PDA

View Full Version : ANSI standards for filmholders?

Michael_527
8-Dec-2000, 17:16
Hello all,

I am intrested in finding out if there are ANSI standards for banquet format fil mholders. Specificly 7x17.

I did some searches on the ANSI.ORG site, which linked to another site for order ing, but the only listings that I saw were for radiographic film holders, which are a bit different, and anyway, not available in 7x17 format.

Does anyone out there have the dimensional requirements for a 7x17 holder, per A NSI?

Thanks,

Michael_527
8-Dec-2000, 17:30
Further search on through the links reveals this ANSI document.

ANSI/PIMA IT3.108-1998 Photography (Accessories) - Double Film Holders of the Lock-Rib Type - Dimensions (revision and redesignation of ANSI PH3.108-1988)

Does anyone know if this is going to cover a 7x17 holder? For $21.00, I'm not intrested in buying this only to have it not cover. Ultimately, I just want to be able to check some holders, etc. to a standard, not build any, so a few simple dimensions will do me.

Thanks,

Carl Weese
8-Dec-2000, 18:17
Banquet camera holders aren't standardised like 4x5, 8x10, etc. You can't use Korona holders in a Folmer & Schwing, for example. Best bet would be to take accurate measurements from an existing holder, and bear in mind they may be different for another camera.---Carl

Michael_527
8-Dec-2000, 18:27
Carl,

That what I thought, but I was just told by a representative from Lotus that their holders meet the ANSI specs. I am trying to figure out what that means.

I'll post some information on this once I've gotten it figured out. In the meantime, if anyone has any specific ANSI information that relates to this, I would appreciate an email.

Thanks,

Geoffrey_1456
8-Dec-2000, 20:18
Do folks at Lotus use ISO, instead of ANSI? I know NIST in Gaithersburg, MD issues standards for film holders used in medical products, not in general photography. I suggest you email Kerik Kouklis. He teaches 7x17 format photography (http://www.anseladams.com/workshops/feb.html).

Julio Fernandez
10-Dec-2000, 23:51
Michael: Different ANSI standards apply to different film size formats. On 4X5, the ISO and ANSI standards differ -from memory, in the 4th decimal place. What is important here is not so much the difference but the fact that the two are not precisely the same, and that the difference between the two is what Sinar allows for film curl (on 4X5). As for 7X17, I think it is possible but most unlikely that there are any standards, since standards are about standard things and this, is by definition is non-standard format. Ultimately the standard is of no consequence whatsoever, as long as the ground glass for your camera can be adjusted to exactly the depth of the film holders. If the two do not agree you have a problem if your camera's GG is not adjustable. PS: testing a 7X17 holder depth I would guess not to be a piece of cake; you will need a FLAT perforated aluminum plate somewhat larger, ground to less than 0.001".