PDA

View Full Version : New here

pam edwards
27-Jan-2008, 10:11
I kinda fell into photo work. Out of the blue, my brother sent me my dad's old Yashika LM [MF,2.5"X2.25"]. I didnt know my dad, and i certainly didn't know he did photo work. I lagter was told that all his work was lost in a fire. only his camera survived, and my brother thought i'd like it. I thought , welll , if my dad did photo work, then maybe i should try it too.
Once i started , I knew I really did want to do photo work That's how i got started in B&W photography. I didn't like school, so i picked up Vestal's BW photography. It became my teacher.

A few months later some one gave me an old Omega D2 enlarger. Bascially I learnt how to use it by trial and error. Lots of Error.
Best thing i ever did was seek out other people's B&W's . I went to NYC once , just go see a retrospective of Edward Weston. Then to Portland ME to see the " US RT. 1" show if Bernice White's photos. Once I took a train ride to Chicago to see what the Insitutue of Art had inn thier of B&W photo collection/exhibit. I think it was Arnold Newman, Willy Brandt and some Chicao B&W photo greats. I loved the B&W works so much that i found my self crying. I was seeing the orginal prints. So beautiful. No kidding. The beauty of them took me over.

I spoke to some B&W phtogrpahers in Boston once. One said that great Photopgrahy's the equivalent to poetry. I agree.
I liked making 4X5 duplicates of 35mm films[both pos. and neg. negatives] and print from the 4X5's.
Now i want to shoot w/4X5 camera.
I never used anything but ambiant light to shoot in. Just never did get into added light. I just like it this way.
Mainly i prefer to "take off" from the negative.Though I do "realistic images" for friends and such. Now that i wandered on to this site, I feel like i met kindred spirits and i will be moving into LF photography for shure.
Anyway, that's my intro. I am glad to be aboard . Thanks for the site. I already found here much info i can use. But i am also interested in talk B&W LF phtography too.
Pam in Maine

Joe Monteiro
27-Jan-2008, 10:35
Welcome from MA I'm back into analog after a couple of years away from it and it's good.

pam edwards
27-Jan-2008, 10:52
Thanks joe.
Some one said to me the other day, " You *will* have to go digital eventually. No one understands film photography; film, chemicals and paper you do your work with ,will t become available. Then what will you do?"
I had no reply. LOL
Hmmmmm.
-pam

Ralph Barker
27-Jan-2008, 12:12
Welcome to the LF Forum, Pam.

As to those who forecast the unavailability of traditional photographic products, it's easy to point to various other arts and crafts that received the same prognostications 50 or 100 years ago. As long as people continue to do something, whether that's "traditional" photography, painting, or whatever, there will be other enterprising people who see a business opportunity in providing the materials needed.

BarryS
27-Jan-2008, 13:10
Welcome to the site Pam. It's beautiful seeing original b&w prints and a good idea to see what quality prints look like as well as seeing the works of great photographers. I think you meant Bill Brandt the photographer--not to be confused with Willy Brandt, the former Chancellor of West Germany. :) I'm just starting out with a 4x5 field camera and this is definitely the place to hang out to figure out large format photography. It sounds like you really want to be working in 4x5 and I think it's a great experience to work with a large format camera--it feels like a connection to the roots of photography, and it's just plain cool to play with all the lens and back movements.

Clueless Winddancing
27-Jan-2008, 13:37
I was listening to a book on tape, waiting for my coffee and opening this forum (multi-tasking) when my third ear felt what you were saying, what my eyes were hearing. Metaphoricly, there's a magical story in what is happening. I look forward to see just how cherished you will become on this forum.

John Sarsgard
27-Jan-2008, 14:31
Hi, Pam, and welcome from down South (Connecticut!). The people who hang around here are among the most knowledgeable and helpful folks to be found anywhere. Many of us (me included) also work in digital and with smaller film cameras as well, so it's a great place to ask all kinds of questions. You will get to know some interesting personalities, as well! You will also meet people who think a 4x5 is a small camera. We look forward to knowing you better. Cheers, John

Oren Grad
27-Jan-2008, 14:38
You will also meet people who think a 4x5 is a small camera.

John, 4x5 *is* a small camera. :)

Welcome, Pam!

John Kasaian
27-Jan-2008, 15:38
Welcome from Fresno, California.

What a great story! I'll look foreward to reading more about your LF adventures.

Ken Lee
27-Jan-2008, 16:45
You've come to the right place. The assembled wisdom and talent here is remarkable.

Back in '71 (no, not 1871) as a high-school student, I took a long train ride to Philadelphia, to see the Paul Strand retrospective. In your words, it "took me over". I never fully recovered.

Nathan Potter
27-Jan-2008, 18:32
Welcome to this site Pam. I have a hunch that you'll enjoy a foray into LF work from your description of how fine photography has moved you. It's a great journey. Let your inner emotions speak out through your photography - irrespective of the subject matter. Best of luck and keep plugging along.

Nate Potter

Brian Ellis
27-Jan-2008, 18:35
Welcome, it's nice to have someone from Maine. Maine's a great state, nicest people in the world. While I was attending the Maine Photographic Workshop we took a field trip to a beach. I inadvertantly left my Nikon F4 (this was a long time ago) on a log on a well populated beach. I didn't realize it until a couple hours later and it took another couple hours to get back to the beach. And there sat my Nikon still on the log. I lived in Florida at the time. If I had done that in Florida the camera would have been gone in about 10 minutes, maybe the log too.

pam edwards
27-Jan-2008, 20:17
Welcome, it's nice to have someone from Maine. Maine's a great state, nicest people in the world. While I was attending the Maine Photographic Workshop we took a field trip to a beach. I inadvertantly left my Nikon F4 (this was a long time ago) on a log on a well populated beach. I didn't realize it until a couple hours later and it took another couple hours to get back to the beach. And there sat my Nikon still on the log. I lived in Florida at the time. If I had done that in Florida the camera would have been gone in about 10 minutes, maybe the log too.

Thanks, Brian.
Maine's a good place to be, for shure.
Righto! If the huge tide doesn't take it away , whatever you leave on a Maine beach will be there waiting for you. At least in Way Downeast Maine,even now.

pam edwards
27-Jan-2008, 20:23
Thanks Nate.
I do want it to be a great journey.

pam edwards
27-Jan-2008, 20:26
Thanks for your optemistic perspective. i needed that.

pam edwards
27-Jan-2008, 20:36
Yep, I meant Bill Brandt. Whew!

pam edwards
27-Jan-2008, 20:41
You've come to the right place. The assembled wisdom and talent here is remarkable.

Back in '71 (no, not 1871) as a high-school student, I took a long train ride to Philadelphia, to see the Paul Strand retrospective. In your words, it "took me over". I never fully recovered.

I've seen only repros of Paul Strand's, no originals. If I ever do....WOW!

It's nice that you haven't recovered.

pam edwards
27-Jan-2008, 20:53
Welcome from Fresno, California.

What a great story! I'll look foreward to reading more about your LF adventures.

Thanks, John. I'm looking forward to beginning my LF story/journey.