PDA

View Full Version : Resource for a newbie?

coops
25-Jan-2008, 09:00
I am new to lf, but already losing my patience with my local lab who take forever to process my film.I know I should be thankfull I have a lab that does this, but the move from digital to film is not easy for me, particularly when it comes to not being able to get that instant gratification. I should add that taking photographs with my Tachihara is infinately more fun and rewarding though.
Anyway, is it even worth considering getting into doing my own processing, with the cost of materials, learning curve etc?
My local lab is not doing well, and I fear may close in a year or so, and so I will be in kind of a bind.
Can anyone suggest an "idiots guide" if you will to film processing?
Cheers

Nick_3536
25-Jan-2008, 09:08
Ilford used to produce a PDF that described the process. At least from the roll film users view point. I assume they still produce the document.

Really if you remember developer,stop THEN fix most other mistakes are minor.

No idea what your lab is charging but the cost of chemicals is fairly low. Even equipment isn't that bad if you buy used.

John Kasaian
25-Jan-2008, 09:16
I can't comment on color film but B&W is very easy and cost effective to process. Check out the unicolor processor article link one the LF Home Page in the blue banner at the top of the page.

steve simmons
25-Jan-2008, 09:22
You don't tell us if you are talkng abot black and white or color>

With B&W yes, do it yourself. With color, I would suggest finding a good lab. Where do you live?

steve simmons
www.viewcamera.com

coops
25-Jan-2008, 09:29
Thanks. I shoot color now, but will start using black and white in a couple of months. I live in North Central Florida.

Nick_3536
25-Jan-2008, 09:30
Colour processing is easy to. Easier in some ways then B&W at least if you're organized.

steve simmons
25-Jan-2008, 09:55
You still have not told me where you live or if you are dong E-6 or C41. Who are you doing this for? Yourself or clients? Is the tight timeline for them or you? What do you do with the film - print from it, scan it, or.....?

You should be able to find a lab in a bigger city to do either E6 or C41.

I don't encourage people to do their own color processing. If you don't do a lot of work the chemicals may go bad and you won't know this until you get some bad film results. If you are giving transparencies to a client and have a low volume then don't do it yourself unless you need one or two day turnaround.

Black and white for yourself, yes, by all means do it yourself.

Color for yourself that you are going to scan and if you can tolerate a little variability then you might try it yourself.

steve simmons

Pat Kearns
25-Jan-2008, 11:38
B&W is really quite easy and John has mentioned the Unicolor?Beseler drums. In one of the other categories there is a list of color labs. Check it out and try one of them.