trial, but that's what I did the first and last time I used my 3010 with manual rotation. I poured the developer in and then placed the tank on it's side and started turning. I switched directions about every 10 revolutions. I know I was nowhere near near 50 rom. Perhaps 20-30 rpm. The negatives were uniform. After that, I found the Uniroller. I use a funnel with a flexible hose. Much nicer.

Ron Marshall
6-Feb-2008, 12:32

The drum fills in 15 seconds, (I use a maximum of 500ml) and my times are always longer than 6 minutes so filling vertically is not a problem and I have never had spotting or uneven development.