PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from Singapore

jamesong
23-Jan-2008, 10:49
Just found out about this site from my Singapore friend who is studying at Brooks.

The biggest format I am using is 4x5 and I may look into 8x10 .

Sandeha
23-Jan-2008, 10:58
Greetings !! Is Cathay Photo still the biggest draw in town? ;)

Scott Davis
23-Jan-2008, 12:37
Welcome from Washington DC!

Michael N. Meyer
23-Jan-2008, 14:44
Hey, I'll be in Singapore this March! Been wondering if I'll have any problem using a tripod or if I'll need to get permits.

Kevin M Bourque
23-Jan-2008, 20:40
Singapore, ah, I can smell the durian!

Capocheny
23-Jan-2008, 21:29
Just found out about this site from my Singapore friend who is studying at Brooks.

The biggest format I am using is 4x5 and I may look into 8x10 .

Hi James,

Welcome to the club from Vancouver, BC in Canada... 8x10 is a great format but look for a "LIGHT" weight camera! :)

Singapore, ah, I can smell the durian!

Hi Kevin,

If you cab manage to overcome the odor... they're sure tasty, aren't they? :)

Cheers

Ralph Barker
23-Jan-2008, 21:32
Welcome to the LF Forum, James.

Kevin M Bourque
24-Jan-2008, 07:49
"If you can manage to overcome the odor... they're sure tasty, aren't they?" That's the thing about durian, you can enjoy the flavor over and over again, all day long.

Singapore is a very interesting place. The modern sections have almost no "sense of place"....you could be in almost any modern glass and steel city. But there's plenty of personality if you go looking for it. Little India comes to mind, as well as Chinatown.

mrladewig
24-Jan-2008, 08:44
Welcome and greetings from Colorado.

You live in a beautiful city. I truly enjoyed working there. You can keep the durian, but I'd love to have a plate of char kway tao(sp?) back here at home. And a dragon fruit would be pretty nice too. I've been looking for dragon fruit for years and haven't found it in a local market yet.

Mel-

jamesong
25-Jan-2008, 20:02
Greetings !! Is Cathay Photo still the biggest draw in town? ;)

Sandeha,

Cathay Photo is alway crowded . There is one across the road, Ruby Photo, sells mostly films, studio and camera accessories. I buy from both places.

jamesong
25-Jan-2008, 20:04
Welcome from Washington DC!

Hi Scott,

I was in Washington DC with my family during 2006. This time I used my DSLR Nikon D200.

jamesong
25-Jan-2008, 20:14
Hey, I'll be in Singapore this March! Been wondering if I'll have any problem using a tripod or if I'll need to get permits.

Hi Michael,

Let me know the confirmed date and I can bring you around. You can use your tripod anywhere to shoot but you are not allowed to take pictures in the shopping mall, not for security but business competitors reason.

When I was in London, two policewomen question me when they saw my big huge camera with tripod pointing at Parliament House.:) When I wanted to shoot Tower Bridge at a distance on an elevated building, I was stopped by the security guard, tripod not allowed.

No problem with tripod in Singapore.

Jan Pedersen
25-Jan-2008, 20:19
James, Welcome from Portland Oregon. Hope that i one day can visit your part of the world.

jan

jamesong
25-Jan-2008, 20:22
Welcome and greetings from Colorado.

You live in a beautiful city. I truly enjoyed working there. You can keep the durian, but I'd love to have a plate of char kway tao(sp?) back here at home. And a dragon fruit would be pretty nice too. I've been looking for dragon fruit for years and haven't found it in a local market yet.

Mel-

Hi Mel,

Glad you like Singapore. Hope you will be able to get dragon fruit one day in Colorado.

I was in Colorado during my picture taking trip in 2005. I traveled 7,000 miles during my 30 days self drive trip, the half of Western USA. The other 30 days, I was at Woodland Hills, California.

jamesong
25-Jan-2008, 20:25
Hi everybody, lovers of LF photography,

Thanks for the warm welcome.:)