PDA

View Full Version : 90mm Angulon vs Super Angulon

Brian Schall
20-Jan-2008, 14:42
I have a 90mm f8 Super Angulon in a Compur 00 shutter. A real pain to use. I'm looking at a 90mm f6.8 Angulon that is in a Copal 0 shutter. Obviously reshuttered at
some time in it's life.

Does anyone know if I should be able to just screw in my SA elements in place of the Angulon elements? If so, will the aperture scale from F8 onwards still be correct for the SA?

If so, then I hope I can put the Angulon elements back in the Compur 00 and resell it.

Thanks. Brian

Ole Tjugen
20-Jan-2008, 14:47
00 and 0 are two completely different shutter sizes. They will NOT fit.

I use both a 90/8 SA in Compur 00 and a 90/6.8 angulon in Compur 0. They both have their strengths and weaknesses, and I wouldn't consider one a replacement for the other.

Brian Schall
20-Jan-2008, 19:40
Ole

I know the shutters are completely different. What I want to know is if the threads on the elements of the angulon and SA are the same diameter. I'm very happy with my SA, just not happy with the little 00 shutter. The Angulon is not in it's original shutter. Just want to swap shutters if the threads are the same.

Jay Wolfe
20-Jan-2008, 19:54
I think Ole answered your question, but if you cannot accept it, why not just try it!

Brian Schall
20-Jan-2008, 20:12
I think Ole answered your question, but if you cannot accept it, why not just try it!

Because I'm in New Mexico and the Angulon is in Nebraska. If I could try it I would.

Gene McCluney
20-Jan-2008, 21:33
The threads of the elements of the 2 lenses will not interchange, as the threads of the lens that is now mounted in the 00 shutter would be smaller. Super-Angulons have been made for many years, and after a while they went to a larger shutter, and it is not difficult to find a whole lens/shutter combination with the larger shutter for a reasonable price. You could find one, then sell your older 00 version and not have to pay much difference.

Brian Schall
20-Jan-2008, 21:41
Gene

Thank you. You answered my question. Buying another SA in a Copal 0 and selling my current one is probably the best way to go.

mrladewig
20-Jan-2008, 23:43
Not only are the #00 shutters threaded smaller than a #0, but the spacing between the front and rear elements is closer in a #00 than a #0. As a result, I don't believe a #00 lens can be mounted into a #0 shutter even if you could get a thread adapter made because you could not get the elements spaced correctly.

I think if I were buying a lens I would always choose the #0 over the #00 version if there was a choice, but that doesn't mean that the #00 can't do the job.

Gene McCluney
21-Jan-2008, 01:08
I think if I were buying a lens I would always choose the #0 over the #00 version if there was a choice, but that doesn't mean that the #00 can't do the job.

The only lens I have in an 00 is a 65mm Super Angulon, and that shutter does not have a "focus" lever, so to open up the lens for focusing requires setting the shutter for time, and using a locking cable release, which is somewhat of a pain.

Ole Tjugen
21-Jan-2008, 01:22
Since the 00 shutter is such a fiddly littie thing, and deeply buried behind the front cell of the 90/8 SA, it's just as well it doesn't have a focus lever. I keep a short locking cable release on mine at all times anyway.