PDA

View Full Version : just purcahsed a wisner technical 4x5 ?

thetooth
14-Jan-2008, 16:25
hello

i just purchased a wisner technical camera and was looking for some tips , on camera movement , handling the camera ( is it alright to leave the camera on the tripod and just carry the tripod around over your shoulder ) , and maybe any kind of maintenance you might do .

also i recently bought a rodenstock grandagon 90mm 6.8 and a fujinon 250mm 6.3 . i bought both of these for $500.00 in great shape , but i would like to find a 135-mm or a 150-mm and would like some suggestions ( i would like to keep it under $400.00 so i know i am buying used )

i moved up from a graflex so i am really looking forward to using this new equipment .

thanks in advanced

Capocheny
14-Jan-2008, 20:16
My first bit of advice is to pick up some good books on the subject. Look for the Steve Simmons book, or Jack Dykinga's, or Jim Stone's... they're all very good.

Secondly, if you want to carry the camera mounted on to the pod over your shoulder... make sure it's attached well. Consider the Arca Swiss or the Really-Right-Stuff gear.

In regards to your lens question... consider the Rodenstock 150 Apo-Sironar S. The Nikon 150 is also a nice piece of glass and quite reasonably priced.

Lastly, if you need repairs on the camera... contact Richard Ritter.

Good luck... LF is great fun!

Cheers

phil sweeney
15-Jan-2008, 03:58
Make sure that lens board is tight or better still take it out when walking with the camera on a tripod! I pulled up the sliding top retainer once after having the dark cloth on top of the camera and out goes the lens - right into the soft snow.

MIke Sherck
15-Jan-2008, 06:59
If you screw the camera to the tripod then carrying it on the tripod will be fine (check it occasionally to make sure the screw isn't working loose.) If you're using a quick release attachment then I wouldn't feel comfortable carrying it mounted.

Mike

Carlos R Herrera
15-Jan-2008, 08:10
If you screw the camera to the tripod then carrying it on the tripod will be fine (check it occasionally to make sure the screw isn't working loose.) If you're using a quick release attachment then I wouldn't feel comfortable carrying it mounted.

Mike

An Arca-style head with RRS or Kirkphoto plates inspire confidence. To worries there. Mount it on a head and drive on. http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/index.html

I would suggest a little practice opening and closing the camera for new owners. A lot of Wisners have scuffed bellows for a reason no matter what format.

CH

RPNugent
15-Jan-2008, 10:24
I second two comments here.

Don't walk around with a lens attached, the catch for the lensboard can't be trusted. Be very careful if leaning the camera down for a shot for the same reason.

Practice opening and closing or your bellows will be worn quickly. Loosen all the focussing knobs and the front standard knobs to open and close or it won't slide freely and the bellows will rub. It becomes second nature after about 10 tries.

I found lenses shorter than 90mm nearly impossible to use so sold mine for a TK45.

Jay W
15-Jan-2008, 11:26
From my experience, I'd pack up the camera unless you know you're taking another shot close by. For the 90 you'll want to find a wide angle bellows unless you shoot without movement. Folding the camera and replacing the bellows seems like a hassle until you get used to it just being part of the process.

Jay

thetooth
15-Jan-2008, 14:53
thanks for all your help and tips . camera arrived today and looks great.

i see what you mean about opening the camera , the bellows want to catch the front standards .

also i will heed the lens warning the camera came with a copal #0 board and the board does have some slop in the frame .

i think i will definitely have to find the bag bellows , these bellows are about compressed out with the 90-mm .

thanks

Jim Ewins
17-Jan-2008, 20:09
A piece of gaffer's tape on the lens board latch helps. I also lost a lens while transporting.

dpetersen
17-Jan-2008, 20:21
Richard Ritter offers a modification for the lensboard latch that improves the stability and safety a lot. The screws kept backing out of mine making the lensboard really loose. Never did drop the lens but I came close a couple of times. Richard's fix is quick and inexpensive.

DP