PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a tripod head

Michael Graves
12-Jan-2008, 11:37
I just got back from a short walk with my lovely wife. I had my Berlebach 3032 with a Gitzo R3 head and she a Berleback 2024 with a Bogen head with the octagonal quick release. Several times she complained about that head. The QR plates are too big....the plate doesn't lock solidly into the head and it jiggles while she's shooting. I couldn't detect any jiggling, but I'm too old and wise to argue with the better half. If she says it jiggles, it jiggles. But imagine the trouble I got into the last time I pointed out something that jiggled.

So my question is this...what kind of tripod head can I get for her that has a QR plate that doesn't stick out from the camera so far and mounts solidly onto the tripod head. It's gotta be a pan tilt. She hates ball heads.

lenser
12-Jan-2008, 11:49
I'm not fond of the hex plates either. Can't ever seem to get them tight enough on the camera so it keeps slipping one way or the other.

My favorite is the Bogen/Manfrotto 410. I use it on a Gitzo Studex and love the rectangular plate (tightened with a coin so it's really secure) and the best part is the micrometer adjustments in all three directions. It has coarse and fine movements for extremely fine positioning plus I get almost no "jiggle" out of it. It is also great for medium format and 35mm.

I have absolutely nothing bad to say about it.

Tim

Joanna Carter
12-Jan-2008, 17:00
I would totally agree with the Manfrotto 410. I have one on a Gitzo GT2530LVL, what a superb combination. Like lenser, I find the vernier/fast adjustment options in three planes to be totally indispensable.

Mike Herring
12-Jan-2008, 18:18
The Manfrotto is without question, the best head I have ever used. I use it with my Arca-Swiss Monolith, Linhof Technikardan 45S, Wista SP, and Canon 1DMKII. The geared movements are the best compromise. Ball heads may be very durable and rigid and yet they are NOT precise.
I have had too many to admit......this is the way to go!
Take care,
Mike

lenser
12-Jan-2008, 19:09
Although it's not made for it, I've even used this head with an old 8x10 Ansco Wooden flat bed (about the size of an Eastman 2D) and a heavy lens with no problems. (Manfrotto makes a heavier version for 8x10 and larger.)

The 410 is a thing of beauty for 4x5 and smaller.

Your wife will love it and I bet you'll grab one for yourself almost immediately.

Enjoy.

Tim

Michael Graves
12-Jan-2008, 19:33
Sounds like the one to shop around for. Thanks for all the help. It's easier when the opinion is unanimous.

Henry Ambrose
12-Jan-2008, 20:11
Is this the head you got from me?

If so just tell her to push closed the QR latch when she mounts the camera. Then it fits nice and snug with no wiggle or jiggle. That's how these work, I've had several and use one now.

Or you could listen to her and be lots better off than listening to anything I say.

<grin>

Michael Graves
12-Jan-2008, 21:09
Maybe that's what's happening. Like I said. I've used it a few times and I didn't have any problems with it. Worked great. My biggest problem is Coordination Deficiency Syndrome. Lining it up challenges my limited dexterity. But that would be the case whatever I got. I will suggest that to her. Thanks, Henry.

Is this the head you got from me?

If so just tell her to push closed the QR latch when she mounts the camera. Then it fits nice and snug with no wiggle or jiggle. That's how these work, I've had several and use one now.

Or you could listen to her and be lots better off than listening to anything I say.

<grin>

Michael Nagl
14-Jan-2008, 13:43
I have the Manfrotto 410, too, and on days without wind I mount the Wehman on it, and that works. Sadly, even a big tripod feels twice as heavy with that head.

Ron Bose
14-Jan-2008, 14:20
The Arca Swiss clamp systems are the only QR systems I'd use. It's about time that Manfrotto/Bogen redesigned those hex-plates, no ?

Peter De Smidt
14-Jan-2008, 16:35
Get a Really Right Stuff Arca-style quick release plate and a head that uses them. Arca heads are really nice, as are the Really Right Stuff ones. You could also get an add on Arca quick release clamp. Really Right Stuff, Kirk, and perhaps others make them. They really are the nicest quick release plates I've ever seen. They are made specifically for your camera, and they don't spin a bit. Plus they're light and add very little bulk to the camera.

mrladewig
15-Jan-2008, 10:04
Directly addressing your wife's problem in regards to the plate not holding tight in the head.

The arca-swiss plate system does seem to offer more secure options to address this problem. The dovetail design seems to attach to the head more securely than the various manfrotto flip levers I've seen and used. While the manfrotto system does have a release lock to keep you from accidentally dumping your gear, it doesn't have positive lock beyond its spring tension and cam. The down side to the arca-swiss format is that clamps that have a screw lock can be a bit of a pain to work with under the camera bed. But the screw locks give you more choices for plate suppliers than the flip lock clamps.

lenser
15-Jan-2008, 12:29
I've got to totally agree with Ron about the need for redesign on the Bogen/Manfroto hex plates. The rectangular plates for the 410 head have that wonderful slotted screw head for tightening thoroughly with a heavy coin.

The hex heads rely on finger tightening and my poor fingers just slip around the enameled circular keeper wheel when trying to get these to snug down.

Why can't they figure out a wheel with ears that you can push against to really get these things down tight or, at least eliminate the heavy slick enamel and give us a properly knurled (machined, not cast) wheel that you can get a grip on?

Anyone from Manfrotto listening?

seawolf66
15-Jan-2008, 14:45
Have her look at the Gitzo G1276M I will not get another type ever for my outside tripod!