PDA

View Full Version : L.A. vicinity

walter23
29-Jan-2008, 14:20
I'm going to be in the Long Beach area next week, and assuming the weather down there cleans up I'm looking for suggestions for a daytrip. Anything within reasonable (say 2 to 3 hours) driving distance would be appreciated. Other than another conference where I just stayed at the LB convention center the whole time I've never really been in the area.

Suggestions for nice scenic stretches of coastline (should I head south towards san diego? north?), or really good parks would be appreciated. I know Death Valley and Joshua Tree are sort of in the vicinity but how long does it take in practice to visit one?

Not sure if I'm bringing the LF camera or not; this is more just for the excursion than for photography.

Should I just hop a bus to Tijuana and visit the scungiest part of Mexico instead? ;)

walter23
29-Jan-2008, 14:25
Hmm, using lfinfo like a travel agency... I just don't have time to really research the region and I appreciate the photographer's perspective anyway.

Ron Marshall
29-Jan-2008, 14:34
How about the Getty museum, and its photo collection?

Eric Woodbury
29-Jan-2008, 14:34
Don't know what it is you're looking for, but I just visited the Getty Museums, both the Villa and The Center, and the Huntington Garden. No tripods at the Getty. The Center has photo exhibits and good architecture to photograph. The Villa didn't do it for me, but it is a nice museum of antiquities. I like the buildings in downtown LA and the Disney Hall. If you want desert, then Anza Borrego isn't that far and the closest to Long Beach. It will be spring there soon if not already.

domenico Foschi
29-Jan-2008, 14:36
Walter a drive in Highway 1 heading North is always interesting.
When people ask these kind of questions I am not sure to know how to answer because one person garbage is another person treasure.
California has all kind of scenery from the desert to lakes to Ocean.
The Salton Sea is a different kind of beauty if you can stand the smell of rotting fish.

I hope someone else will chip in because, as I said, I can only do so much.:)
Domenico

rippo
29-Jan-2008, 15:07
i'm north of LA, and always wanted to shoot at Vasquez Rocks. haven't made the trip yet, but it's probably a two to three hour drive with no traffic. a cool geologic formation, home to a few tv and film shoots over the years.

map (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=vasquez+rocks,+ca&sll=34.453634,-118.332024&sspn=0.197885,0.277405&ie=UTF8&ll=34.477995,-118.317455&spn=0.197828,0.277405&z=12&om=0)

wiki entry here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vasquez_Rocks)

walter23
29-Jan-2008, 15:09
Great, a few good ideas that I probably wouldn't have found already... weird formations, nearby desert, and photo museum. Thanks guys :)

DavidFisk
29-Jan-2008, 15:58
Descanso Gardens in La Canada-Flintridge is also nice. There are also a number of waterfalls that are in full song, given the recent rains. I'll provide details if you'd like.

Michael Gordon
29-Jan-2008, 16:41
You're coming to my 'hood (Long Beach).

Scenic coastline: Palos Verdes Peninsula (20 mins. or so north of Long Beach).

Joshua Tree NP: Long Beach to West entrance: just over two hours, IF (and a BIG IF) you drive it during non-peak hours.

Death Valley NP: is not a day trip (unless you're a masochist).

It's a big state with a plethora of opportunities, so there's no shortage of things to do here. Beware that LA-area traffic is legendary, so I would not consider driving during peak drive times unless you get off on that sort of thing.

If you need any Long Beach dining or drinking advice, let me know! BTW, I'm only five minutes from the Convention Center. I'd be glad to meet you for a beverage and discuss possible itineraries.

walter23
29-Jan-2008, 17:41
If you need any Long Beach dining or drinking advice, let me know! BTW, I'm only five minutes from the Convention Center. I'd be glad to meet you for a beverage and discuss possible itineraries.

Thanks for the offer; I'm probably going to be pretty busy with the conference most of the time (except for when I play hooky for the short daytrip), but I'll drop you a message or something and see if you're free if I see a spare moment or two ;) I'm staying at the Queen Mary.

Oh, and thanks for the suggestions too. What time does rush hour start and end roughly (if it can be said to start / end at all)?

Mark Woods
29-Jan-2008, 17:46
All great ideas. I went to middle and high school in LB. It's a lot different now than it was when I was living there.

Ted Harris
29-Jan-2008, 17:49
Try Torrey Pines State Beach/Park in La Jolla, South about two hours.

walter23
29-Jan-2008, 18:21
Cool. Lots to choose from. Last I was there I walked as far as Belmont pier and that was about it (didn't rent a car or anything).

What about Catalina island? Is it worth going to (without doing activities that break the bank)? I had the impression it was kind of a rich man's playground.

matthew blais
29-Jan-2008, 18:37
Rush hour is from 5:00 am till 7:00 pm..

:)

vinny
29-Jan-2008, 18:51
Rush hour is from 5:00 am till 7:00 pm..

:)

Yes, two to three hours may not get you far. Stacy off the 405!

David Karp
29-Jan-2008, 18:57
If you are going to be there over the weekend, try going to San Pedro. There are lots of fishing vessels, ropes, buoys, etc. to photograph.

Mark Woods
29-Jan-2008, 18:58
Catalina Island is fun and not expensive if you don't stay over night. You can't rent a car, but I'm not sure of other travel arrangements. I used to spend a lot of time out there when I was single and a friend had an apartment within walking distance from the pier. Fun times! The isthmus is interesting for the Bison that walk around, but otherwise it's pretty desolate. USC has a base there that I've staid at when my wife worked for SC. But not much else. It's cool to be able to walk from one side of the island to the other in about 15 or 20 minutes (less is you're in great shape). Have fun! You can't go wrong with any of the suggestions.

Edwin Beckenbach
29-Jan-2008, 19:06
If you are lucky to have a very clear day, the western San Gabriel Mountains are hard to beat.

http://www.sunlightwings.com/pages/gallery/gallery01/gallery01_10.html#top_anchor

John Kasaian
29-Jan-2008, 20:26
How about the Queen Mary? Call ahead to see if there are any restrictions on tripods (562)435-3511. There is Rancho Los Cerritos, an 1844 adobe on four acres of gardens (562)570-1755. Mission San Fernando Rey founded 1797, IIRC they charge a modest fee (818)361-0186. Then there is the Huntington Library and Botanical Gardens(626)405-2100 and of course Griffith Park.

It isn't Yosemite, but there are plenty of photo ops---just be careful you don't end up in an area where the cops will tell you (via bull horn 'cause they aren't getting out of thier vehicle) to leave for your own safety!

PViapiano
30-Jan-2008, 01:55
Come out to Joshua Tree on Saturday. Per Volquartz is having another one of his incredible LF get-togethers...

walter23
30-Jan-2008, 11:48
Come out to Joshua Tree on Saturday. Per Volquartz is having another one of his incredible LF get-togethers...

PV: Really? I could skip the meeting on Saturday without consequence. What are the details?

vinny
30-Jan-2008, 15:35
http://pervolquartz.com/workshops.html
email Per to see if you can sign up.
This years sounds like it'll be a good turn out. a big fire and lots stories. bring some prints if you can
vinny

Jim Galli
30-Jan-2008, 16:15
Can't say enough nice things about Per's get togethers. Always a blast and very rewarding.

walter23
30-Jan-2008, 17:20
Thanks for the info; I'll email him and see what the deal is.

walter23
31-Jan-2008, 22:59
Damn. I'm officially heading to Long Beach for a meeting, and it turns out there's something I overlooked that I can't miss on Saturday (I had previously thought it was all irrelevant stuff that I didn't want to involve myself with).

After reading the rough itinerary for this LF/APUG meetup I was really looking forward to it.

Damn!

Maybe I'll run into you all some other time.

Meanwhile I guess I'll just ferry over to Catalina or take a drive on a weekday when I can escape. Thanks for all the ideas, I'll mull 'em over.

BrianShaw
1-Feb-2008, 09:04
Damn. I'm officially heading to Long Beach for a meeting, and it turns out there's something I overlooked that I can't miss on Saturday (I had previously thought it was all irrelevant stuff that I didn't want to involve myself with).

Thanks for all the ideas, I'll mull 'em over.

Here's an idea to consider -- hire a "substitute" to cover your Saturday meeting for you. I'm sure you can find someone who fits your suit and will sit in a chair taking notes for you. Give that person a few key phrases that will make you look like a real team player. Try these:

"Sure, I'll head that committee."

"No, I insist... that action item is mine."

p.s. I'm busy on Saturday, otherwise I'd help you out.

walter23
4-Feb-2008, 13:58
Here's an idea to consider -- hire a "substitute" to cover your Saturday meeting for you. I'm sure you can find someone who fits your suit and will sit in a chair taking notes for you. Give that person a few key phrases that will make you look like a real team player. Try these:

"Sure, I'll head that committee."

"No, I insist... that action item is mine."

p.s. I'm busy on Saturday, otherwise I'd help you out.

Heheh, it's not that kind of meeting. Forget the suit: I need someone who doesn't shave often enough, with the demeanor of a 33-year-old perpetual student, and who can wander around looking distracted and confused.

I really should have gone out to the APUG/LF meeting though; we closed up the local microbrewery on Friday (and Saturday) nights, so the daytime meetings were kind of a waste from an intellectual standpoint.

On the bright side, Belmont Shore has a fantastic cigar lounge and your tobacco prices down here are less than half what I pay up North (taxes I guess). I haven't figured out what to photograph yet and I'm afraid to go anywhere near the shipping port with a big camera. We'll probably end up renting a car and heading out to Joshua in a couple of days.