PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know which RRS QR plate for an Ebony SW45?

newmoon2night
19-Jan-2008, 02:06
I haven't questioned Really Right Stuff yet, but looking in their catalogue, they list their plate B22 for the Ebony 45SU, 23S, 45STi and RSW45. Or a B75 for the RW45, etc.
The SW45 is a non folding camera, and probably closest to an RSW45 (which I think is a custom model made specifically for Robert Whites in the UK).
Has anyone on here got a RRS QR plate and an SW45, and if so which QR plate do you use?
Of course the alternative is to use a plain old non custom QR plate!

Jay Wolfe
19-Jan-2008, 06:03
If your camera has only one mounting hole, any flat plate will work. I would get a smallish one. If your camera has two mounting holes, I would get a plate that would span both holes. The generic plates are fine. I have several and they function no differently that RRS, Kirk, or real Arca plates, except perhaps where they are painted and not anodized. The paint tents to wear off.

Jeff Keller
19-Jan-2008, 17:18
It looks like you could just measure the distance from the center of the tripod mounting hole to the edge of the camera bed which the lip of the plate would be positioned against. The only difference between the plates RRS recommends is the length.

The lever clamp quick release is sensitive to the width of the plate. I've found the generic plates I have were too wide, a Kirk plate was too narrow, and even one of the RRS plates was too narrow. It would probably be safest to stick to RRS. It took me a long time to switch to the lever release, but I'm glad I did.

Good luck.

Nicholas Fiduccia
28-Jan-2008, 23:10
I have a brand new B29 plate that I purchased from RRS in 2005 for a Ebony 45S. It has never been used as I ended up buying a different camera. If you are interested, just contact me.

Aender Brepsom
29-Nov-2008, 06:00
Rather late for an update, but other members might ask the same question some day.

The base plate of the SW45 is exactly the same as on the 23S, so the RRS B22 plate is the one that fits best, as it has an anti-twist lip on one side.