PDA

View Full Version : plexiglass GG?

walter23
27-Jan-2008, 22:39
I've got a little pinhole / box camera project in the works and I need a cheapo and unbreakable ground glass for rough composition (and possibly use with a real lens from time to time). Has anybody used plexiglass? How would you go about texturing one of the sides - sandpaper? A polishing compound?

Thanks for any help

vinny
27-Jan-2008, 23:18
frosted Scotch tape. you'll be suprised how well it works!
I also have a plexi ground glass on my Wehman. There are stick on films that'll work but i don't know where to get them.

jnantz
27-Jan-2008, 23:49
windshield places sell (maybe ) the stuff that tints your windows, and that
might work. i use a piece of waxed paper on my 11x14 camera and it works
very (very) well :)

john

walter23
28-Jan-2008, 02:50

john

The waxed paper is your ground glass, or you coat some plexi or something with the waxed paper?

buze
28-Jan-2008, 03:01
Take a CD case, and sandpaper it with the smallest sandpaper you can find. Works great!

jnantz
28-Jan-2008, 04:56
The waxed paper is your ground glass, or you coat some plexi or something with the waxed paper?

just waxed paper :)

Robbie Shymanski
28-Jan-2008, 06:15
drafting mylar available at any art supply.

Kevin Crisp
28-Jan-2008, 06:45
Lexan is available in many hardware stores. It is easy to cut. It is essentially unbreakable. You can scuff it up with fine wet sanding sand paper and top that off with a dose of valve grinding compound and it makes a surprisingly decent gg. I carry one as a spare since I know if can't be broken. Having tried both plexi and Lexan I think Lexan looks better for this. I haven't tried scotch tape.

Michael Roberts
28-Jan-2008, 07:05
I've tried sanding plexi. It works, but it's not super sharp as you might imagine.

Robbie Shymanski
28-Jan-2008, 07:45
Drafting mylar taped to a cheap Fresnel sheet you get at an office supply store. It is a plastic miracle.

walter23
28-Jan-2008, 08:07
Great, thanks for the ideas!

Dan Schmidt
28-Jan-2008, 10:14
there is a laminate in sheets for applying frosting to glass. I believe this is what is on my wheman and it works great. As far as I know bruce applies this laminate to regular plexiglass.

a description below

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=howTo&p=/Energy/WndFlm.html

Michael Roberts
29-Jan-2008, 07:45

john

Okay, I'm intrigued by the possibility of wax paper for a lightweight 8x10 I'm planning to build. John, do you put this in a frame, just tape it in place w/o a frame, or what? How do you get it to stay flat?
Thanks.