PDA

View Full Version : OT:new Fuji MF camera

tim atherton
29-Jan-2008, 20:22
does anyone know anything about the new MF camera Fuji is supposed to be bringing out? PMA?

roteague
29-Jan-2008, 20:50
Just rumors at this point. It's a prototype camera, supposed to be presented at a "special" event - whatever that is.

From Fuji's press release:

"Medium-Format Film Camera

In a special exhibit, Fujifilm will feature a prototype of a new portable medium-format film camera. Even as the company innovates in digital imaging technology, Fujifilm remains true to its heritage and to the acknowledged superior image quality delivered by professional photographic film products. Fujifilm is committed to further expanding the world of imaging whether in digital or analog technologies."

Nathan Potter
29-Jan-2008, 21:40
I wonder; should we offer congratulations or condolences to the Fuji marketing team! But I'll surely offer my congratulations to Fuji engineering team if this is true.

Nate Potter

Kuzano
29-Jan-2008, 23:44
I wonder; should we offer congratulations or condolences to the Fuji marketing team! But I'll surely offer my congratulations to Fuji engineering team if this is true.

Nate Potter

Fuji has done very much over the years to win my loyalty. It would be a real surprise to see them make a mistake on this one. My reasoning is that they have repeatedly hit home runs in the medium format market with very little ballyhoo. So, for them to leak or pre-announce a new product makes me hopeful we will see a great new product.

Frank Petronio
29-Jan-2008, 23:54
Why wouldn't it be an uncrippled Hasselblad H3 type Camera?

bsimison
30-Jan-2008, 05:36
Any speculation about the format? Is it going to be another 645 point and shoot?

Nigels
30-Jan-2008, 06:04
I'd like to see multi format (6x6, 6x7,6x9, 6x12, 6x17) capabilty in one body. hmmmm. Trouble is, would make my GSW690 a bit redundant.

tim atherton
30-Jan-2008, 09:50
Why wouldn't it be an uncrippled Hasselblad H3 type Camera?

You mean a film version... :-)

David A. Goldfarb
30-Jan-2008, 10:01
I'd like to see multi format (6x6, 6x7,6x9, 6x12, 6x17) capabilty in one body. hmmmm. Trouble is, would make my GSW690 a bit redundant.

Here ya' go! Hang onto your wallet...

http://www.badgergraphic.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=565

Gordon Moat
30-Jan-2008, 11:40
On YouTube there is a video on the Gilde, showing all the set-ups and movements . . . absolutely amazing. Other than the price, it might be the only camera constantly requiring a manual to operate it . . . truly complex, though the video makes it look simple.

I would imagine Fujifilm noticed the last sales of rangefinder cameras, and then saw the used prices spike a bit. Perhaps that is why they see a small market for a newer design. Their agreement with Hasselblad only allows them to sell their version of the H1, H2, H3 in Japan, so no way it would be that. They also still sell a GX680 in Japan, but I don't think anyone considers that portable.

If I were to guess, I would think another rangefinder. Perhaps they might make one without a fixed lens. To avoid competing with Mamiya, it might be a 645 design. Anyway, that's enough speculation until we actually see something.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat Photography (http://www.gordonmoat.com)

sanking
30-Jan-2008, 12:07
If I were to guess, I would think another rangefinder. Perhaps they might make one without a fixed lens. To avoid competing with Mamiya, it might be a 645 design. Anyway, that's enough speculation until we actually see something.

Ciao!

I would personally not find a 645 design as interesting as 6X7 or 6X9. If you want 645 you already have the Fuji GA645zi, which is an outstanding point and shoot 645 with a zoom lens, modest in range though it is. A modern version of the Fuji GA645zi, in 6X9 format, with automatic focus and exposure, and a zoom lens, would be an awesome camera.

Sandy King

David A. Goldfarb
30-Jan-2008, 12:17
Has anyone produced a widely available zoom lens for a format larger than 6x6? I suspect it would be either really big, really slow, really bad, or really expensive.

Matt Blaze
30-Jan-2008, 12:38
They also still sell a GX680 in Japan, but I don't think anyone considers that portable.

Not to go too far off topic here, but I shot a GX680 as my primary "serious" camera for years, and it remains one of my favorite camera systems for field use. They're definitely heavy but, being reasonably compact and rugged (as cameras with both movements and motor drives go), quite portable. What they aren't is even remotely handholdable, at least if you're me.

sanking
30-Jan-2008, 12:39
Has anyone produced a widely available zoom lens for a format larger than 6x6? I suspect it would be either really big, really slow, really bad, or really expensive.

Pentax made a couple of zoom lenses for the Pentax 67 camera. They were big, slow, and expensive. I can not comment about the optical qualities.

The zoom on the Fuji GA645zi is relatively small and the optical quality is excellent. However, it is a variable focus lens, not a zoom. As for price, the camera sold for close to $2k originally, with the 55mm - 90mm variable focus lens.

Sandy King

buze
1-Feb-2008, 08:51
The new camera is a 6x7 rangefinder folder. Built in meter etc. Leaf shutter, f3.5 lens. A few pictures of it are floating on the net.

If they price it reasonably, it might convince quite a few people to start shooting 120! In any case, if it's not horrendously expensive, I'll certainly get one.

BarryS
1-Feb-2008, 09:18
Sounds great--can you point me to a pic, I couldn't find any. I just sold my Fuji GSW690 II, but a folder sounds very nice. My seat of the pants guess for price is $1700.

David A. Goldfarb
1-Feb-2008, 09:19
Here it is--

http://www.letsgodigital.org/en/18141/fujifilm-medium-format-camera/

BarryS
1-Feb-2008, 09:25
Thanks, the prototype looks great with that beefy front standard. I have an Ensign Selfix I got from my father and so I have a soft spot for folders.

tim atherton
1-Feb-2008, 09:45
sweet

Gordon Moat
1-Feb-2008, 11:34
Lots a bit like the old GS645 Folder (http://www.keh.com/OnLineStore/ProductDetail.aspx?groupsku=FM030000045000&brandcategoryname=Medium%20Format&Mode=&item=0&ActivateTOC2=&ID=41&BC=FM&BCC=5&CC=3&CCC=1&BCL=&GBC=&GCC=) from them, just scaled up. Front mounted aperture selection, and small tab helical focus at the front. Tough to tell scale, or filter size. If they added Aperture Priority, then it could be quite intriguing. The only downer I see about this is the knob film advance. This is still a prototype, so maybe they will consider a lever film advance. I would guess pricing much closer to $US 1000, but I could see with exchange rates, or low volume production, it could be closer to $US 2000.

With a used Mamiya 7 going for closer to $1500, what price level would have people buying this over the Mamiya? I think that is more the competition, than restored folder cameras of the past. The other competitor, and somewhat reminding me of this, is the Plaubel Makina, but those go for stupid money on the used market.

Ciao!

davidb
1-Feb-2008, 11:35
I just hope they don't stick the name HASSELBLAD on it and then charge $3000.

BarryS
1-Feb-2008, 12:19
Well, $1000 would be nice, but judging from the retro/lux design this is a collector/afficionado type camera and with the dollar tanked, I don't see it happening. The volume is definitely going to be low, so these will be pricey buggers, no doubt.

Ash
1-Feb-2008, 12:41
That looks just like all the old school MF folders. I'd love one if the RF was going to be reliable, the body was strong enough for every day use, and the price was affordable.

I don't think any of those requirements will be met though. Not for me anyway :)

Gordon Moat
1-Feb-2008, 13:15
If I could ever find the time to continue modifying my Polaroid 900, then I would have a portable 6x7 (actually 56x72) rangefinder camera. I am designing mine to use my Linhof Super Rollex back, as well as 4x5 backs.

Anyway, kudos to Fujifilm for even showing this concept prototype. While it might be a limited run collector camera, or only sell in Japan, at least they are investigating making it.

Ciao!

Rob_5419
1-Feb-2008, 14:17
$600 tops. It's manual advance (hopefully with click stops rather than those horrible red gummy windows).

Also, flip out curtains to shoot 6x6cm would be perfect. I can't believe they've gone for a squat useless 6x7cm format instead of 6x4.5, 6x6 or 6x9. Squat format die!!

But realistically, why bother with a modern Fuji, if you can take another vintage folding orphan home?

Ted Harris
1-Feb-2008, 14:28
I'd be happier if they hadn't discontinued production of the GW/GSW series of cameras. The rangefinder could be a tiny bit brigher but overall the "Texas Leica" is a brilliant piece of equipment and mine has served me well for well over a decade.

Kuzano
1-Feb-2008, 14:37
If they added Aperture Priority, then it could be quite intriguing.
Ciao!

Judging by the "A" on the shutter ring (auto exposure)... it looks like aperture priority exposure is in the works.

sanking
1-Feb-2008, 15:16
$600 tops. It's manual advance (hopefully with click stops rather than those horrible red gummy windows).

Also, flip out curtains to shoot 6x6cm would be perfect. I can't believe they've gone for a squat useless 6x7cm format instead of 6x4.5, 6x6 or 6x9. Squat format die!!

But realistically, why bother with a modern Fuji, if you can take another vintage folding orphan home?

I agree about the format. A high quality 6X9 folder would be much more interesting to me than 6X7. At this point I already have a Mamiya 7 system that is quite compact so a 6X7 folder does not turn me on at all. On the other hand, 6X9 in a modern folder would do it for me.

Sandy King

Ash
1-Feb-2008, 15:20
6x7 I'd be happy with - the rectangle format is nice for portraits.....

I still want to find a 645 or 67 rangefinder that already exists, that is available, reliable and affordable. fixed lens would be fine.

davidb
1-Feb-2008, 15:24
the fuji would fit nicely in my bag next to my chamonix.

:)

bsimison
1-Feb-2008, 15:42

Am I alone in liking the 6x7 format? I used to backpack with an RZ system, but gave it up when I discovered I could fit a compact 4x5 field camera and lenses into almost the same space. I'd love to get that format back in a smaller form factor.

Bruce Watson
1-Feb-2008, 15:49
I agree about the format. A high quality 6X9 folder would be much more interesting to me than 6X7. At this point I already have a Mamiya 7 system that is quite compact so a 6X7 folder does not turn me on at all. On the other hand, 6X9 in a modern folder would do it for me.

Yup. 6x7 is very little better than 6x6. I just "see" more rectangularly than that. If they want me to buy it I've got to have at least 6x8 if not 6x9.

Ron Marshall
1-Feb-2008, 15:53
Nice to see a new folder being produced. If I didn't have a Mamiya 7 I would likely go for it.

This is a link to some older folders:

http://www.certo6.com/index.html

Rob_5419
1-Feb-2008, 16:34
Am I alone in liking the 6x7 format? I used to backpack with an RZ system, but gave it up when I discovered I could fit a compact 4x5 field camera and lenses into almost the same space. I'd love to get that format back in a smaller form factor.

Nope......Brett - a lot of people like the 6x7cm format ;)

I just happen to hate it :D

It might be unique as a folding 6x7cm though. There are plenty of folding 6x6cm and 6x9cm folders around, but 6x7cm?

Still, a 6x6cm Fuji folder would never ever need to be turned awkwardly side-ways to get a vertical shot. A 6x9cm folder with inside curtains to mask down to 6x6cm would be a superb idea too. 12 exposures rather than a measly 10 exposures per roll....

The best folder lookalike to this is probably the Konica Pearl IV? Wow - this Fuji is going to be cheaper than that icon too. Just look at that bellows strut support system too. Trust Fuji to be different and create it on the right side....

Btw - they've made a snazzy range of 35mm pop cameras which wouldn't have looked out of place in Konica's catalogues 10-20 years ago. Shame these were never marketed much outside of Japan.

Kuzano
1-Feb-2008, 16:38
The camera currently being shown at PMA 2008

Henry Ambrose
1-Feb-2008, 17:13
The chrome version looks great!!

What is that huge bulge on the back of the black camera?
That is seriously ugly!

BarryS
1-Feb-2008, 17:14
That bulge is the front cover. :)

Helen Bach
1-Feb-2008, 17:19
A new 6x9 folder would have been nice, but this is tempting enough. I quite like 6x7. Meanwhile, here's my 6x9 folder. The front cell has to come of to get it to fold.

Best,
Helen

http://gallery.photo.net/photo/6503830-lg.jpg

buze
1-Feb-2008, 17:40
I always have a couple of folders in the bag. Super Isolette & Iskra for 6x6, and Super Ikonta & Moskva for 6x9. You can have them loaded with different film and pick the one you fancy for the day, along with the 'serious' LF kit...
Or even sometime, /they/ are the 'serious kit' when the other camera is a DSLR...

I think that fujifilm is a fantastic idea; 6x7 with a mask for 6x6 with a meter and even --luxury-- aperture priority would be the ideal of portability/film surface. Heck, there even seems to have bright lines, and possibly parallax correction ? Chrismas !

(some of my collection. I own 3 Iskras, 2 Moskva 5 and 2 Super Ikontas)
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/28/97990667_48804ddd49.jpg

David A. Goldfarb
1-Feb-2008, 17:52
I've owned a few, and this one has been the keeper, at least until I get my Fuji 6x7 folder.

Henry Ambrose
1-Feb-2008, 19:08
Oh Duh!
I thought that was the back of another camera.
Write first, think later.:o

ic-racer
2-Feb-2008, 07:26
I also got real interested in using my old 6x9 folders. Due to their age and lack of features (and the need to keep rewinding the film onto the 620 spools) I was in search of a contemporary 6x9 rangefinder folder.

Turns out I found one, and it has interchangable lenses and backs also. It is a little move away from the original concept due to its size and weight, though.

If the new Fuji were 6x9 I would really be interested.

David A. Goldfarb
2-Feb-2008, 08:32
I've got a Linhof Tech V 23b (which seems to be taking a very long vacation at the Marflex Camera Spa), but I'd still like a small MF folder, like the Perkeo II that I use now. The Linhof is a nice compact and versatile travel camera that can function as a view camera or a press camera, but it's not quite like a little folder that fits in a coat pocket or a briefcase.

russyoung
2-Feb-2008, 09:34
Gosh, has 6x7 become large format?

Russ

buze
2-Feb-2008, 09:39
No, it's why the topic says "OT".

sanking

Russ

Russ,

Absolutely. In fact, compared to the 1/1.7 and 1/1.8 sensors on many digicams, which measure just a bit more than 7X5mm, 6X7cm could be thought of as ultra large format.

Sandy King

Bill_1856

Russ

Yes.

Rory_5244
3-Feb-2008, 15:05
This looks like something I might buy! I never warmed to the Mamiya 7. Um, does anybody know whether the lens can be changed on this new Fuji? Doesn't really look like it, but...

Rob_5419
3-Feb-2008, 15:11
It's highly unlikely Rory. There is no ledge lock options on the fold out strut to fix any other focal length than the 80mm one. There is a built in spacing lock though - that's why there is no red window (hooray!). Looks like it has at least, centre-weighted metering built in. That must be a first for any vintage folding camera.

I didn't warm to the Mamiya 7 either. The lenses are cold and clinically sharp. Be nice to see if this folder has a usable filter thread for ND grads too. It looks like a little Fuji that 'could'...

Rory_5244
3-Feb-2008, 15:24
Thanks, Rob. My feelings exactly on those Mamiya lenses, BTW. :)

tim atherton
3-Feb-2008, 15:34
Thanks, Rob. My feelings exactly on those Mamiya lenses, BTW. :)

same here - never did like it. Always liked the look the lens on my old GSWII 69 gave though.

Now, if Plaubel relaunched the folding Makina 67 - that would be cool... :-)

(which btw was also a 6x7 folder with built in metering...)

Dick Hilker
3-Feb-2008, 15:43
I wonder who they see as their target audience for what's not much more than a rather expensive camera for casual, amateur use?

Rob_5419
3-Feb-2008, 15:51
I wonder who they see as their target audience for what's not much more than a rather expensive camera for casual, amateur use?

Clearly all the gadget geeks on apug.com

We're not like that, are we? :eek:

Shame on me - I don't know the Plaubels at all Tim. They always seemed to be pricey German elitist things. Haven't seen any in England.

The Certo66 website is very very nice. There are so many sweet looking ones there. At the minute, I'm happy with the Leica M6 which I got last year. Although it's only 35mm, I can carry it around with me.

tim atherton
3-Feb-2008, 15:54
Shame on me - I don't know the Plaubels at all Tim. They always seemed to be pricey German elitist things. Haven't seen any in England.

they were a real favourite of a lot of the "New British Colour" guys in the 1980's early 90's.

It's one of the few MF camera/lens set up's I've come across that when printed to a reasonable size could pretty much fool you it was LF.

ic-racer
3-Feb-2008, 19:47
same here - never did like it. Always liked the look the lens on my old GSWII 69 gave though.

Now, if Plaubel relaunched the folding Makina 67 - that would be cool... :-)

(which btw was also a 6x7 folder with built in metering...)

This is way, way, off topic, but if you ever see Ghostbusters II, there is a cool scene where Bill Murray uses a Brooks Veriwide in the museum where he is taking pictures of the Vigo painting. (They were showing this movie on TV last week...)

bglick
3-Feb-2008, 21:10
I agree with Dick.... what is the intended market here? An M7 with an 80mm lens is pretty compact, but it offers interchangeable lenses, ratchet advance, etc. I guess they could offer the same camera in a few fl's, like 45mm, 65mm, 120mm..., so overall, a compact kit? I don't really get it, but sure am happy Fuji is demonstrating its commitment to film use.

Carsten Wolff
5-Feb-2008, 18:05
....a bit like the Nikon S2 remake in market appeal I guess. I'm perfectly happy with my old 6x9 Agfa Billy Record folder, too. Kudos to Helen by the way; I like her lens replacement idea. Turns her old Voightlander into a Super-Makina (format-wise anyway).

ifer
5-Feb-2008, 21:11
guys, i got to say... i fall in love with this fuji 6x7 the moment i lay my eyes on it.
i was a mamiya 7II user before i 'upgraded' to shenhao 4x5.

i still have a soft spot for 6x7 format and i wanted a portable one. and this fits the bill. let's see whether the price is alright or not

J Peterson
5-Feb-2008, 21:44
This looks hot, I want one.

Nick_3536
5-Feb-2008, 23:48

Isn't that the market for virtually all cameras?

I thought even "pro" cameras mostly got sold to casual amateurs.

butterflydream
19-Feb-2008, 05:03
I miss my Mamiya 6 and 7 for their convenience of AE.
And I also miss my Voigtlader Perkeo for compactness.

From the picture it looks like aperture priority AE.
I think I would buy one, unless the price is ridiculously high.

When do they start to sell in the market?

Ken Lee
19-Feb-2008, 05:52
The lens reads 80mm, so it's probably (only) a 6x6. The shape seems to accord with that.

It looks as though they tried to implement the best features from a broad sampling of classic designs.

I would have preferred a 6x7 with a 100mm lens. Or better yet, 6x8.

I love my folders (http://www.kenleegallery.com/html/tech/tech.html#Folders): they're the latest in 1950's technology.

David A. Goldfarb
19-Feb-2008, 06:38
"6x7" is engraved on top of the camera.

Ken Lee
19-Feb-2008, 07:22
6x7 ... Excellent !!

If the lens is good (it probably is very good) then I'll take one of these, a mile or two of TMY, a nice big COOLSCAN, and some PyroCat HD to wash it all down.

Ken Lee
19-Feb-2008, 08:04
A new 6x9 folder would have been nice, but this is tempting enough. I quite like 6x7. Meanwhile, here's my 6x9 folder. The front cell has to come of to get it to fold.

Helen, please tell us about that lens. Have you merely replaced the front element of the lens ? Is that the whole lens ?

I had one of those cameras for a while, and the Color Heliar was quite good.

David Luttmann
19-Feb-2008, 08:43
I had an email back from Fuji stating that there is no anticipated release date and that it may never see the light of day. Darn shame really as I'd love to play with that baby. I just wish it had a 65mm lens on it rather than 80mm.

Jiri Vasina
19-Feb-2008, 11:25
David, lack of any release date would be a terrible shame. I would also seriously consider getting that camera if it were available.

And I'd love it with the 80mm lens (or 75mm), not wider. Moderately wide is what I'd be most happy with...

David Luttmann
19-Feb-2008, 11:33
Jiri,

I just figured it would be a fun street camera. Definitely enough to strike up a conversation with people. OK.....how about 70mm.....that give me a 39mm equivalent. Can we go ahead with that :)

Here is how they replied:

"Dear Mr. Luttmann,

Thank you for contacting the FUJIFILM USA Helpdesk.

We wish to inform you that the new portable medium-format film camera
displayed at the recent PMA 2008 Show is a prototype and currently not
available. At this point in time, there is no additional information on
the technical specifications, pricing, or release date for this
prototype. "

Jiri Vasina
19-Feb-2008, 13:11
David, thanks for the info. Regarding the lens (or the camera as a whole at the moment), everything is just ideas and wishes. ;)

I too would consider it a street camera, and therefore the wide-ish lens. But I've had a Pentax 6×7cm with a 55mm lens, which was too wide for street photography. All those times I've been thinking about adding a 75mm lens, but never managed to. In the end, I ended up having a Fuji 6×9 with the 90mm lens (and have tried the 65mm variant too). The wide one is generally too wide for street photos (although I really like this photo here (http://www.vasina.net/?p=107), shot with Fuji GSW 690II).

But in the end, any good sharp and fast (f/4 or faster) lens in the range of 65-90mm on the camera would be acceptable. If the camera is available at all...

neil poulsen
19-Feb-2008, 22:40
Gosh, has 6x7 become large format? Russ

It's kind of funny. If you check EBay, 35mm has become large format. :)

mdd99
22-Mar-2008, 17:38
Fuji has always struck me as a company that's in it for the long haul, trying to satisfy all users. That's quite a challenge, but they're doing a heck of a job. Perhaps the take-away is that film may never die...in our lifetime.

John T
22-Mar-2008, 22:11
When I was talking to the Fuji rep at the SPE National Conference last week, we were talking about my GS645 and he asked me if I heard about the new 6x7 that was going to be sold in Japan. So, at this point it looks like they are seriously thinking of introducing the camera out there.

John