PDA

View Full Version : Gulf of Mexico Book Opportunity

Kirk Gittings
15-Jan-2008, 14:51
Peter Duthie, an old friend who used to own a gallery that I showed in 30 years ago, is looking for a photographer. Peter is a first rate professional and this is a real opportunity:

Attention: Serious Photographers

Hello,

I am currently looking for photographers who have photographed around the Gulf of Mexico – preferably near Louisiana and Mississippi, but we’re open to a mix of geographical locations – for a photographic book of black and white imagery to be released at the end of 2008 by Scotia Waterous, a leading oil & gas related financial house based in Calgary, Canada.

This will be our 15th book. Since 1994, we have produced a book of photography focusing each year on the work of a photographer from a specific geographical region. We just launched Nwentoma: Visual Notes from West Africa by Olivier Asselin in December. Previous books have featured numerous areas of Canada, the United States, Argentina, Britain, and Indonesia.

These books—beautifully designed and printed with state-of-the-art tri-tones—are distributed internationally. Typically, they contain 45-55 black and white photographs that illustrate life in the selected region in a positive way. Images range from landscapes and details to portraits. But this is a guideline; we hope to discover new work and new sensibilities in black and white photography.

By publishing these books, we can help build an awareness and audience for the work of serious photographers. The photographers are compensated in a number of ways – cash, copies of the book, print sales, paid travel to and from and accommodation during book launches in Houston and Calgary—and the photographers are not expected to make any financial investment in the project.

Using the internet is only one way I network through the global photographic community. I understand why many would question this opportunity. Frank Armstrong, an American photographer I contacted first through e-mail, stopped me in mid-sentence and asked “Am I dreaming, or are you an angel?” His work was featured in our 8th book, Rocks, River & Thorn: The Big Bend of the Rio Grande.

If you are interested in showing us your work or know of an excellent photographer who could benefit from this program, please contact me immediately. I hope to begin production on the 2008 book by late winter or early spring.

Best wishes,

Peter Duthie
Folio Gallery Inc.
Calgary, Alberta
(403) 243-9796
peterduthie@telusplanet.net

Allen Rumme
15-Jan-2008, 17:06
This indeed is the real deal. I know Armstrong, and I well remember the day he called and said "you aren't going to believe the phone conversation that I just had.....". The resulting book was terrific.

If any of you qualify, go for it!!!!!!!!!!

davidb
15-Jan-2008, 17:13
Sam Portera better do this !!!

Allen Rumme
15-Jan-2008, 17:25
Sam Portera better do this !!!

My thoughts exactly!!!!

Kirk Gittings
15-Jan-2008, 18:39
I'm hoping one of these days that Peter has a project that my images work well with.......

Allen Rumme
15-Jan-2008, 19:00
I'm hoping one of these days that Peter has a project that my images work well with.......

More than a few of us harbor a similar hope.......

David Karp
15-Jan-2008, 21:29
Ed Richards?

Jon Denker
17-Jan-2008, 01:11
Kirk, would you please email me at capsfoto@hotmail.com. I would like to discuss book material with you.
Best