PDA

View Full Version : Jock sturges: how are his images printed ?

tao
8-Dec-2000, 04:00
I looked through some Jock Sturges's B&W work in the bookstore. They don't look like silver to me, because they seem to be of lower contrast with light green(?) color. Are the platinum prints? If they are normal B&W prints, how can you get image like that? Of course his photos are much more than just techniques.Thanks.

Christian Nze
8-Dec-2000, 08:34
hello wu

I see some original of Sturge months ago in an french gallery and I just can say that it is silver print. Idon't know which paper and develloper he use so I can't help you on the technique.

nze christian

James Meckley
8-Dec-2000, 11:26
Jock Sturges works with 8x10 negatives and prints onto silver papers. His favorite paper used to be one of the (very slow) Oriental Seagull warmtone FB papers (NLA). "Warm brownish-green" describes the color of this paper pretty well, prior to toning. I don't know which paper he uses presently.

Remember that when you see photographs reproduced in a book you are not seeing the image color of the original silver print, but rather the color of the inks that the printer used in making the book. The color in the book may be a close approximation of the original image color, or it may be something else entirely, for any number of reasons.

James Meckley

Brian Legere
8-Dec-2000, 22:58
Sturges is a master. I saw an exhibit of his work in the Steven Bulgar Gallery in Toronto.His prints are among the best I have seen.I cannot recall if they are 8x10 silver or platinum.

Frank Ward
13-Dec-2000, 15:09
I was at AIPAD in NYC last year and had an opportunity to see several Sturges prints from the same negative displayed in different galleries. I was amazed at how different each print looked. You could really see where he decided to dodge or burn in some instances. Some were better than others, but all of them were very good.