PDA

View Full Version : A word of warning.....

Michael Graves
12-Jan-2008, 07:23
There is a listing for some Riteway 4x5 film holders on ebay with photos of these nearly new pristine holders. It is exactly the same listing I won over a week ago. Instead of getting the pretty holders that look nearly new....no writing in the panels, completely unmarked hoders....you know the story....

The ones I got were trashed. I can live with the magic marker in the note panels, but the shot tape, cracked dark slides and loose joints were completely unacceptable. The seller responded that he didn't see the point in replacing the ones I have because all the others are as bad or worse then the ones he sent me. In his defense, he's offering a refund (less the fifteen bucks he gouged me for shipping, of course). However, if any of you folks are bidding on the holders listed by greatstuff_2954 on listing http://cgi.ebay.com/LARGE-FORMAT-4X5-RITEWAY-FILM-HOLDERS-GROUP-OF-5_W0QQitemZ230210480258QQihZ013QQcategoryZ29979QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem, you might want to reconsider. These are restoration projects, not users.

Marko
12-Jan-2008, 09:26
Slap him with negative feedback. He's got 100% at 52, that ought to hurt.

Michael Graves
12-Jan-2008, 09:32
In this case, I don't think negative is approriate, because he is at least taking them back. Neutral is in order. Just wanted to prevent one of you guys from getting involved with this seller.

BradS
12-Jan-2008, 09:39
Michael, Thank you for the heads up. I'm very glad I saw it this morning before I started browsing the auction site...THANKS!

Matt Blaze
12-Jan-2008, 14:40
If the items aren't what was advertised, you should get a full refund, including shipping. Period. If he offers less than that, such as a refund minus shipping, I'd take it up with paypal or the credit card company and have the charge removed from your bill.

I think your eating the shipping charges and leaving "neutral" feedback is being WAY too nice to someone who is basically trying to rip you off. Assuming you paid with a credit card, you have the upper hand here, but not if you don't exercise your rights.

Dick Hilker
12-Jan-2008, 14:48
I agree completely with Matt: if he'd made an honest mistake, that might warrant leniency, but he clearly intended to deceive potential buyers by misrepresenting the item.

CG
12-Jan-2008, 15:00
Sellers who describe a piece of garbage as excellent deserve condemnation. I've had that happen to me and I was very unhappy.

But in this case, the seller went so far as to use a picture of holders in excellent condition but sent ugly ones instead. That bothers me even more than a bit of a verbal slip. I guess it's now sorta fixed other than the shipping fees, but I think it's a good practice to deliver a GOOD surprise to the buyer.

C

Dave Parker
12-Jan-2008, 15:31
Michael,

I have to say, I got to go with Matt, Dick and CG on this one, he used a picture that was not a true description of the product you purchased, you are giving him far more benefit of the doubt than I would, you should get your shipping back as well as the cost to ship them back to him, it is a pretty blatant case of mis-representation!

Dave

Turner Reich
12-Jan-2008, 19:22
After looking at what he posted as pictures and what you said you got, I would have to give him the benefit of a negative in all categories.

Henry Ambrose
12-Jan-2008, 20:13
In some places they still call this lying.