PDA

View Full Version : Oh No Not another Chamonix question!

Dave - Landscapes
31-Jan-2008, 07:23
Just placed my order for a Chamonix 45N-1 and Hugo was most helpful. Now only have to wait it out for six months!! Intend to use my Horseman 6x12 roll film back and of course Fuji Quickloads.

I'm interested to hear from anyone who is using/intends to use the Horseman folding reflex viewer with the camera. Can it be done or does it need some kind of adapter?

Saw where a right angled viewer identical to a Cambo T20(?) seemed to attach with some adapter but can't find any details on what I need to order. Photo was kindly supplied by Songyun in the thread on accessories.

Can any of you lucky Chamonix owners help please?

Regards

Dave :D

BarryS
31-Jan-2008, 07:30
The 45N-1 accessories (including the reflex viewer) aren't available yet, so we'll have to wait until Hugo gives us the info. I'd be surprised if the stock Horseman viewer would fit the 45N-1 without having a conversion plate made, but I suppose it's possible. You'd think there would be some viewing hood options that could take advantage of the graflock back, but I haven't found anything yet.

Ted Harris
31-Jan-2008, 08:12
Well ..... the stock Horseman 6x9 roll holder fits perfectly so I would guess that the viewer does as well.

BarryS
31-Jan-2008, 08:39
Ted-- How does the viewer attach?

Walter Calahan
31-Jan-2008, 09:25
No, I thought you wanted to know about the quality skiing at Chamonix? Never mind.

Grin.

Songyun
31-Jan-2008, 09:37
Just placed my order for a Chamonix 45N-1 and Hugo was most helpful. Now only have to wait it out for six months!! Intend to use my Horseman 6x12 roll film back and of course Fuji Quickloads.

I'm interested to hear from anyone who is using/intends to use the Horseman folding reflex viewer with the camera. Can it be done or does it need some kind of adapter?

Saw where a right angled viewer identical to a Cambo T20(?) seemed to attach with some adapter but can't find any details on what I need to order. Photo was kindly supplied by Songyun in the thread on accessories.

Can any of you lucky Chamonix owners help please?

Regards

Dave :D
I think you need an adapter to mount the reflex viewer, so far I know that the adapter will fit cambo reflex viewer. I have seen ppl stick something on the back to mount the reflex viewer(See the attached photos), but I would prefer to the mounting adapter. Since you need to wait 6 months for the camera, I am sure that by that time the adapter will be available. :)

Dave - Landscapes
1-Feb-2008, 02:19
Thanks all for your comments.

BarryS - you are right! I'll have to be patient and wait. And yes, I'm in the same boat as you and haven't found anything suitable without conversion plates or adapters needed. I'm disappointed I haven't inspired you into verse on this one!! You must be too busy playing with your Chamonix.

Ted - the roll film backs should fit no problem because the sliders will hold them on. But the viewers - well that's a different story!

Walter - could do with some snow down here at the moment. It's been very hot the last couple of weeks and we are only half way through summer.

Songyun - thanks for the images. I don't like sticking something on the back either. Much better to have an adapter to fit properly.

Oh well, I've got plenty of time to wait.

Dave

Clement Apffel
17-Feb-2008, 04:08
Hi all !

As i have few questions about the Chamonix 045N-1, i found appropriate not to start another topic and to post my questions within that well named thread.

in the past week, i spend some time exploring the internet looking for exact technical details concerning the Chamonix 4x5.
i found almost everything i wanted to know in order to compare and think about my final choice.

However, i still have some interrogation marks, if i may :

My first question is about the use of a 90mm : does the standard bellow restrain the movements in any way with a standard lensboard ?
What about a recessed lensboard ?

does the camera fold properly with a Rodenstock Grandagon-N 90mm F6,8 on it ? (i guess not but i would like some user to confirm or undermine this fact)

And does it fold with some lenses on it at all ?

Another detail i wasn’t able to find are the exact value of front and rear tilt and swing.

Thanks to anyone answering my questions !

See you online.

Regards,

Songyun
17-Feb-2008, 08:58
Hi all !

As i have few questions about the Chamonix 045N-1, i found appropriate not to start another topic and to post my questions within that well named thread.

in the past week, i spend some time exploring the internet looking for exact technical details concerning the Chamonix 4x5.
i found almost everything i wanted to know in order to compare and think about my final choice.

My first question is about the use of a 90mm : does the standard bellow restrain the movements in any way with a standard lensboard ?

does the camera fold properly with a Rodenstock Grandagon-N 90mm F6,8 on it ? (i guess not but i would like some user to confirm or undermine this fact)

Another detail i wasn’t able to find are the exact value of front and rear tilt and swing.

See you online.

Regards,

1. yes, ( I get at least 10mm rise and fall, I never used a recessed board, but you can wait for a bag bellow or universal bellow, by the time you get your camera, these accessories will be available)

2. no

3. no

4. front limited by bellow, rear I didn't measure.

Gary Samson
17-Feb-2008, 20:27
Hi all !

See you online.

Regards,

I have a Schneider 47mm Super-Angulon mounted on a recessed lens board that focuses at infinity with the standard Chamonix 45N-1 bellows and there is some rise, fall and swing that is usable. The camera will not close with a mounted lens.

Clement Apffel
18-Feb-2008, 01:21
Thanks to both of you for your answers.

I'll expose my situation now to get other advices.
i'm a full time photographer. quite young though.
i use LF for my work with a Cambo SCX monorail, and i'm fully satisfied with it.

i'm looking for a folding camera 4x5" for my recreation. not for my work.
i'd like to have a LF i can easily bring with me anywhere to shoot landscapes and architecture.
i mainly use 90mm and 150mm lenses.

for those reasons, i am looking for a folding that allow a lot of movements.
the weight isn't necesseraly my main priority for this camera.

after some investigations, i spoted 3 models that could match my demand and my needs.

those are :

Ebony SV45Ti wich is quite over the price i allowed myself to pay. therefore i'm looking for a used one.

Shen Hao HZX 45 II A

And finaly that newly born Chamonix 045N-1

What i liked with the Ebony and the Shen Hao was their quite large amount of movements on both standards.

what i disliked was the fact that their GG doesn't seems protected when folded.

The Ebony seems to need a bag bellow to allow decent moves with the 90mm.

The Shen Hao and its universal bellow seemed therefore a quite good choice for me.

But then came the Chamonix !

That is why i would like to know exactly the moves of each standards and if the bellow allow all of them with a 90mm ?

What did you mean exactly by that ?
the standard bellow doesn't allow all the possible moves on the front ? even with a 150mm ?

what about the Shen Hao ? Is that universal bellow really that good with a 90mm ?

i guess it is possible to make a wooden plate in order to protect the GG in folded position ?

Does anyone have some advice about those questions and that choice to make ?

Another point : it seems that the shen hao and the ebony allows to fold the camera with a 90mm. (grandagon-N) am i right on this point ?

once again, thanks to anyone answering.

see you online,
regards,

Jiri Vasina
18-Feb-2008, 01:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Songyun View Post

the standard bellow doesn't allow all the possible moves on the front ? even with a 150mm ?

I'll answer that even I'm not the one that said it. Saying that some movement is (only) limited by the bellows means that there is nothing to stop the movement until you pull/push/fold/stretch the bellows to the limits - usually much further than is needed or intended. Generally it means that the movements in the regard are ample enough for nearly all uses.

Hope it helps.

Clement Apffel
18-Feb-2008, 02:20
Oh, ok.
my bad, i didn't understand it this way.

but that's surely what was ment here.

thanks !

Gordon Moat
18-Feb-2008, 13:24
. . . . . landscapes and architecture.
i mainly use 90mm and 150mm lenses.

for those reasons, i am looking for a folding that allow a lot of movements.
the weight isn't . . . . . . . .
Ebony SV45Ti wich is quite over the price i allowed myself to pay. therefore i'm looking for a used one.

Shen Hao HZX 45 II A

And finaly that newly born Chamonix 045N-1

What i liked with the Ebony and the Shen Hao was their quite large amount of movements on both standards.

what i disliked was the fact that their GG doesn't seems protected when folded.

The Ebony seems to need a bag bellow to allow decent moves with the 90mm.

The Shen Hao and its universal bellow seemed therefore a quite good choice for me.

But then came the Chamonix !

That is why i would like to know exactly the moves of each standards and if the bellow allow all of them with a 90mm ?

what about the Shen Hao ? Is that universal bellow really that good with a 90mm ?

i guess it is possible to make a wooden plate in order to protect the GG in folded position ?

Does anyone have some advice about those questions and that choice to make ?

Another point : it seems that the shen hao and the ebony allows to fold the camera with a 90mm. (grandagon-N) am i right on this point ?

once again, thanks to anyone answering.

see you online,
regards,

I have made my own wooden ground glass protector for my Shen-Hao, though you could just buy one of the low cost plastic versions for cheap. It does help to have one of these, regardless of what camera you own. If you got the folding hood instead, that does provide fairly good protection for the ground glass.

I think most 90mm lenses might be a little too big to fold up with an Ebony or Shen-Hao, though many modern 150mm lenses probably will. It also depends upon whether you want to fold up the lens into the camera without the lens caps on it; I don't know why someone would do that, because there is a dust issue. If you will have the caps on the lens, then consider reversing the lens board on the camera, and it will make folding the lens into the camera easier.

Good luck on finding a good deal on a used Ebony. They definitely seem to hold their value quite well. You might consider a used Wista, or even a TOYO AX instead, or maybe a Tachihara. I have a Shen-Hao HZX45A-II, like the wide range of movements, and don't mind the weight. If I were to consider buying again today, I would still get the same camera.

You can use a 90mm on the Shen-Hao with a flat lens board and the standard bellows. If you want to use some extreme movements, then the bag bellows provides less resistance and makes that easier. You don't need the bag bellows to use a 90mm, but if you go to a 75mm, it would make using that easier. If you buy your Shen-Hao new, then the bellows is sort of stiff; you might want to work with it a while to allow it to move easier.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat Photography (http://www.gordonmoat.com)

Mick Fagan
19-Feb-2008, 01:05
I have the same Shen Hoa as Gordon.

I have an old Schneider Angulon 6.8 90 which when reversed, folds with the camera.

I also have the Fuji 6.8 150 (small one with the writing inside the filter mount) it also folds with the camera when reversed.

I have also looked at the Chamonix thread(s) and was very interested, but I'm sticking with what I have as I think it is an extremely good little camera, Like Gordon if I had my choice, I would purchase another Shen Hoa.

I can use the 90mm with the standard bellows, it's mounted on a Linhof 10mm recessed board. There isn't much movement though before you run out of coverage.

Mick.