PDA

View Full Version : post your trees!

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31

Joe O'Hara
3-Aug-2008, 07:01
From January of this year.

Colin Graham
3-Aug-2008, 08:54
Angel Terrace, Yellowstone NP.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3060/2727879351_07077a04ac_o.jpg

jim kitchen
3-Aug-2008, 09:33
Dusk, Kootenay Crossing, British Columbia, Canada...

http://largeformatgroupimages.jimkitchen.ca/images/07072106.jpg

stefan d
3-Aug-2008, 12:22
Dancing trees taken with a Verito.

http://www.stefandieterich.de/inhalt/images/galerie5/ga5_1.jpg

Mark Whiting
3-Aug-2008, 21:21
Developed these in the Jobo this afternoon. Both taken with TMAX 100

Aspen Graffiti, Fuji 150. Oak Canopy, Nikkor 90mm F8

There are a lot of fantastic pictures in this thread

Greg Lockrey
3-Aug-2008, 21:30
Dusk, Kootenay Crossing, British Columbia, Canada...

http://largeformatgroupimages.jimkitchen.ca/images/07072106.jpg

This is a nice one Jim, and I know that this is more difficult to do than what appears. :)

Greg Lockrey
3-Aug-2008, 21:38
Ken, wonderful atmosphere in the forest scene.

And here is one of my trees, another one that I found interesting. It's shot with the Ilex Paragon 165mm lens on 13x18cm Fomapan 100 - the lens I have on offer in the F/S section.

http://www.vasina.net/wp-content/gallery/leto/p13x18-115_web.jpg

I don't know if I told you already Jiri (I have a touch of old-timers), but I do like your work. ;) ;)

Jiri Vasina
3-Aug-2008, 22:09
Greg, it's nice to hear all the time :D . Thanks a lot

jim kitchen
4-Aug-2008, 10:10
Dear Greg,

Merci...

It's funny that you say the word difficult regarding this image, but this image was very difficult for me for another reason, because I have a terrible fear of spiders, and I encountered a mean big nasty arachnid, just before I took the exposure.

As I removed my head from beneath the dark cloth after making my final focus adjustment, my eye caught a long shiny string of wavy light heading off to the tops of the Fir trees on my left, where the one inch ribbon seemed to be made of thin transparent silk. I remember asking myself what that could possibly be floating in my direction on the light evening breeze, and I remember that I could not stop thinking about how long the ribbon happened to be. The ribbon looked as though it was fifty or sixty meters long. As I placed my head under the dark cloth one last time to see whether the composition was lined out properly, I was immediately presented with a hazy image of a monstrous spider on my ground glass that scared the absolute crap out of me. I mean it looked huge...

I quickly backed from the camera, and noticed that this wavy band of silk had wrapped itself around my dark cloth, and the camera, so I walked underneath the band and looked at the lens on the front of the camera. A large angry spider in a reared defensive posture, with its forelegs outstretched, sat on top of my lens daring me to approach, so I did just that, and knocked the damn thing into next week.

I loaded the film, hoping that the spider was not as fast as he looked, clicked the shutter, and promptly left. :)

I always seem to remember what happens to me as I take an image, so I always have a story, or two to tell the patrons that are looking at my images.

I still shudder when I think of that moment...

jim k

Greg Lockrey
4-Aug-2008, 19:47
:D :D :D I was noticing more how you kept the Zone III in check without blowing the highlights, but GIGANTIC MAN EATING spiders are an issue too. Especially in the North Woods. Funny story... sorry to hear about your aracnidphobia. I was once photographing a very nice spider web with water drops in the sunlight at 1:1 when this hairy beast dropped into my sight causing me to fall back to the deck. :eek:

(A lot of people think they are seeing Sasquatch but it's really those giant spiders. lol lol )

jim kitchen
4-Aug-2008, 20:49
Dear Greg,

I use the Zone system more often than not, and I do use the BTZ process too, but I tend to use the Zone System more, since I am just a long time user of this method, and I am comfortable with my exposure results. Periodically though, I do underestimate my exposures while capturing an image this late in the evening...

I like the soft evening light, and because of that soft light love affair my exposures can creep past five minutes or so very quickly, since the diffused light from the Northern Alberta sky allows me to work close to 10:00pm, during the peak summer months. Matter of fact, when I am cruising and hiking in Jasper National Park during the midsummer, the Northern Light sky allows me to work until 1:00 am in the morning. I don't usually stay out in the bush that late at night, since I tend to have too many bear encounters.

The greatest benefit that late evening exposures offer me happens to be the wondrous dead calm after the sun sets beyond the horizon...

For the moment, I know my film's development times very well, my film's reciprocity issues, and my light meter's quasi-normal some day I will toss this damn thing off the cliff characteristics, within a very dimly lighted scene. I tend to expose the shadows for Zone IV to capture the detail, control my skewed highlights through the established development process, and selectively print down the Zone IV areas to bring Zone III into a proper black. I would rather have sufficient detail in Zone III by printing down a Zone IV, than not. I let the unimportant lower Zone black areas drift off into never, never land, where the Black Bears usually sit, and wait for me to pass by. :)

Highlights that run away on you during the printing process can be controlled effectively with a well mannered old school darkroom flashing technique.

I must thank you for your comments; incidentally, too...

jim k

Greg Lockrey
4-Aug-2008, 21:33
Your welcome Jim. I'm an old time Zone System guy. Being a printer by trade I just appreciate the difficulty in capturing very dark subject matter without losing the the detail. I never got into the BTZ process myself since I have been too occupied with everything else that keeps me busy. I like early morning and early evening when the winds calm down and you get directional light. So much to do... so little time. :) :)

Jim Fitzgerald
5-Aug-2008, 08:20
Dear Greg,

I use the Zone system more often than not, and I do use the BTZ process too, but I tend to use the Zone System more, since I am just a long time user of this method, and I am comfortable with my exposure results. Periodically though, I do underestimate my exposures while capturing an image this late in the evening...

I like the soft evening light, and because of that soft light love affair my exposures can creep past five minutes or so very quickly, since the diffused light from the Northern Alberta sky allows me to work close to 10:00pm, during the peak summer months. Matter of fact, when I am cruising and hiking in Jasper National Park during the midsummer, the Northern Light sky allows me to work until 1:00 am in the morning. I don't usually stay out in the bush that late at night, since I tend to have too many bear encounters.

The greatest benefit that late evening exposures offer me happens to be the wondrous dead calm after the sun sets beyond the horizon...

For the moment, I know my film's development times very well, my film's reciprocity issues, and my light meter's quasi-normal some day I will toss this damn thing off the cliff characteristics, within a very dimly lighted scene. I tend to expose the shadows for Zone IV to capture the detail, control my skewed highlights through the established development process, and selectively print down the Zone IV areas to bring Zone III into a proper black. I would rather have sufficient detail in Zone III by printing down a Zone IV, than not. I let the unimportant lower Zone black areas drift off into never, never land, where the Black Bears usually sit, and wait for me to pass by. :)

Highlights that run away on you during the printing process can be controlled effectively with a well mannered old school darkroom flashing technique.

I must thank you for your comments; incidentally, too...

jim k

Jim, I love this image. It is great.

Just curious if you filter your tree images to get the separation you get? I know in the soft light the range can be rather narrow ( 3 stops?). Do you then adjust in development? Thanks.

Jim

jim kitchen
5-Aug-2008, 09:43
Dear Jim,

Thank you kind sir...

I do not own any filters except one, which happens to be a polarizer, and it rarely sees daylight...

You are correct about the total zones, where there were only three, ranging from a placed middle Zone IV to a high Zone VI, and where I enhanced the tonal range slightly with N+1 development, nudging Zone IV just barely above the midpoint, and bumping Zone VI into Zone VII. Long standing darkroom skills acquired through a few excellent workshops by Barnbaum, Dusard, et al several years ago, allow me to take care of the image's balance, especially when I print the shadows down.

Their excellent darkroom techniques allow me the opportunity to produce shadows that are deep and rich, with great subtle information, while controlling the image's highlights properly. :)

jim k

jim kitchen
7-Aug-2008, 21:41
Dusk, along the edge of Herbert Lake, British Columbia, Canada...

The Trout were just jumping. :)

jim k

http://largeformatgroupimages.jimkitchen.ca/images/herbertLake_BC.jpg

Greg Lockrey
7-Aug-2008, 21:52
Another good one, Jim. ;) ;)

Brian_A
7-Aug-2008, 23:42
I know this is a little late, but that's a really nice image for your very first! (Well, it's nice even if it was your most recent!) Can't wait to see some more of your work.

-Brian

This is my first LF negative.
http://zack.loseby.net/images/45/2.jpg

jim kitchen
8-Aug-2008, 21:10
Please excuse this repost, since it is just a bit larger, compared to the previous post... :)

jim k

Dusk, Sibbald Creek, Alberta, Canada.

http://largeformatgroupimages.jimkitchen.ca/images/WhisperingPoplars_SibbaldCreek.jpg

Brian_A
9-Aug-2008, 03:30
Jim,

I like this one a lot, great image!

-Brian

Jim Fitzgerald
9-Aug-2008, 08:11
Jim, i love what the soft light does to the trees up there. Very nice image.
I forgot about this one. I guess it could be considered a tree image. Yosemite in February of this year. The intersecting line drew me into this image. 8x10 Efke PL-25 printed on Azo.

Jim

seawolf66
9-Aug-2008, 09:47
After Viewing all foto of tree's here I feel like a Piker , But here is a tree in the city I have come love for it has charecter by its self, at Boston Commons area. I hope you will agree :

It was shot with Efke-100ISO but metered at 50ISO with a Toyo 45CF use-ing a Rodenstock Sironar 1:5-6 F-150mm lens shot for two seconds and then Developed in ID-11 for ten minutes with solution cut to 1-4: then scanned cleaned up in fotoshop and posted here:

Payral
9-Aug-2008, 10:32
Bois de la Chaise - East Coast - France
8x10" contact Palladium print on Arches Platine

jim kitchen
9-Aug-2008, 12:07
Gentlemen,

Thank you for your comments, and your wonderful images...

I captured the following image several winters ago.

jim k

Morning Hoar Frost, Radium, Columbia Valley, British Columbia, Canada.

http://largeformatgroupimages.jimkitchen.ca/images/hoarFrostTree.jpg

dasBlute
9-Aug-2008, 14:12
many many many nice images...
humbly putting a couple here...

jim kitchen
11-Aug-2008, 08:12
Another winter tree scene from a few winters ago...

jim k

Near Banff, Alberta, Canada.

http://largeformatgroupimages.jimkitchen.ca/images/banffWinterTree.jpg

Vaughn
12-Aug-2008, 01:44
I don't think I have shown this one.

Burnt Snag, Yosemite Valley
Scan of a carbon print

5x7, 210mm, f64 at one second

Jim Cole
12-Aug-2008, 14:54
Here's some former trees shot on Acros and souped in Diafine. Neg was scanned, converted with ColorNeg and processed with Silver Efex.

The logging industry is a big part of Flagstaff history.

vinny
12-Aug-2008, 20:19
Jim, sweet shot. Logs never looked so good!

Jim Cole
12-Aug-2008, 20:45
Thanks, Vinny. It was a fun challenge.

jkcz
13-Aug-2008, 01:25
foma100, Sironar 210/5.6

John Brady
13-Aug-2008, 06:32
Is there anything other than trees to take pictures of???
jb
www.timeandlight.com

John Brady
13-Aug-2008, 06:49
JKCZ, very nice first post!

walterb
14-Aug-2008, 06:37
Three of my trees. I hope i uploaded these correctly. This is my first time uploading photos.

Chuck Pere
14-Aug-2008, 06:54
Walter, those are .psd images. JPG would be more universal.

Great photo JKCZ.

walterb
14-Aug-2008, 07:52
Chuck
Thanks for help
Greatly appreciated. I'll try again on the third on.e
Walterb

wclavey
14-Aug-2008, 09:00
Live Oaks & Spanish Moss

walterb
14-Aug-2008, 12:54
A day at the beech

jim kitchen
15-Aug-2008, 21:01
Folks,

Please excuse this repost, but here is an image I captured a long, long time ago...

jim k

Dusk, Lodgepole Pines, Kananaskis Country, Alberta, Canada.

http://largeformatgroupimages.jimkitchen.ca/images/lodgepoleKananaskis.jpg

Daniel_Buck
15-Aug-2008, 21:05
Jim, that's wonderful!

Kerik Kouklis
17-Aug-2008, 17:16
Trees in Fog, Oakland, CA
7x17 pt/pd print
http://kerik.com/TIF_Oakland_sm.jpg

More Trees in Fog, Oakland, CA
7x17 pt/pd print
http://kerik.com/TIF_Oakland_2_sm.jpg

Eucalyptus Grove, Morro Bay, CA
7x17 pt/pd print
http://kerik.com/ethereal_eucs_sm.jpg

jim kitchen
17-Aug-2008, 18:32
Dear Daniel,

Thank you...

These pines were difficult to capture, because the wind would come along, and jostle them just enough to give me grief, as I would click the shutter. So I patiently waited, and waited, like a fool, as it got darker and darker. I believe this image was the first image I decided to surrender to the wind, since my exposure was about thirty seconds, where I started the exposure after the trees stopped moving, and stopped the exposure when the wind came back. :)

jim k

Allen in Montreal
17-Aug-2008, 19:22
Kerik Kouklis
Re: post your trees!

Trees in Fog, Oakland, CA
7x17 pt/pd print

Kerlik,
What are you using for glass on the 7x17?
The idea of going ULF is very intriguing!

Kerik Kouklis
18-Aug-2008, 11:23
I've used an embarassing number of lenses for 7x17, a format I no longer shoot. It was my primary format for nearly 10 years, then I felt like I was done with it and now 14x17 is my main format for film. My favorite lenses for the 7x17 were 12" and 14" Dagors. I also made good use of a 210mm Computar and a 450mm Nikkor-M.

nelsonfotodotcom
18-Aug-2008, 14:57
I don't know why spiders creep me out, but they do. Probably stems from waking in the middle of the night as a boy to find a spider crawling over my face. The cockroaches--in Florida, big as finches in some cases--were another thing!

To this day, I hate walking into spider webs, immediately spinning around to rid myself of it and to make certain nothing is crawling on me. If it's a big one, I might even resort to squealing like a stuck pig while slapping at it.

Funny enough to read that. Funnier still to see it in play.

C.

:D :D :D I was noticing more how you kept the Zone III in check without blowing the highlights, but GIGANTIC MAN EATING spiders are an issue too. Especially in the North Woods. Funny story... sorry to hear about your aracnidphobia. I was once photographing a very nice spider web with water drops in the sunlight at 1:1 when this hairy beast dropped into my sight causing me to fall back to the deck. :eek:

(A lot of people think they are seeing Sasquatch but it's really those giant spiders. lol lol )

jnantz
18-Aug-2008, 15:21

Eugene van der Merwe
19-Aug-2008, 06:20
Trees, hope you like!:D

ljsegil
19-Aug-2008, 06:40
Still just learning, suggestions welcomed.
LJS

Greg Lockrey
19-Aug-2008, 07:26
I don't know why spiders creep me out, but they do.

C.

It must be a biblical thing like the fear of snakes.... :D

Allen in Montreal
19-Aug-2008, 07:32
Trees, hope you like!:D

I really like that second image very much (they are all nice).

Allen in Montreal
19-Aug-2008, 07:33
I've used an embarassing number of lenses for 7x17, a format I no longer shoot. It was my primary format for nearly 10 years, then I felt like I was done with it and now 14x17 is my main format for film. My favorite lenses for the 7x17 were 12" and 14" Dagors. I also made good use of a 210mm Computar and a 450mm Nikkor-M.

Thank you.

jnantz
19-Aug-2008, 08:55

Struan Gray
19-Aug-2008, 11:17
Were you with Capa on D-Day John? :-)

Wayne Crider
19-Aug-2008, 11:23
Ziatype; Tree Tops Park Davie Fla.
Crown Graphic, 135mm Optar.

jnantz
19-Aug-2008, 12:16
Were you with Capa on D-Day John? :-)

nope :)

nelsonfotodotcom
19-Aug-2008, 13:10
It must be a biblical thing like the fear of snakes.... :D

Nah, I like snakes. Used to catch all that I found (non-poisonous, mind you) as a boy.

C.

Greg Lockrey
19-Aug-2008, 14:40
Nah, I like snakes. Used to catch all that I found (non-poisonous, mind you) as a boy.

C.

I did too and snapping turtles... :)

jnantz
19-Aug-2008, 16:54
I don't know why spiders creep me out, but they do.
C.

you have every reason to be creeped out by spiders.
i was bitten by one, and it took 6months for me to get better.

John Brady
19-Aug-2008, 17:51
This was the calm before the storm we had today.

Joseph Kayne
19-Aug-2008, 19:25
Michigan.....

Thanks. Joe.

claudiocambon
23-Aug-2008, 21:42
Tocuaro, Michoacan, Mexico, looking towards Janitzio on the Lago de Patzcuaro, this January with the Tech V and the 135. The scan is a bit crappy, but I thought I woul show this anyway. Cheers!

claudiocambon
24-Aug-2008, 08:08
And another one from Tilaco, Queretaro, Mexico. Same set up as before.

jnantz
24-Aug-2008, 08:23

LeoK
29-Aug-2008, 16:32
Cronesteyn near Leiden.
FP-4, 150mm.

Ben Chase
30-Aug-2008, 12:50
http://www.benchasephoto.com/storage/images-for-external/Watchers-Version2-Horiz.jpg

The Watchers

FP4 @ 125 - Glacier National Park, Montana

vinny
30-Aug-2008, 13:15
Pere Marquette River
june 2008
velvia
135mm nikkor
drum scan

Mark Stahlke
30-Aug-2008, 19:54
OK, I'll have a go at this.

This poor little tree bravely clings to life in the harsh conditions at 12,200 feet in the Colorado Rockies. Unlike its more majestic cousins, it will never amount to much. And yet it perseveres. It's inspiring.

It reminds me of my own relationship with LF photography - it'll never amount to much but I keep at it. :)

Tachihara 4x5, 110mm (?), E100VS

h2oman
31-Aug-2008, 09:06
That's really nice, Mike. It looks a bit oversaturated here on my computer, but I suspect the original transparency is much better. The bend in the tree and the rock inside the bend really go together nicely. Good eye.

ajbirdboy
4-Sep-2008, 19:05
Hi all,
This is a 200+ y/o Locust tree in the village of Saugerties, NY. Having a good time with the paper negs.
Al

Greg Lockrey
4-Sep-2008, 19:32
Pere Marquette River
june 2008
velvia
135mm nikkor
drum scan

I know exactly where this is Vinny. Great river for salmon and steel head too! :)

Greg Lockrey
4-Sep-2008, 19:33
The Watchers

FP4 @ 125 - Glacier National Park, Montana

Nice one Ben, good title.

Brian_A
4-Sep-2008, 20:18
Here's another shot from the Manassas Battlefield near my home in Virginia. I will always remember this shot (As mundane and so so as I'm sure you all think it is) because I had my good 'ol Bogen 3021 with my Cambo SC and Nikkor-W 150mm f/5.6 and a bag filled full of my film holders, meter, loupe and, plenty of other stuff while bundled up because that day was about -10 with wind chill. Now, I know for a lot of you, that's not much - but for Northern Virginia Virginia it is :D

Now, that all combined, I walked up about half a mile on a busy Lee Highway (Route 29) with all of this with about a foot of walking space between a big sheet of ice and the yellow line of the road. Unfortunately the "snow" was more of a frozen tundra at that point so walking on it with that camera was not an option. Again, I'm sure that's not much compared to some of all of your stories, but it's just something that I'll always remember this shot for.

Anyway, I love the trees on this battlefield.. I chose to make them kind of a back up to the scene with the fence in the foreground. In this area, if you see that type of fence, you know you're at a battlefield and that's what I wanted people to know with one of my favorite dramatic trees a ways back. Anyways, enough of this stuff. Take a look for yourself. I hope you enjoy it!

-Brian

http://www.AkersonStudios.com/lfforum/mbf64.jpg

Cambo SC 4x5 w/ Compendium Shade, Nikkor-W 150mm f/5.6, Bogen 3021 Pro Tripod w/ Bogen 3 Way Head, Kodak T-Max 100, 1/250th or 1/125th f/64 as Metered w/ a Sekonic DualMaster L-558R, Scanned with Epson V750-M Pro.

Vaughn
6-Sep-2008, 17:03
Oak, Cascade Creek
Yosemite National Park

Scanned carbon print -- 8x10

jim kitchen
6-Sep-2008, 21:06
As mundane and so so as I'm sure you all think it is...

<snip>

-Brian

Dear Brian,

I do like your image...

Almost everyone contributes an image periodically for the viewing members to review, and in my estimation, the presented images are never mundane. There are several gifted images makers that contribute to this site, and it is a pleasure to see their consistent, yet various methods, and techniques, which I seem to learn from daily. I just happen to like looking at everyone's images, including yours.

I therefore encourage you to present more of your images... :)

jim k

http://www.AkersonStudios.com/lfforum/mbf64.jpg

Jim Fitzgerald
7-Sep-2008, 12:09
Oak, Cascade Creek
Yosemite National Park

Scanned carbon print -- 8x10

Vaughn, I can see the 3-D look in this print. Was this taken during the time we went to Yosemite in February? Great depth to the image and the hot background is well under control. People don't know what they are missing with carbon transfer!

Jim

Vaughn
7-Sep-2008, 14:48
Thanks, Jim. No, from a previous trip (and a re-take of the scene taken on a previous trip). A very nice oak -- just upcreek from the parking lot as one is leaving the Valley (via the Merced River route). Don't know if I'll photograph it again, but I'll take the small effort to visit it again. Taken at about the same time of year as our visit together, though.

There are some blown-out hightlights in the scan that are there on the print.

Vaughn

vinny
7-Sep-2008, 16:24
Here are a couple from my first trip to Yosemite.
May 2008
Merced River
8x10 305mm g claron
4x10 450mm nikkor

worlda02
7-Sep-2008, 16:24
Taken by my Great-Great Grandfather:

Jim Fitzgerald
7-Sep-2008, 17:37
Vinny, very nice. I especially love the 4x10.

Jim

Jan Pedersen
7-Sep-2008, 18:13
Vinny, As Jim said the 4x10 is very nice, like the soft tones.

jan

Eric James
7-Sep-2008, 18:46
September
Dalton Highway
Fuji Astia
Rodenstock 150mm Apo Sironar S
ExtraTuf rubber boots:)

Brian_A
7-Sep-2008, 19:13
Mr. K,

Well, coming from you, that is very encouraging to know. I do find the same things you do very true. My problem is is that I just don't think that my photographs rate up there with the brilliant ones that you, Jiri Vasina, Mr. Ladewig and Collin Orthner post up here. (No disrespect intended to anyone else....) Anyway, thank you for the encouragement!

-Brian

Dear Brian,

I do like your image...

Almost everyone contributes an image periodically for the viewing members to review, and in my estimation, the presented images are never mundane. There are several gifted images makers that contribute to this site, and it is a pleasure to see their consistent, yet various methods, and techniques, which I seem to learn from daily. I just happen to like looking at everyone's images, including yours.

I therefore encourage you to present more of your images... :)

jim k

Brian_A
7-Sep-2008, 19:41
September
Dalton Highway
Fuji Astia
Rodenstock 150mm Apo Sironar S
ExtraTuf rubber boots:)

Eric,

Love that shot. Great work, I don't find a lot of shots where the reflections show as well as it does in your shot.

-Brian

Vaughn
7-Sep-2008, 20:47
I can't remember if I have shown this one before. Lots of trees.

Bull creek Flats
Humboldt Redwoods State Park, CA
Scanned Platinum print (4x10)

Vaughn
7-Sep-2008, 20:50
And another I can't remember if I have shown on this forum. Somehow a nude showed up in the photo...

Fallen Redwood
Prairie Creek Redwood National Park
Scaned silver print (from 4x5 negative)

Jim Fitzgerald
7-Sep-2008, 21:01
Vaughn, these are nice. I have seen the second one but not the first. Both are very nice. I can't wait until next month to come up and shoot.

Jim

Brian_A
7-Sep-2008, 21:02

Bull creek Flats

Very nice image. I really like your 4x10's. Very relaxing images.

-Brian

Jan Pedersen
7-Sep-2008, 21:32
Vaughn, Both are very very nice. I keep looking for nudes on the tree's around here but ther are none, must be the Oregon climate :rolleyes:

jan

jim kitchen
7-Sep-2008, 21:35
My son's favourite fishing hole... :)

jim k

Again, Deep within Kananaskis Country, Alberta, Canada.

http://largeformatgroupimages.jimkitchen.ca/images/alexFavouriteFishingHole.jpg

jim kitchen
7-Sep-2008, 21:42
And another I can't remember if I have shown on this forum. Somehow a nude showed up in the photo...

Dear Vaughn,

That is a very large tree, or a very small nude... :)

Fabulous image.

jim k

Jiri Vasina
7-Sep-2008, 22:42
Here are a couple from my first trip to Yosemite.
May 2008
Merced River
8x10 305mm g claron
4x10 450mm nikkor

Vinny, I also like the 4x10 very much. Beautiful.

Bull creek Flats

Vaughn, I think I have already seen that one, but love to look at that one again. (And you can post it even more, it's so good :) ).

jim k

Again, Jim, a nice one. The tones, the light...

Greg Lockrey
7-Sep-2008, 22:49

jim k

I bet these prints of yours are something to see in person. ;) ;)

Vaughn
8-Sep-2008, 09:33
Thanks all!

Vaughn

(Tall lady -- very large tree.)

jim kitchen
8-Sep-2008, 11:00
I bet these prints of yours are something to see in person. ;) ;)

Dear Greg,

I have this darn problem with my images, and I always want to see them as a large image, such as 24X30 and framed, because I know how much detail happens to be within the image, right down to the subtle tonal changes within the shadows, and the highlights, even in a group of trees a kilometre away...

Printing an image to fit a 16X20, or even an 8X10, seems to trouble me, because this fabulous detail can be lost in a small image simply resulting from the size of the print, but smaller images do have their place within my portfolio. Posting an image on this site, albeit a jpeg for convenience, cannot show the full dynamic range an image could contain, compared to an image within a properly lighted gallery environment, whether the image is large or small. A gallery environment tends to give an image the opportunity to be very luminous, full bodied, and properly presented.

As a side note, I periodically discover humorous moments when my images are viewed in a gallery environment, because I tend to find that a potential client or collector reviews the image from a very comfortable viewing distance, while the curious customer with the "I have a camera that will make me a perfect image" over their shoulder, just left his or her nose grease on the glass. The client always discusses the tones, the balance and, or whatever they may find interesting in an image, while the other image maker is still looking for that squirrel I told him about earlier. :)

Again thank you for your comments.

jim k

Drew Bedo
8-Sep-2008, 11:28
A few Roses then.

jim kitchen
14-Sep-2008, 17:19
A cousin to a previous image... :)

Again, very late in the evening, soft light from the northern sky, and a gentle touch of wind coming off the mountain.

jim k

Whispering Poplars, Dusk, Kananaskis Country, Alberta, Canada.

http://largeformatgroupimages.jimkitchen.ca/images/whisperingPoplarsAtDusk_AB.jpg

jim kitchen
15-Sep-2008, 09:16
Winter is just around the corner... :)

jim k

Hoar Frost, Fish Creek Park, Calgary, Alberta, Canada.

http://largeformatgroupimages.jimkitchen.ca/images/hoarFrostFishCreekPark_AB.jpg

Brian_A
15-Sep-2008, 09:57
Mr. K,

4x10? Once again, very nice image! What are the "tech" specs on this? Film, lens?

-Brian

gevalia
15-Sep-2008, 10:42
Jim,

Eduate me. What's a "hoar frost"?

jim k

http://largeformatgroupimages.jimkitchen.ca/images/hoarFrostFishCreekPark_AB.jpg

Vaughn
15-Sep-2008, 11:09
Jim,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frost

Allen in Montreal
15-Sep-2008, 11:11
Jim,

Hoarfrost

A deposit of interlocking ice crystals (hoar crystals) formed by direct sublimation on objects, usually those of small diameter freely exposed to the air, such as tree branches, plant stems and leaf edges, wires, poles, etc., which surface is sufficiently cooled, mostly by nocturnal radiation, to cause the direct sublimation of the water vapor contained in the ambient air.

Allen in Montreal
15-Sep-2008, 11:13
It must have been a really nice moment, the fresh clean air, no one else around to disturb....very nice!

jim k

jim kitchen
15-Sep-2008, 13:30
It must have been a really nice moment, the fresh clean air, no one else around to disturb....very nice!

Dear Allen,

Thank you...

It was very refreshing, and my coveralls were soaked, while trekking through the tall frost covered prairie grass to reach that viewpoint. The sun was migrating behind some very dense cloud cover as I reached the viewpoint, so the scene changed rapidly from bright and sparkling, to soft and furry. :)

jim k

stehei
15-Sep-2008, 15:42
my 2 cents on trees ;)

Daniel_Buck
15-Sep-2008, 15:43
stehei, I enjoy it :)

jim kitchen
15-Sep-2008, 20:52
my 2 cents on trees ;)

Great image...

Your two cents is welcome at my bank... :)

jim k

jim kitchen
15-Sep-2008, 21:31
Mr. K,

4x10? Once again, very nice image! What are the "tech" specs on this? Film, lens?

-Brian

Dear Brian,

Merci, again... :)

My film for this cropped 4X5 hoar frost image happened to be FP4, developed in HC-110 Dilution B, and the lens was a 300mm Schneider Symmar, strapped to a Linhof Technika. I captured this image in December 1987, where I decided then to dispose of the extreme boring winter sky, so I cropped the image, accordingly. As I mentioned earlier the sky was filled with fabulous cloud formations and a huge Alberta blue sky, but Nature changed that in a heartbeat, while I set up my camera. Ilford FP4 was my favourite film at the time, developed in Perceptol, but I ran out of Perceptol and decided to use HC-110 with N+1 development. I found that I continued to use HC-110 from that point forward, since my finished prints seemed to appear sharper because HC-110 created a coarse grain structure, compared to Perceptol. I still love Perceptol and FP4, because tonal magic seems to happen when those two British subjects get together.

Today my images are captured with my 8X10, and a series of Schneider lenses, while using TMY, and XTOL...

jim k

Daniel_Buck
15-Sep-2008, 22:00
Apples!! :) I had a red filter with me, but since some of the apples were still green, I opted to shoot with no filter.

http://www.buckshotsblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/rileys_13.jpg

jim kitchen
15-Sep-2008, 22:20
Jim,

Educate me. What's a "hoar frost"?

What Vaughn and Allen said...

I am reminded again about the term "hoar" frost, where I must describe a humorous encounter with a young woman at a gallery event earlier this year, and where the young woman became very upset with me for using the term "hoar" within the title of an image, which happens to be an image I posted several days ago within this thread. I could not convince her, during our discussion, that two different words contained similar phonetics within the English language, and I could not convince her that the words had completely different meanings. As our discussion progressed, the young woman explained that she could not purchase an image, and present the image in her home, if the image title contained the word "hoar."

The young woman left the gallery without the image, and I could only smile, knowing that she felt confident with her decision... :)

jim k

Jim Cole
15-Sep-2008, 22:41
Daniel,

Just beautiful!

http://www.buckshotsblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/rileys_13.jpg[/QUOTE]

Vaughn
16-Sep-2008, 07:46
The young woman left the gallery without the image, and I could only smile, knowing that she felt confident with her decision... :)
jim k

Must be the hoar-moans...:rolleyes:

Vaughn

jim kitchen
16-Sep-2008, 08:12
Must be the hoar-moans...:rolleyes:

Vaughn

That is what I should have said... :)

jim k

jim kitchen
16-Sep-2008, 08:14
Dear Daniel,

That is quite a fabulous image...

Well done.

jim k

Matt Magruder
16-Sep-2008, 13:36
All weekend long I was enchanted by trees and pouring collodion...

http://www.matthewmagruder.com/files/gimgs/19_8x10bgtreevinesstairs.jpg
8x10 on blackened glass

http://www.matthewmagruder.com/files/gimgs/19_6x8altreesdetail.jpg
6x8 alumitype

http://www.matthewmagruder.com/files/gimgs/19_6x8altreesblurry.jpg
6x8 alumitype

http://www.matthewmagruder.com/files/gimgs/19_8x10bgtreeknot.jpg
8x10 on blackened glass

Jiri Vasina
16-Sep-2008, 22:13
Matt, those are wonderful, especially the 2nd and 4th. Those 2 I really love.

Jiri Vasina
16-Sep-2008, 22:29
and I forgot, Daniel, those apples are excellent...

Apples!! :) I had a red filter with me, but since some of the apples were still green, I opted to shoot with no filter.

Here I'll add one of my own, from the other end of tree's life cycle.

Dead tree.

http://www.vasina.net/wp-content/gallery/leto/p13x18-155_web.jpg

Chamonix 5×8", 13×18cm Fomapan 100, Repro-Claron 305mm, Rodinal.

Struan Gray
16-Sep-2008, 23:52
I am reminded again about the term "hoar" frost, where I must describe a humorous encounter with a young woman at a gallery event earlier this year, and where the young woman became very upset with me for using the term "hoar" within the title of an image, which happens to be an image I posted several days ago within this thread. I could not convince her, during our discussion, that two different words contained similar phonetics within the English language, and I could not convince her that the words had completely different meanings. As our discussion progressed, the young woman explained that she could not purchase an image, and present the image in her home, if the image title contained the word "hoar."

Next time, you can always quote Shakespeare:

There is a willow grows aslant a brook,
That shows his hoar leaves in the glassy stream;
Therewith fantastic garlands did she make
Of crow-flowers, nettles, daisies, and long purples
That liberal shepherds give a grosser name,
But our cold maids do dead men's fingers call them:
There, on the pendent boughs her coronet weeds
Clambering to hang, an envious sliver broke;
When down her weedy trophies and herself
Fell in the weeping brook. Her clothes spread wide;
And, mermaid-like, awhile they bore her up:
Which time she chanted snatches of old lauds;
As one incapable of her own distress,
Or like a creature native and indued
Unto that element: but long it could not be
Till that her garments, heavy with their drink,
Pull'd the poor wretch from her melodious lay
To muddy death.

jim kitchen
17-Sep-2008, 06:48
Next time, you can always quote Shakespeare:

Dear Struan,

Hamlet, Act IV, Scene 7, a reference to Ophelia's current state...

I will do that. :)

jim k

Jehu
17-Sep-2008, 10:01
Tree picture that some balloons got into somehow :rolleyes:
From a beginner:

Benno Jones
17-Sep-2008, 17:06
Leonardo 4x5 3" Pinhole Camera (f/250) @ 6 minutes. Acros @ EI 50. Pyrocat-HD 1:1:100 32.3 minutes (developed to be used for Argyrotype print). Film scan (Contrast adjusted).

Daniel_Buck
17-Sep-2008, 17:55
180mm on the 1st, 240mm on the 2nd

http://www.buckshotsblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/rileys_10.jpg

http://www.buckshotsblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/rileys_11.jpg

jim kitchen
17-Sep-2008, 19:10
Dear Daniel,

Absolutely wondrous images...

You surely know how to pick them. Is that your back yard? :)

jim k

Daniel_Buck
17-Sep-2008, 21:06
Thanks Jim :) I don't even have a back yard :( wish I did!

Struan Gray
18-Sep-2008, 00:18
Hamlet, Act IV, Scene 7, a reference to Ophelia's current state...

I will do that. :)

On second thoughts, if she can't handle the tension of "hoar"/"whore" she's probably going to interpret that quote as a threat. Then she'll sue you and you'll have to sell all your cameras to pay the legal fees.

"Just smile and wave boys, smile and wave"

:-)

stefan d
18-Sep-2008, 10:25
Good old Heliar ...

http://www.stefandieterich.de/inhalt/images/Forenbilder/298.jpg

Vaughn
18-Sep-2008, 10:34
Cheating here a little.
Taken with Gowland 4x5 using (gasp!) 120 roll film.
Scanned RA4 print.
Gums on my wife's parent's farm in Australia.

Matt Magruder
18-Sep-2008, 14:15
Another of trees right outside my front door.

my first 12x20 Wet Plate Collodion on Blackened Glass.

http://www.matthewmagruder.com/files/gimgs/19_12x20bgtree.jpg

Colin Graham
18-Sep-2008, 16:24
white poplars

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3092/2869176008_55540b8440.jpg

GSX4
18-Sep-2008, 17:09
Here's one more using an 8 3/4" Wollensak Verito Diffuse Portrait lens in Copal 3.... Taken while the MN APUG group were up the North shore in Minnesota last Friday morning at the Temperance River State Park campground. Shot WIDE OPEN on APX100 souped in Ultrafin 1:30

jim kitchen
19-Sep-2008, 12:45
Another frosty morning, quite a few moons ago... :)

jim k

Hoar Frost, Forest Floor, Near Radium, British Columbia, Canada, 1986.

http://largeformatgroupimages.jimkitchen.ca/images/hoarFrostForestFloorRadium_BC.jpg

Jiri Vasina
21-Sep-2008, 22:24
Alley full of Sun.

http://www.vasina.net/wp-content/gallery/leto/p13x18-162_web.jpg

Nigels
22-Sep-2008, 04:34
Ok, let me have a go at posting something. Pegnutt Wood in Bedforshire, England.
http://gallery.photo.net/photo/842715-md.jpg
(Ebony RSW, Schneider 150/5.6 APO-Symmar, Velvia 50, 6secs at F/32)

Steve M Hostetter
26-Sep-2008, 17:00
Tennessee Cypress

Steve M Hostetter
26-Sep-2008, 17:08
one more?

z_photo
26-Sep-2008, 17:22
reelfoot lake? shots of cypress bring back a memory of growing up near the swamps of south louisiana. that memory is... snakes. i hope to visit one of those swamps again soon

Steve M Hostetter
26-Sep-2008, 17:25
Hey Z photo,,, Yes, Reelfoot Lake

Steve M Hostetter
30-Sep-2008, 17:58
Reelfoot

jim kitchen
30-Sep-2008, 22:42
Great images everyone...

While hiking with my young son Alex again this past August, we came upon this scene which proved to be physically daunting if we went further into the pass, so we unpacked the backpacks, and set up the 8X10 to capture this view. The time was deep into the afternoon hours, and the campsite was more than an hour away, so we decided that we would come back to this area next year to explore the pass further. The image presents a part of Alberta that many folks never get to see... :)

jim k

An Unnamed High Mountain Pass, South Southwest of Chain Lakes, Alberta, Canada, 2008

http://largeformatgroupimages.jimkitchen.ca/images/highMountainPass_AB.jpg

Jiri Vasina
30-Sep-2008, 22:47
I'll add one of my recent captures here too...

Hole.

http://www.vasina.net/wp-content/gallery/leto/p5x8-019_web.jpg

Chamonix 5&#215;8", 5&#215;8" Adox CHS 25, Schneider Xenar 210mm, Rodinal.

Jiri Vasina
30-Sep-2008, 22:48
Jim K, the texture in the rocks and trees is wonderful...

W K Longcor
1-Oct-2008, 04:58
I'll add one of my recent captures here too...

Hole.

http://www.vasina.net/wp-content/gallery/leto/p5x8-019_web.jpg

Chamonix 5×8", 5×8" Adox CHS 25, Schneider Xenar 210mm, Rodinal.

Great image! But I am puzzled by the subject. Is that a natural formation or something man-made? And, if man-made -- why? But, as always Jiri -- great image!

Jiri Vasina
1-Oct-2008, 08:03
William, thanks.

To tell the truth, I don't know for sure. The rock formation is most likely natural (it is even a protected site), but the hole seems to be dug by man. As to why, I don't have any idea. It can not serve as a storage, it can not serve as a shelter against weather (it will even catch some water because the hole is in a kind of pit or hollow), it can not serve as water reservoir - too shallow and open on one side. And it is not a partly finished cave or hiding, abandoned prior to finishing. I have not found any explanation for the purpose anywhere.

But it provided for a nice subject. I've already taken some photos there in the past, and most likely will return there yet.

Here it is in the past spring. (I have already presented it here somewhere, but can not find the exact post, so here it is again...)

http://www.vasina.net/wp-content/gallery/jaro/p13x18-083_web.jpg

Jiri Vasina
1-Oct-2008, 08:10
Now that I look at the images in sequence I noticed something someone would surely ask, so I'll answer it right away. :)

If you look closely, on the spring image, there seem to be no trees to the right of the rock formation, yet they are just 6 months later there. I did not modify any of the pictures in any way. I choose my compositions so that I don't have to modify my pictures afterwards. I've once or twice did some electric-pole removal, but I don't like that, and I'm not inwardly happy with that. My attitude at the moment is that I'm betraying myself with this modifications.

The spring image is shot from a position well bellow the rock formation (more than 10meters vertically), the close-up is from the level of entrance to the hole (there is a ridge right in front of it) and there was another ridge behind me...

jim kitchen
1-Oct-2008, 08:21
Jim K, the texture in the rocks and trees is wonderful...

Dear Jiri,

Merci, young man... :)

Your recent image does have a unique shape, and I bet that many folks will continue to be curious about the shape, and cause of the formation. Nicely done...

jim k

Don Hutton
1-Oct-2008, 10:50
reelfoot lake? shots of cypress bring back a memory of growing up near the swamps of south louisiana. that memory is... snakes. i hope to visit one of those swamps again soonAbout a year ago I was photographing some cypress roots in Winter Park Florida - suburban Orlando. Anyway as emerged from the darkcloth, I stood forward around the front of the camera to close the shutter after composing, and stood on a large cottonmouth! I'm pretty certain I got the bigger fright... although it's first reaction was to dive for the water, which was just as well as I was wearing sandals, when boots would have been far more sensible... Bizarrely, the snake didn't disappear - it headed under a partially submerged bush about 6 feet offshore and turned around to observe. After a little standoff, it swam back and slithered out in front of my tripod again (I had retreated a few feet back to a convenient park bench). Of course, I couldn't keep my 3 and 6 year olds away from the excitement at the water's edge after that and eventually had to leave.

Steve M Hostetter
4-Oct-2008, 05:38
About a year ago I was photographing some cypress roots in Winter Park Florida - suburban Orlando. Anyway as emerged from the darkcloth, I stood forward around the front of the camera to close the shutter after composing, and stood on a large cottonmouth! I'm pretty certain I got the bigger fright... although it's first reaction was to dive for the water, which was just as well as I was wearing sandals, when boots would have been far more sensible... Bizarrely, the snake didn't disappear - it headed under a partially submerged bush about 6 feet offshore and turned around to observe. After a little standoff, it swam back and slithered out in front of my tripod again (I had retreated a few feet back to a convenient park bench). Of course, I couldn't keep my 3 and 6 year olds away from the excitement at the water's edge after that and eventually had to leave.

Which brings me to my story about this homeless dude on 81st. street in south Chicago

stefan d
4-Oct-2008, 07:16
http://www.stefandieterich.de/inhalt/images/forenbilder/Birken1.jpg

SadChi
4-Oct-2008, 07:33
http://www.stefandieterich.de/inhalt/images/forenbilder/Birken1.jpg

Stefan,

Interesting picture and DOF effect. Which lens did you use?

domenico Foschi
4-Oct-2008, 07:46
Stefan,
that is a beautiful image.
Truly inspiring.
Thank you

domenico Foschi
4-Oct-2008, 07:53
This is from Ravenna, my home town,
http://i33.tinypic.com/2nvau7o.jpg

Allen in Montreal
4-Oct-2008, 10:17
Very nice image.
Ravenna is a lovely town!!

SadChi
4-Oct-2008, 10:29

Peaceful and vintage look. Thanks for sharing.

stefan d
4-Oct-2008, 11:31
Thanks Domenico and SadChi for your kind words.
Domenico, your photos are very special and stunning. You always catch the mood in a perfect way.
I have made my photo with a P&S Visual Quality No. 3 on 8x10”. The lens is a little bit too small for 8x10 and so the edges run out of sharpness.
All the best from Berlin
Stefan d

Hollis
4-Oct-2008, 11:58
Here are some

Jiri Vasina
4-Oct-2008, 22:14
Yes Domenico, wonderful image of yours, the atmosphere...

And Hollis, interesting triptich.

domenico Foschi
4-Oct-2008, 23:33
Very nice image.
Ravenna is a lovely town!!

Thank you guys.
Allen, I grow more homesick day by day.
When did you go there?

Greg Lockrey
8-Oct-2008, 16:21

jim k

http://largeformatgroupimages.jimkitchen.ca/images/alexFavouriteFishingHole.jpg

I bet these prints of yours are something to see in person.

I had a few dollars burning a hole in my pocket so I decided to contact Jim about purchasing a few of his prints to actually see how they do look in person. Today, I received three 24x30" matted and signed images from Jim that had admired here on the forum and coming from a 30+ year printing background I am jaded like a porn star is when going on a regular date. :) I don't need to buy art since I have access to much of it anyway. My first impression was "TOUCH MY EYES!!!" They are absolutely incredible. The whites and blacks both have sufficient detail with the whites are just popping and blacks as rich as you can get at the same time. This is hard to do and what we as printers strive to accomplish. The images via our monitors on the net do not do them justice. :) Thanks, Jim.

jim kitchen
8-Oct-2008, 18:43
I had a few dollars burning a hole in my pocket so I decided to contact Jim about purchasing a few of his prints to actually see how they do look in person. Today, I received three 24x30" matted and signed images from Jim that had admired here on the forum and coming from a 30+ year printing background I am jaded like a porn star is when going on a regular date. :) I don't need to buy art since I have access to much of it anyway. My first impression was "TOUCH MY EYES!!!" They are absolutely incredible. The whites and blacks both have sufficient detail with the whites are just popping and blacks as rich as you can get at the same time. This is hard to do and what we as printers strive to accomplish. The images via our monitors on the net do not do them justice. :) Thanks, Jim.

Dear Greg,

You are welcome, kind sir...

I hope they bring you and your family great pleasure for many years to come. :)

jim k

Roman
2-Nov-2008, 15:44
This is my favourite topic here.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3280/2996400395_00a1824e09_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3291/2996400385_9d28ac9722_o.jpg

christopherbwurzbach
2-Nov-2008, 17:40
http://christopherbrandonwurzbach.com/christopher/rubbish.jpg

http://christopherbrandonwurzbach.com/christopher/woodpile.jpg

http://christopherbrandonwurzbach.com/christopher/woods.jpg

Christopher Wurzbach
www.christopherwurzbach.com

Alex Wei
4-Nov-2008, 21:06
Just got mine. 4X5 with a brass lens.

http://www.pbase.com/image/105165053.jpg

Eric James
4-Nov-2008, 21:45
Very cool Alex - you were meant for one another!

Steve Wadlington
5-Nov-2008, 00:55
Foxtail pines in Sierra's. 6x12cm pano

Daniel_Buck
6-Nov-2008, 11:24
12" Gundlach Radar at f4.5, 8x10 Tri-x 320

http://www.buckshotsblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/topanga_tree_09.jpg

goamules
6-Nov-2008, 15:53
Here's a wetplate collodion I took last year of an area that had a forest fire a few years previous. Halfplate with Dallmeyer Rectilinear Landscape lens.

Allen in Montreal
6-Nov-2008, 17:33
Daniel,

My daughter loves your tree and exclaimed, that is a great climbing tree!
Did he bring his son climbing?? :)

Jim Bradley
6-Nov-2008, 23:39
I drive by these everyday on the way to work.
Toyo 45A Schneider 150mm Symar Convertible (old)Fuji Velvia f22 @ 1/8th

JGB

dasBlute
6-Nov-2008, 23:50
wow 67 paged of trees, awesome!!

Preston
7-Nov-2008, 08:50
http://www.gildedmoon.com/images/canp/479-1web.jpg

Made in October along the South Fork of Bishop Creek, Sierra Nevada.

Tachihara 4x5
180mm Fujinon
Astia 100-F

This thread contains a fabulous selection of photographs!

-Preston

JPlomley
8-Nov-2008, 08:05
Sequoia NP on a very foggy morning.

Ilford Delta-100 reverse processed, scanned on an iQ3
Arca Swiss 4x5
Schneider 110XL

Jan Pedersen
8-Nov-2008, 11:50

Arca Swiss 4x5
Schneider 110XL
Attached Thumbnails

Stunningly beautiful.

bernal
8-Nov-2008, 12:18
JPlomley, what a beautiful image of yours!

mikebarger
8-Nov-2008, 12:24
WOW!!!!!!!!!!

Mike

Donald Miller
8-Nov-2008, 13:11

Arca Swiss 4x5
Schneider 110XL

Great evocative image.

Allen in Montreal
8-Nov-2008, 14:49

Very nice!!

JPlomley
8-Nov-2008, 16:01
A warm thank-you to all that took the time to respond.

I was about to give up LF out of frustration until I spent a weekend with Ted Harris. I am indebted to Ted for his patience and consistent encouragement over the 18 months I got to know him.

I'll post another image in honor of Ted. These Cottonwoods were recorded while hiking through the Virgin Narrows, captured with my 135 Rodenstock APO Sironar-S, a lens Ted let me try at his workshop and which I immediately went out and purchased new as soon as I saw the resulting chromes.

Cheers Ted.

~ Jeff

zoneVIII
9-Nov-2008, 06:18
this mine Heliar 150, tmx100

Preston
9-Nov-2008, 11:02
Jeff,

Both images are really beautiful, but the Sequoia image is over-the-top-drop-dead gorgeous!

-Preston

Vaughn
9-Nov-2008, 11:06
this mine Heliar 150, tmx100

Might be due to the fact I've had no sleep, but looking at your image it seems the fog is moving. A wonderful photograph! A very dynamic balance.

Vaughn

Gary Beasley
9-Nov-2008, 11:06
I've posted this one before in a landscape or sunrise thread, forget which, but I think this is very tree oriented. It's on the northern end of Jekyll Island off the coast of Georgia where the storms are eroding the beach into the forest and taking the trees down as the saltwater kills them and erodes under them. This is at low tide, when the tides up theres no place to walk on this stretch. It's a wonderful area to shoot driftwood.
4x5 Ebony, 150mm Caltar, Portra 160NC neg film.

zoneVIII
9-Nov-2008, 12:44
thanks Vaughn, yeah that's moving clouds, this photo was taken at 2500m above sea level at mount rinjani, near bali indonesia
haryanto

JPlomley
9-Nov-2008, 16:10
Cheers for that feedback Preston. Just wish I had a better handle on how to down-rez these big scans for web display without artifacts. 140 KB is not a lot of file information and I notice a lot of detail being lost from an original file that is 500MB/16-bit.

vinny
9-Nov-2008, 17:58
A warm thank-you to all that took the time to respond.

I was about to give up LF out of frustration until I spent a weekend with Ted Harris. I am indebted to Ted for his patience and consistent encouragement over the 18 months I got to know him.

I'll post another image in honor of Ted. These Cottonwoods were recorded while hiking through the Virgin Narrows, captured with my 135 Rodenstock APO Sironar-S, a lens Ted let me try at his workshop and which I immediately went out and purchased new as soon as I saw the resulting chromes.

Cheers Ted.

~ Jeff

Nice shot. I walked through there 2 days ago and shot those same trees with my bronica. I wish I had the 8x10.

archivue
9-Nov-2008, 18:06
http://documentsdartistes.org/artistes/giancatarina/images/ca2711-1.jpg

it used to be a tree ;-)

George Hofmann
9-Nov-2008, 20:04
Here's one of some bent trees that I took 25 years ago. I wish I could remember exactly where it was taken but the best I can say is, somewhere in California. Taken with my Toyo 45A, Agfapan 100, Nikkor 135.

George

George Hofmann
9-Nov-2008, 20:11
Hoh rain forest in Washington State. Toyo 45A, Agfapan 100, Nikkor 135. This would have been better in color of course (if you like green).

George

George Hofmann
9-Nov-2008, 20:16
Coast redwoods, Northern California, in the fog. Toyo 45A, Agfapan 100, Nikkor 135.

OK I'll stop now.

George

Brian_A
9-Nov-2008, 20:18
George,

I like the second two images. Great stuff. The last I like the most. I like the fog!

-Brian

Heroique
10-Nov-2008, 00:46
Those from Seattle will recognize this scene: Lakeview Cemetery, on top the city’s Capitol Hill neighborhood.

Admirable views up here – Cascade Mountains to the East, Olympics to the West...

Big trees enjoy the views too – including this Yellow Poplar near the cemetery’s NW corner, captured in late-afternoon June sun. Most of the leaves have since turned autumn-yellow and fluttered away; naked branches now shiver under rainy skies! I should return for a winter-time follow-up. ;)

Tachi 4x5
Schneider 110mm/5.6
Fuji Quickload Tungsten-64 film (w/ 85b filter)
1/8 sec. @ f16 (w/ ISO 64)
Fully leveled camera w/ 17mm front rise

Louie Powell
10-Nov-2008, 05:31
Sutro Heights, San Francisco

Jehu
14-Nov-2008, 15:20
Autumn in Reno:

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z95/Jehu10842/LF_color/RanchoSanRafaelautumn01a.jpg
http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z95/Jehu10842/LF_color/RanchoSanRafaelautumn02a.jpg

Jim Fitzgerald
14-Nov-2008, 21:02
Even though this is an alternative process print it is still a tree!

Yosemite 2008. 8x10 carbon print.

Jim

Steve M Hostetter
14-Nov-2008, 21:56
8x10 210mm lens on chrome

Steve M Hostetter
14-Nov-2008, 21:57
wind dance on wildcat creek

tmastran
14-Nov-2008, 22:03
I've posted this one before in a landscape or sunrise thread, forget which, but I think this is very tree oriented. It's on the northern end of Jekyll Island off the coast of Georgia where the storms are eroding the beach into the forest and taking the trees down as the saltwater kills them and erodes under them. This is at low tide, when the tides up theres no place to walk on this stretch. It's a wonderful area to shoot driftwood.
4x5 Ebony, 150mm Caltar, Portra 160NC neg film.

Keep posting it! I love the mood. I feel like I've been transported to the land of the Dinosaurs.

Bryan Lemasters
22-Nov-2008, 16:16
Locust grove, Blackwater Falls State Park, WV
Deardorff 8x10, Apo-Ronar 480, Fomapan 100

walter23
23-Nov-2008, 02:52
http://www.ashphotography.ca/zenphoto/albums/cyanotypes-of-trees/small-Untitled-4.jpg

http://www.ashphotography.ca/zenphoto/albums/cyanotypes-of-trees/small-Untitled-2.jpg

http://www.ashphotography.ca/zenphoto/albums/cyanotypes-of-trees/small-Untitled-5.jpg

http://www.ashphotography.ca/zenphoto/albums/cyanotypes-of-trees/small-Untitled-1.jpg

eddie
23-Nov-2008, 13:58
craters of the moon idaho.

8x10. yellow filter. 240 schneider. some how i messed up the development with my jobo drum (hand filling, hand rolling. presoaked) and i got a development issue! the other 4 negs in the drum were not so great.......damn murphy's law to ruin the best out of 5!

Jan Pedersen
23-Nov-2008, 15:54
Eddie, that is a beautiful image. I love the overall dark tone a lot.

jan

Allen in Montreal
23-Nov-2008, 18:02
craters of the moon idaho......damn murphy's law to ruin the best out of 5!

Man I like that image, very dark, very emotional!

mcfactor
23-Nov-2008, 21:45
Here's one of mine:

Brooklyn, NY

4x5 pro160s

Greg Lockrey
24-Nov-2008, 02:44
Eddie, that is a beautiful image. I love the overall dark tone a lot.

jan

Same here. ;)

eddie
24-Nov-2008, 04:26
Thanks for all the comments! cheers

bsimison
24-Nov-2008, 05:40
Here's a very recent one from my last trip out to Anza-Borrego. Tachihara 4x5, Schneider 150mm ƒ/5.6 Symmar-S, Kodak TMY-2 EI 320, D-76 1:1.

http://www.brettsimison.com/iotw/images/BJS-20081117_4x5_01.jpg

jack_hui
27-Nov-2008, 23:10
HP5+
Horseman Woodman 45

http://www.pbase.com/jack_hui/image/106417754.jpg

ljsegil
28-Nov-2008, 04:44
Actually posted long ago, but I am still fond of it so I thought I would put it up to get kicked around again. 4x5 Technika, Velvia (100F or perhaps early new 50?), don't recall lens (actually hardly can recall much at all ever anymore) but probably Fuji A 240mm.
LJS

mealers
28-Nov-2008, 15:40
My first picture upload -
Shen Hao 4x5 with 90mm SA
Foma 100 in Rodinal
http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/765/bwio0.jpg (http://img511.imageshack.us/my.php?image=bwio0.jpg)
http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/bwio0.jpg/1/w600.png (http://g.imageshack.us/img511/bwio0.jpg/1/)

Daniel_Buck
28-Nov-2008, 16:28
mike, that's an interesting use of 'excessive movements', I like it :-)

Frank Petronio
28-Nov-2008, 17:16
You know my maturity level....

Heroique
28-Nov-2008, 17:51
Here’s a Madrona in Seattle’s Volunteer Park. It’s about 100 feet high.

I used to think the tree was sick or dying, but the peely bark & smooth-reddish wood are typical of this tree. Their colorful trunks light up in early and late sunshine. They love to grow in well-drained soil near the salt water of Puget Sound.

They often look gnarled & wind-blasted and the children love to climb them.

Toyo 45c
Schneider XL 110mm/5.6
Fuji Tungsten-64 (w/ 85b filter)
1/8 sec. @ f22
Epson 4990

Steve M Hostetter
28-Nov-2008, 18:05
Autumn shot: 8x10 210mm 5.6 @f32 4-8 sec. Roots: 4x5 250mm 5.8 Imagon wide open

Steve M Hostetter
28-Nov-2008, 18:08
8x10 210mm lens on chrome

This was shot with some Fuji Velvia I bought from Eddie

I had to slightly crop off a light leak on the left

Steve M Hostetter
28-Nov-2008, 18:20
4x5 90mm 5.6 IR

Brian Bullen
30-Nov-2008, 12:20
Not sure how I feel about these two, they're from a few years ago.

Both are 4x5 TMY
Palladium
Nikkor 135mm

Steve Gledhill
1-Dec-2008, 14:38
And a late entry from me to this fantastic long running thread ...

Spanish Moss on Live Oak - Hofwyl-Broadfield Plantation - Georgia
Looks like a skull to me - Driftwood Beach - Jekyll Island - Georgia
Waterlogged Pines - Yellowstone NP
Tulip (shaped) Pine - Holkham Pines -Norfolk - England

mcfactor
1-Dec-2008, 14:54
those are some beautiful tree prints steve!

Joe O'Hara
2-Dec-2008, 06:40
Oak/pine forest with blueberry bushes (a kind of very small tree). Velvia 50.

Allen in Montreal
2-Dec-2008, 07:50
4x5 90mm 5.6 IR

That has a very "painting more than photographic image" feel to it,
very nice.

markinwaterloo
2-Dec-2008, 08:42

Struan Gray
2-Dec-2008, 12:50
Mark: I just worked through your whole site. Really interesting work.

markinwaterloo
3-Dec-2008, 10:25
Thanks! Much appreciated!

I'm not just returning the favor- your work is excellent as well. Some very well written and insightful text as well. I'm tired of the "ideal" landscapes that are often represented in photographs (although forever tempting) and am trying to find a way to show this in pictures. Tanglings is great by the way and I'll be looking forward to seeing/reading some more stuff.

Mark

Struan Gray
3-Dec-2008, 13:35
Thanks for the complements Mark, and welcome to LF.info.

I am still a sucker for a well-done Grand Landscape, and I enjoy the frisson of the sublime as much as anyone, but it does get depressing - and oppressive - to see how little else seems to register with the world of photography. It's as if restaurants only served chocolate truffles, all day, every day.

I don't think there is, or can be, any one correct attitude to a given landscape. As a climber who lived through the trad-to-sport transition I found it fascinating to see the last vestiges of the romantic exultation of the mountains gave way to an unashamedly playground atmosphere. Many of today's outdoors enthusiasts think the traditional stance of awestruck wonder in the face of nature to be an anachronism on a par with young ladies in bonnets and corsets swooning in front of the Matterhorn - and yet their magazines and equipment brochures are full of photographs informed by exactly the attitudes they find so old-fashioned. There has to be a way to show nature, grand or otherwise, that reflects the real ways people interact with it.

I have a big stack of film waiting to be scanned which follows on from the Tanglings series. Most is 6x6, so I'm not sure how much I'll impose on this board by direct posting, but I intend to dribble new scans out onto the blog as I make sense of the themes my subconscious has gathered. I'll keep an eye on your site too.

Steve M Hostetter
3-Dec-2008, 18:46
Indiana Dunes National Lake Shore, Mt. Baldy 4x5 Sinar 90mm 5.6XL Polaroid iso 3000

nathanm
4-Dec-2008, 14:57
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3249/3007795300_7c80c5145c.jpg

sanking
4-Dec-2008, 17:15
This is a 12X18" carbon transfer print. The original negative was made near Guillin, China, in September of this year. Contact print with a digital inkjet negative.

Sandy King

EdWorkman
4-Dec-2008, 18:07
Hey Sandy
What formats did you shoot in China?
Assuming big ones, how did you haul it/them around?
regards

sanking
4-Dec-2008, 18:44
Ed,

I have made several trips to Spain with 7X17 and 12X20 formats and the logistics was very difficult. These days my traveling LF camera is a small and very light 5X7 Nagaoka.

However, on the trip to China I worked exclusively with Mamiya 7, 6X7 cm format. Hope I was not out of line in posting the image here. Since I have to scan and then print a digital negative for contact printing I really don't think of the process in terms of format since the working procedure is basically the same with either a MF or 5X7 negative. But of course the logistics of MF is much easier to deal with when traveling.

Sandy

Hey Sandy
What formats did you shoot in China?
Assuming big ones, how did you haul it/them around?
regards

Chris Dunham
4-Dec-2008, 21:00
This is a 12X18" carbon transfer print. The original negative was made near Guillin, China, in September of this year. Contact print with a digital inkjet negative.

Sandy King

Hi Sandy,

Cool print ! Could you tell us a little about the digital inkjet negative process as this looks like a path I would like to explore.

Regards,

Chris.

sanking
4-Dec-2008, 21:32
Hi Chris,

Be happy to comment.

Alternative process printers began working with digital negatives in the early to mid 1990s. One of the pioneers in this was Dan Burkholder, who wrote an early book on the subject, Making Digital Negatives for Contact Printing. Later Mark Nelson introduced his PDN method on a CD, called Precision Digital Negatives. His method allowed for some refinements for process and printer not available with Dan's methods. More recently Ron Reeder wrote a book on making digital negatives and promotes the use of QTR to control ink deposits. There is also a very nice program called ChartThrob available for free that works great.

Basically, what we do is prepare our digital file in Photoshop, as one does for making a digital print on an inkjet printer. However, before sending the file to the printer we lay down a process curve, that attempts to calibrate input values of Photoshop to output values of the process, be it silver, pt/pd or carbon. The digital negative itself is printed on a OHP (overheard transparency material) that accepts the ink (or pigmented ink) of the printer being used.

Most people use Epson printers for this (Epson 2200, 2400, 3800, 4800,etc.) but practice shows that some of the new HP and Canon printers are also capable of making good digital negatives.

You can find a lot more information about this at the hybrid forum, http://www.hybridphoto.com/forums/

Sandy King

Hi Sandy,

Cool print ! Could you tell us a little about the digital inkjet negative process as this looks like a path I would like to explore.

Regards,

Chris.

Chris Dunham
4-Dec-2008, 21:43
Hi Chris,

Be happy to comment.

Alternative process printers began working with digital negatives in the early to mid 1990s. One of the pioneers in this was Dan Burkholder, who wrote an early book on the subject, Making Digital Negatives for Contact Printing. Later Mark Nelson introduced his PDN method on a CD, called Precision Digital Negatives. His method allowed for some refinements for process and printer not available with Dan's methods. More recently Ron Reeder wrote a book on making digital negatives and promotes the use of QTR to control ink deposits. There is also a very nice program called ChartThrob available for free that works great.

Basically, what we do is prepare our digital file in Photoshop, as one does for making a digital print on an inkjet printer. However, before sending the file to the printer we lay down a process curve, that attempts to calibrate input values of Photoshop to output values of the process, be it silver, pt/pd or carbon. The digital negative itself is printed on a OHP (overheard transparency material) that accepts the ink (or pigmented ink) of the printer being used.

Most people use Epson printers for this (Epson 2200, 2400, 3800, 4800,etc.) but practice shows that some of the new HP and Canon printers are also capable of making good digital negatives.

You can find a lot more information about this at the hybrid forum, http://www.hybridphoto.com/forums/

Sandy King

Sandy,

Fantastic, many thanks for the info - I'm off to try it out.

Regards,

Chris.

sanking
4-Dec-2008, 22:16
You are very welcome.

BTW, if you want to dive right into an alternative process, say carbon or kallitype, I have some documentation on line.

See

http://www.alternativephotography.com/articles/art110.html

http://www.alternativephotography.com/process_kallitype.html

Regards,

Sandy

Sandy,

Fantastic, many thanks for the info - I'm off to try it out.

Regards,

Chris.

Chris Dunham
4-Dec-2008, 22:34
You are very welcome.

BTW, if you want to dive right into an alternative process, say carbon or kallitype, I have some documentation on line.

See

http://www.alternativephotography.com/articles/art110.html

http://www.alternativephotography.com/process_kallitype.html

Regards,

Sandy

Cool, there's my reading for tonight.

If there was one text/book/CD that you would recommend as being the current definitive text or at least your preference which one would it be?

Regards,

Chris.

sanking
4-Dec-2008, 22:55
Chris,

I could not recommend a single text as the definitive source. All of the sources that I mentioned earlier are useful, but the target of best opportunity is constantly moving.

ChartThrob, for example, is very easy to use, but you will understand better how to use it if you have read Burkholder and Mark Nelson.

BTW, on the alternative photography site there are some good articles on making digital negatives. They may not answer all your questions, but you can learn a lot from them.

Sandy

Cool, there's my reading for tonight.

If there was one text/book/CD that you would recommend as being the current definitive text or at least your preference which one would it be?

Regards,

Chris.

robert fallis
5-Dec-2008, 11:56
I couldn't afford a full tree will this one do?

bob

Robert Brummitt
5-Dec-2008, 12:14
How about these two images of mine?
One is recent trip to Jacksonville, Oregon. A trail that runs along the Odd-Fellow Cemetery.
The other is the by product of trees.

robert fallis
6-Dec-2008, 08:02
I like them, the one with the leaves is great

bob

EdWorkman
6-Dec-2008, 08:51
Thanks for the reply Sandy- I've been asleep in the interim.
No problem about MF at all. I carried a Pentax 6x7 outfit with xtra bodies and a G617 to inner Mongolia in 2004, but our party had a van between trains, so the airplanes were the only hassle. But that's still a lot less volume than ULF, so please accept my salute.
regards
Ed

Steve M Hostetter
6-Dec-2008, 18:08
8x10 out-dated 4127

Jehu
8-Dec-2008, 11:42
I hope I didn't break the rules. This is from medium format:

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z95/Jehu10842/Andi/1Tahoeclearcreek-1.jpg

nathanm
8-Dec-2008, 11:48
Just don't admit it Jehu, then nobody will know! Unfortunately, we will have to tar and feather you now. :p

Steve M Hostetter
12-Dec-2008, 15:32
8x10" 165mm @f32 several sec.

drew.saunders
12-Dec-2008, 16:33
Fallen tree near Bridalveil falls, Yosemite:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3134/3099916768_9452a8fdc7.jpg

Either
A: I intended to make it mysterious and moody or
B: I completely buggered the exposure and am impressed by how much detail my M1 squeezed out of the very thin negative.

Drew

Jiri Vasina
20-Dec-2008, 14:20
I still don't have much free time, but almost 6 weeks after the birth of my son, it's getting marginally better. This one was shot in October this year...

http://www.vasina.net/wp-content/gallery/podzim/p5x8-031web.jpg

Chamonix 5&#215;8", Schneider Xenar 210mm, 5&#215;8" Adox CHS 25, Rodinal.

Nick Kanellos
20-Dec-2008, 15:58
OK... I finally figured out how to embed pics.

http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v1894/208/69/708507171/n708507171_1627863_1343.jpg

Forgive my digital capture "workflow" which consists of propping the photograph onto my freezer, pointing some halogen track lights at it, and photographing it. This print really works best in 16x20 or larger.

Jiri Vasina
30-Dec-2008, 00:37
http://www.vasina.net/wp-content/gallery/podzim/p13x18-169_web.jpg
Autumn magic

Chamonix 5&#215;8", Schneider Repro-Claron 305mm, 13&#215;18cm, Fomapan 100, Rodinal.

h2oman
6-Feb-2009, 21:45
Sinaron 150, velvia converted to B&W

http://www.greggwaterman.com/refuge_tree_small.jpg

Robert Brummitt
7-Feb-2009, 08:51
Here is my entry.

Nana Sousa Dias
8-Feb-2009, 04:25
Don't get me started, all I've got is trees.

Fantastic shots!

Nana Sousa Dias
8-Feb-2009, 04:33
Rodenstock 360mm, 1/125th at F6.8, a bit of front tilt
http://www.buckshotsblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/charmlee_8x10_01.jpg

Great!

Nana Sousa Dias
8-Feb-2009, 04:35
Magdaleine (l'hiver)

Sur le chemin de St Jacques de Compostelle.

The image is great but, on my monitor, it seems a bit dull.

Nana Sousa Dias
8-Feb-2009, 04:43
many many many nice images...
humbly putting a couple here...

I like very much the third one.