PDA

View Full Version : Robert Capa cache of negatives discovered

tim atherton
26-Jan-2008, 09:06
Not LF - but the Capa's negatives from Spain has been discovered - long though lost and destroyed in occupied Paris

http://photo-muse.blogspot.com/2008/01/capa-cache-discovered.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/27/arts/design/27kenn.html?_r=3&oref=slogin&oref=slogin&oref=slogin

Walter Calahan
26-Jan-2008, 09:27
What a tremendous find!

I see new books about Capa's work from the period of his life around the bend. Perhaps not soon, but they will happen. Better for all of us!

darr
26-Jan-2008, 10:21
“The Falling Soldier” could be by Taro and not Capa.

Interesting read indeed (and find)!

gregstidham
26-Jan-2008, 19:37
How wonderful. I can't wait for the books and exhibitions.

I showed my wife the photograph of the rolled negatives in the boxes and I mentioned that the small wings on our Leitz enlarger were designed to hold negatives stored this way during printing. Her eyes lit up. She always wondered what those wings were for. :) lol She is also a former photojournalist and printed on our Leitz for years.

Jan Pedersen
26-Jan-2008, 19:52
Tim, Thanks for posting, this is really exiting stuff. Can't wait to see a book with these "lost" photos.

Nathan Potter
26-Jan-2008, 20:05
Absolutely stunning discovery! Capa being the innovator of "in your face" combat photography and leading the way for subsequent workers - like one of my favorites, David Douglas Duncan. I can't wait to hear and see what's on this film.

Nate Potter

Peter Lewin
26-Jan-2008, 21:08
Question: Some of the rolls in the box seem a lot longer than a roll of 35mm, and in the NYT article the accompanying photo of Capa showed him with what looked like a movie camera. Can anyone tell by looking at the photo of the film in the cardboard box whether these are still films, movie, or a combination of the two?

David A. Goldfarb
26-Jan-2008, 21:11
I was noticing that, too, and I'm guessing that the films are not organized by roll, but by the event. So some of them might be several rolls rolled together, and some of the boxes might just have a short strip of a few frames from a roll.