PDA

View Full Version : Photobackpacker Custom Enclosure

Kirk Gittings
24-Jan-2008, 17:54
For reasons that are a bit hard to explain, I needed a non standard camera box from PB for my 4x5 Phillips. I wanted a box as wide as the backer board to sore some odds and ends with the camera to minimize storage area normally lost to the double walls of separate boxes. I have to say that the Custom Camera Enclosure Bruce built me was perfect for my needs, sturdy, lightweight, very secure and reasonably priced.

These custom camera enclosures would work well for the plethora of new ULF offerings that are becoming so popular recently. People should check them out:

http://www.photobackpacker.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=RPT&Product_Code=CusEncMid&Category_Code=RPT01

domenico Foschi
24-Jan-2008, 18:18
Maybe this will work.
http://www.photobackpacker.co...ory_Code=RPT01
No, it doesn't.

Kirk Gittings
24-Jan-2008, 19:12
http://www.photobackpacker.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=RPT&Product_Code=CusEncMid&Category_Code=RPT01

This is the one I received. Unfortunately there are not good photographs of them on his website.

Steve Gilbert
24-Jan-2008, 21:15
I just bought a PhotoBackpacker system a couple weeks ago. I'd been using a Lowepro Pro Trekker with my Shen-Hao 4x5 for a while, but was never very happy with it. It was ridiculously heavy when empty, never seemed well balanced on my back, and was alway just a little too small for what I was wanting to carry. I recently upgraded to a wood Canham 4x5/5x7 and had to get a bigger bag.

I wanted the smallest, lightest pack that would carry everything...just something for short day hikes. I got the modified Kelty 3100 with the C10115 case for the camera and some lens cases. I've only had a chance to get out one time with it, but so far I am very impressed and pleased. I definitely need to do a little tweaking, but I think I'm on the right track to finally having the right pack. This system is considerably lighter than the Lowepro, provides plenty good enough protection for my needs, and keeps things very well organized and easy to reorganize.

The camera case is just a little big for the Canham, but I've got the bag bellows under it, and the dark cloth wrapped around the top, and that stuffs it full. No problem.

I do wish the Kelty were just a little bit bigger. I don't have room at all for my film holders in the main compartment, and so they are crammed (with little protection) in the outside pocket. I'm not so happy with that. I'm probably going to end up going to something bigger eventually (although the lady of the house is going to kill me if I come home with yet another camera bag or backpack). I'm also going to see about getting a backing board for my big multi-day pack. I also liked the way my tripod strapped onto the back of the Lowepro a little better than with the Kelty, but I'll figure out how to make it better.

Anyway...I'm hooked. A real hiking backpack with a PhotoBackpacker system...I think this is what I've been trying to find for so long. Highly recommended!

Kirk Gittings
24-Jan-2008, 22:49
I am using the 3100 too but for 4x5, plenty of room inside for camera, 5 lenses, light meter, dark cloth and about 35 readyloads with holder. Far lighter setup than my Lowepro too.