PDA

View Full Version : Does T setting cause vibration?

timparkin
30-Jan-2008, 11:01
I've been wondering whether T setting is more likely to introduce vibration than B setting? My gut feeling says that the motion of withdrawing the 'pin' and then inserting it again while the shutter is open could introduce vibration. Using the B setting, the cable release doesn't move much when the shutter is open.

What do people use and has anybody any strong opinions on the matter?

Tim

Gordon Moat
30-Jan-2008, 12:31
On the Copal shutters on my lenses, the closing of shutter blades is so fast that I doubt any vibration is affecting the image. If you were doing multiple exposures, then maybe you need to worry about camera movement. On time exposures, I don't think you would notice. The shutter closing is such a brief moment in overall shutter time, I don't think it would be possible to measure, nor to see results of affects.

I do quite a bit of night images and long exposures. What I found was that T was more reliable, just because I didn't have to worry about the release cable. I have a cheap release cable, and a Linhof release, and both seem more positive without using the locking set-up and B setting.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat Photography (http://www.gordonmoat.com)

Eric Rose
30-Jan-2008, 13:10
Even if there was a vibration on a very long exposure you wouldn't see it unless there was a very bright light in the frame. In which case it would be blown out anyway.

I always use the T setting for anything over 5 seconds.

walter23
30-Jan-2008, 13:15
I've been wondering whether T setting is more likely to introduce vibration than B setting? My gut feeling says that the motion of withdrawing the 'pin' and then inserting it again while the shutter is open could introduce vibration. Using the B setting, the cable release doesn't move much when the shutter is open.

What do people use and has anybody any strong opinions on the matter?

Tim

I'd imagine this only really matters for 2 second exposures or so. Above that you've got the bulk of your exposure going on during the interval when your shutter / cable isn't being disturbed anyway.

Either way (T or B) is going to introduce some vibration. T as you've described (or when picking up the shutter release cable again), B if you hold it open by hand (transmission from hand shakes) or when you try to release the lock on your cable.

I don't usually worry too much about it but I find T is a bit easier to manage. I use bulb only for 2 second exposures (and then with some serious trepidation; I hate holding the cable while my camera is exposing). I try to avoid 2 second exposures, which is ironic given that like 60% of my exposures seem to end up needing exactly 2 seconds ;)

timparkin
30-Jan-2008, 13:25
I don't usually worry too much about it but I find T is a bit easier to manage. I use bulb only for 2 second exposures (and then with some serious trepidation; I hate holding the cable while my camera is exposing). I try to avoid 2 second exposures, which is ironic given that like 60% of my exposures seem to end up needing exactly 2 seconds ;)

Thanks Walter - That's the conclusion I've reached - T for 10+ seconds, B for less than 10...

Always good to hear it from someone else though (I hate timing two second exposures too - it's got to be just about the most inaccurate length to manage sitting right between the shutter 1sec and an accurate watch 10+ seconds...)

Tim

rippo
30-Jan-2008, 18:06
i find two seconds to be reasonably easy to time. just think of your favorite disco tune, which is likely to be 120 bpm. count four beats, and release on the fifth. even if you accidentally pick a 'house/techno' tune and come in at 128 bpm, that's going to be 1.8 seconds rather than 2...not a major difference.

(sorry, i'm in the music business, and this really works for me. :) )

gregstidham
30-Jan-2008, 19:52
I would think the symmetrical design of a leaf shutter would cause very little vibration. Using "T" or "B" is just a personal preference.

If shake with "T" is still worrying you, hold something in front of the lens while you open the shutter and block the lens again before you close it. I do this if I forget or lose my cable release. With this technique you don't even need a shutter. :) You could just open the lens and close it like you do for focusing.

David Karp
30-Jan-2008, 21:49
Also, don't plunge the release down with lots of force. Instead, gently push the plunger gently. I think that jarring the camera/lens combo with a rough jab from the cable release is more likely to cause shake than the shutter.