PDA

View Full Version : Apo-Nikkor 305mm f9 Will this work...

tomhoward
24-Jan-2008, 19:53
I'm new to large format but have a decent speed graphic and just got this APO-Nikkor 305mm lens cheap. The lens looks like it will just barely fit on a custom drilled graphic lensboard if I cut one to fit. The aperature ranges from f9 to f128. There is an extra sliding metal rod on the lens that I do not know the purpose of. Will this lens work on my speed graphic? The camera has a working focal plane shutter--the lens is not mounted in a shutter. Thanks for any suggestions. Tom

vinny
24-Jan-2008, 21:02
Sure. I don't see why not.

Gene McCluney
24-Jan-2008, 21:15
The lens will "just" fit on a graphic lens board, but are you going to have enough bellows to focus this lens? It will take 12" at infinity, and much more close up.

The sliding metal "rod" on your lens opens up a slot in the middle of the barrel to insert filters or waterhouse stops...not really of any use to you, but required in the graphic arts world.

Nick_3536
25-Jan-2008, 00:12
The other thing it's not exactly a general purpose lens on 4x5. Put it aside and look for a cheap 150mm in a shutter. Later you can decide if you want the 305mm.

Dan Fromm
25-Jan-2008, 04:04
Tom, the 305/9 Apo-Nikkor is a fine lens. I sometimes shoot one front-mounted on a #1 on my 2x3 Speed Graphic. It is good at all distances.

Two suggestions re mounting. First, Adam Dau of www.skgrimes.com has told me several times that the lens' cells are a direct fit in a #1 shutter. I've never dared dismantle mine to find out. But that's an option, subject to checking. Second, and pardon my vagueness because I'm at work and the lens is at home, if the lens is threaded at the rear for filters you can have a bushing made that will screw into the rear of the lens and that will accept a retaining ring. I have a couple of barrel lenses mounted on boards this way.

tomhoward
25-Jan-2008, 19:44
Tom, the 305/9 Apo-Nikkor is a fine lens. I sometimes shoot one front-mounted on a #1 on my 2x3 Speed Graphic. It is good at all distances.

Two suggestions re mounting. First, Adam Dau of www.skgrimes.com has told me several times that the lens' cells are a direct fit in a #1 shutter. I've never dared dismantle mine to find out. But that's an option, subject to checking. Second, and pardon my vagueness because I'm at work and the lens is at home, if the lens is threaded at the rear for filters you can have a bushing made that will screw into the rear of the lens and that will accept a retaining ring. I have a couple of barrel lenses mounted on boards this way.

Yes, thanks for the advice--it does have threads on the rear of the lens. I'll try to mount it on a redrilled lensboard--maybe a metal one for strength, since the hole will be big. Tom

David Vickery
26-Jan-2008, 09:42
If you can fit it on the camera and have enough bellows for it, then it will work quite well. You can use the slot for gel filters. I like to leave a yellow Wratten gel filter in the lens so that I don't have to worry about losing it or messing it up.

pierre salomon
26-Jan-2008, 21:43
Tom
I have used the same lens for long time and still own it. Mine have a rear collar/flange with 4 threated holes used to mount it on a wooden or metal lensboard. I found it to be a bit softer than my Apo Ronar 360. It's a great lens but just remember the sweet spot is f 22. Happy shooting!
Pierre