PDA

View Full Version : portrit shuttered lens for 8x10"

jasonikon
14-Jan-2008, 12:20
hey guys. Anyone have a half decent shuttered lens (standard to medium portrait) to cover 8x10? Just putting my toe in the water here, Thanks Jasonikon

Gene McCluney
14-Jan-2008, 14:46
If you are in a "studio" type space and you use studio flash, you don't need much of a shutter...just a Packard behind-the-lens shutter with a flash sync. With this arrangement you can use all the classic Portrait lenses that everyone loves. If not, and you want to do portraits outside, etc., then any one of the common large-format lenses of 14" (375mm) or longer should work if you have enough bellows draw on your camera. For head and shoulder portraits on 8x10 I personally prefer a lens focal length of 17 to 19 inches, but you need a camera with lots of bellows, as did the traditional "studio" portrait cameras of yesteryear.

jasonikon
14-Jan-2008, 14:55
That a very interesting response. I was given an 8" compur leaf shutter lens by a TA at my university and I 'mounted' it on my very old 10x12" full plate camera (and i mean old!) It covers the entire viewing glass. I do have a 14" lens but it is just an iris wit no shutter. Is an 8" lens totally useless for 10x8 format? (I use 8x10 film in the slides). I dont know what you mean by the Packard thing....how would I get hold of and use this?

Many Thanks

Jason

Gene McCluney
14-Jan-2008, 15:04
That a very interesting response. I was given an 8" compur leaf shutter lens by a TA at my university and I 'mounted' it on my very old 10x12" full plate camera (and i mean old!) It covers the entire viewing glass. I do have a 14" lens but it is just an iris wit no shutter. Is an 8" lens totally useless for 10x8 format? (I use 8x10 film in the slides). I dont know what you mean by the Packard thing....how would I get hold of and use this?

Many Thanks

Jason

There are hundreds of threads on Packard shutters. Do a search on this and other forums. Basically a Packard shutter is a flat rectangular shutter with a circle opening in the middle that is mounted on the back side of your lensboard, allowing you to mount any non-shuttered lens on the front side of the lensboard. The Packard is fired with a rubber tube and a squeeze bulb. The rubber tube/hose goes thru a hole in the lensboard and attaches to the shutter. These shutters were made with flash electrical contacts. The wires for this are routed out thru another small hole in the lensboard and a suitable plug is soldered to the ends of the wires, which attaches to your flash sync cord. Most of the classic "portrait" lenses of the last 100 years did not come in shutters, thus requiring you to use a "Packard" style shutter.

My choice for a minimum of a 14" (375mm) lens is one of giving pleasing perspective for head and shoulders portraits. If you use a wider-angle lens such as the 8" lens you have which you determined would cover the 8x10 format, you will get a "wide-angle" look to your portraits, which can be quite comical, but not flattering to most people. Think Big nose and little ears.

Your 8" lens, if it will cover 8x10 at infinity focus, would be a good lens to use for outdoor scenics. Wide open spaces.

jasonikon
14-Jan-2008, 15:13
Many thanks for your very informative response. I will definitely look into your suggestions. I know about wide angles, just wasnt sure how this translated into larger formats....i know the standard lenses increase proportionately. Anyway, many, many thanks for your helpful replies.

Jason

Jim Galli
14-Jan-2008, 15:26
Jason, I have a lovely old Gundlach 305mm Radar Anastigmat in Betax 5 shutter that is a pleasure to use. A smoooooth / sharp wide open and as sharp as any 1940's lens stopped down a bit. It has kind of a Buick staight 8 quality in the prints. Pics if any interest at $325

jasonikon
14-Jan-2008, 15:41
Many Thanks for that. I will think about your offer....lovely site by the way...its just another level isnt it? like old Edward Weston stuff....just beautifu.l