PDA

View Full Version : Old vs New T-Max 400

steve simmons
4-Feb-2008, 12:29
We have added a comparison of the old and new versions of T-Max 400 into the Subscriber Section of the View Camera web site. This article will also be in the March/April issue. It is a very thorough comparison and a nicely written article by Sandy King.

We have also added a slightly enhanced version of the 7x17 Project: Part 2 into the Subscriber Section as well.

steve simmons

Sal Santamaura
4-Feb-2008, 14:12
We have added a comparison of the old and new versions of T-Max 400 into the Subscriber Section of the View Camera web site...There's an error at the top of page 51. Per Kodak's technical publications, RMS granularity of TMY is 11; TMY-2 is 10. Both are stated for development in undiluted D-76.

cotdt
4-Feb-2008, 14:26
I'll read the article when I get the chance. But quick question: how to differientiate between TMY-1 and TMY-2?

sanking
4-Feb-2008, 14:48
There's an error at the top of page 51. Per Kodak's technical publications, RMS granularity of TMY is 11; TMY-2 is 10. Both are stated for development in undiluted D-76.

You are correct as regards the RMS figures of Kodak for TMY and TMY-2. However, I did not use the RMS granularity figure of Kodak for TMY, but data that was summarized in filmscan.ru, based on development in T-max developer. The filmscan.ru data is more interesting to me because it includes RMS figures for a long list of recent films, including B&W, color negative and color transparency.

Sandy King

steve simmons
4-Feb-2008, 14:50
I'll read the article when I get the chance. But quick question: how to differientiate between TMY-1 and TMY-2?

I need to make a slight revision of the article and will add a photo of the new box of T-Max 400.

steve

Sal Santamaura
4-Feb-2008, 15:07
....data that was summarized in filmscan.ru, based on development in T-max developer. The filmscan.ru data is more interesting to me because it includes RMS figures for a long list of recent films, including B&W, color negative and color transparency...OK, I cry "uncle." Can't find a way to select english and there are many pages on that site. Would you supply a link to the relevant list please? Thanks!

sanking
4-Feb-2008, 15:18
OK, I cry "uncle." Can't find a way to select english and there are many pages on that site. Would you supply a link to the relevant list please? Thanks!

The relevant link for the summarized data is

http://cacreeks.com/films.htm#filmscan

The important point is that RMS values for most films may be different depending on developer. I tried to eliminate that variable by using D76 1:1 for both TMY and TMY-2. I have no way to determine the actual RMS value that results, but there is no question but that TMY-2 shows finer grain than TMY.

Sandy

steve simmons
4-Feb-2008, 16:30
We've put up a slightly revised version that includes a photo of the box for the new version.

thanks

steve