PDA

View Full Version : Graphic view camera

trink408
30-Jan-2008, 06:20
I was looking around at buying a used 4x5 view camera, and I'm wondering what a Graphic view camera is worth?

I found a few, but I really don't know what a good price is...

If someone could give me a ballpark figure I would appreciate it.

thanks

Bill_1856
30-Jan-2008, 07:18
$125-200, depending on the lens and condition, and whether it's a GV1 or GV2. The most desirable arrangement is a GV2 with Graflock back and Kodak 203mm Ektar lens.
You may never need another 4x5 viewcamera.

Ernest Purdum
30-Jan-2008, 10:31
The Graphic View II is indeed a nice camera, but there is something to watch out for. After all these years, the focusing mechanism is apt to be worn to the point that it may start skipping teeth of the rack. This quickly ruins the rack. Sometimes adjustment cures the problem before damage occurs, but sometimes not.

Even though the Calumet CC-400 series lacks a Graflok back, I think it is a safer buy unless the Graphic View comes with trial privilege.

Jim Noel
30-Jan-2008, 20:11
The Graphic View II is indeed a nice camera, but there is something to watch out for. After all these years, the focusing mechanism is apt to be worn to the point that it may start skipping teeth of the rack. This quickly ruins the rack. Sometimes adjustment cures the problem before damage occurs, but sometimes not.

Even though the Calumet CC-400 series lacks a Graflok back, I think it is a safer buy unless the Graphic View comes with trial privilege.

The CC-400 is even more likely to have a worn out focusing mechanism, and the only way to cure it is to make a new wheel.

John Kasaian
30-Jan-2008, 20:57
I've had both the CC-400 and a GVII---both are great cameras! Either one in good condition for $125 including a lensboard, is a steal. FWIW, I wouldn't go over $200 for a GVII or a CC-400.

trink408
31-Jan-2008, 07:34
Thanks for the advice guys, I will keep looking around until something descent comes my way...