PDA

View Full Version : Is this common with Ebony (or any LF camera)?

newmoon2night
26-Jan-2008, 02:25
I have an Ebony SW45, and have just been practising some more extreme focusing in the kitchen (!) to while away a grey morning, and using movements I haven't really used before.
I was using the front swing movement along a line of kitchen cupboards, happily getting everything in focus using the loupe, took my eye off the glass and tightened the swing locking lever, went back to check and the shot was out of focus!
This kept happening, and eventually I've cottoned on to the fact that tightening the swing locking lever resulted in the top of the lens board tilting back a few milimetres. Probably more accurate would be to say that loosing the swing locking lever results in the top (the metal frame that holds the front of the bellows and lens board) tilting forward a few milimetres at the top. It's enough to throw focus out on on subjects three or four feet away with the lens fully open.
Is this normal, or is there a screw I should tighten or loosen off somewhere, that will stop this happening?
It can of course be corrected by compensating with a tilt adjustment.
Whether the movement is sufficient to actually make any difference to the end result once the lens is stopped down I don't know ... I suppose it could in a macro 1:1 shot.
Regardless it's a great camera!
Thanks for any advice on this.

Henry Ambrose
26-Jan-2008, 08:53
Don't loosen the swing lock fully so its leaves a little tension on the standard, then tighten it down after you swing. What you're seeing is the bellows pulling the standard back then the lock pulling it back into position. Its a simple camera and not really made for close up/studio type of work.

For that you would want a rail camera with geared movements. Not that you can't do what you're asking about but the SW45 is just not the ideal perfect tool for this job. For what it does do and what it is designed for its about perfect. I really like mine.

JPlomley
26-Jan-2008, 09:12
This is precisely why I sold the SV45Ti and bought the Arca Swiss F-Field camera. There should be a post somewhere on the forum where I described the identical situation (but with the rear standard) and other issues I had which drove me to a monorail. Rigidity cannot be overstated.

Note, this is not meant to start an Ebony vs Arca Swiss debate. Clearly, for many accomplished LF photographers (Joe Cornish, Danny Burke, etc), the Ebony is a superb tool. But it may not be the right tool for everyone.

BradS
26-Jan-2008, 10:20
Yes. I think it is normal. Every field camera I have ever laid hands on does this to some degree. The big old Burke and James commercial view was by far the most annoying in this regard - especially since swing and shift are on the same lock! The Ebony is a dream come true by comparison.

As Henry has already stated, the solution is to not loosen the front swing so much. This is true with the big old B&J as well as the dream machine Ebony. Only loosen it up enough to just barely enable the front to swing - with some pressure.

timparkin
26-Jan-2008, 11:14
I have not noticed it happening on the 45SU but I don't release the lever completely and also haven't been using a lot of extension (where I have used swing it's been on a 110 or 150 and on the rear standard). I'll try it with large extension on the front standard and post back.

Tim

Geary Lyons
26-Jan-2008, 12:00
This is precisely why I sold the SV45Ti and bought the Arca Swiss F-Field camera. There should be a post somewhere on the forum where I described the identical situation (but with the rear standard) and other issues I had which drove me to a monorail. Rigidity cannot be overstated.

Note, this is not meant to start an Ebony vs Arca Swiss debate. Clearly, for many accomplished LF photographers (Joe Cornish, Danny Burke, etc), the Ebony is a superb tool. But it may not be the right tool for everyone.

Sorry, but isn't this a "Duh!" ? => Right tool for the Right job!
Cheers,
Geary

JPlomley
26-Jan-2008, 14:31
Cheers Geary. Point taken, and I suppose I should have elaborated.

"Right tool for the job" is not necessarily synonomous with "the right tool for everyone". Either Arca Swiss or Ebony will do the job, but it may simply not be the right tool for a given photographers preferred style or expectations of form fitting function. For example, the Arca decouples shift and swing locking mechanisms. You will not pop the focus when you tighten any Arca Swiss locking mechanism. The Arca also allows very precise determination of focus spread via the inclusion of a mm scale on the optical rail. As well, there is no need to switch bellows for focal lengths between 47mm and 360mm (on the F-Field camera), and no calathenics are required when using ultra-wides. The geared MicroOrbix is a very smooth and precise mechanism for achieving tilt quickly and effortlessly. Again, both systems are capable of reaching the same endpoint, but for some photographers, a monorail may get them there with less effort and with a level of rigidity and precision which translates to their "right tool".