PDA

View Full Version : How to secure flash to a Speed Graphic?

Rider
11-Jan-2008, 13:56
Talking about a normal, modern flash here. Any ideas on how to secure it to a Speed Graphic?

Steve Feldman
11-Jan-2008, 14:08
Rider,

On my Crown Graphic I have a Vivitar 5900 flash head on a Vivitar flash handle, using the large bottom plate of the handle attached to the camera body bottom screw. Bulky, but it works.

Kevin Crisp
11-Jan-2008, 15:39
Order product #45103 from Porter's Cameras. It costs $9.99. Carefully pick where you want the hole for the screw through the top of the camera to hold it on (I'm hoping your rangefinder is on the side) and you can mount it on the top, secured from below. Be careful drilling to avoid the bellows. Paint it black and you barely know it is there until you need it.

kmack
11-Jan-2008, 16:18
I use an old Sunpak 555. I rotated the flash so it mounts to the left, over the leather handle, I can wrap my hand around the flash and grasp the leather at the same time.
Heavy, bulky but works,

David A. Goldfarb
11-Jan-2008, 16:38
On my Linhof Tech V, I use a simple Norman flash bracket to put the flash head over the lens axis. I had to drill an extra hole in the bar that supports the flash to get it centered. This should work as well with a Graphic. Stratos makes brackets that look like they should work with a press camera as well.

BradS
11-Jan-2008, 20:00
Order product #45103 from Porter's Cameras. It costs $9.99. Carefully pick where you want the hole for the screw through the top of the camera to hold it on (I'm hoping your rangefinder is on the side) and you can mount it on the top, secured from below. Be careful drilling to avoid the bellows. Paint it black and you barely know it is there until you need it.

I think you probably meant Item #450103 (http://tinyurl.com/22fyzt) from Porter's camera.

I've also used item #130496 (http://tinyurl.com/25uuu2) for this exact purpose.

Wayne Crider
12-Jan-2008, 07:04
I actually made a flash bracket for my Crown using an old leg off a tripod, turning it upside down and bolting a cheap flash bracket to the extended bolt on the bottom of the leg. I attach the flash to the bracket. I used the original Graphic flash clamps and attached the leg to the body as usual. It extends and makes for a nice handle as well. Pic's available; I may sell it.

Rider
12-Jan-2008, 07:12
Your suggestions got me thinking a little bit. After searching through my existing arsenal of connectors, I was able to mount to flash to the existing tripod mounting whole on the left side of the camera, by using a small inverted tripod head. Since taking this picture, I've refined it a bit and now it works even better. It even helps to support the camera when shooting handheld!

65Galaxie
12-Jan-2008, 19:35
I found some original quickrelease clamps at a photo store and made a bracket out of a 1.5 inch chrome drain pipe with washers top and bottome with a 1/4inch allthread going through it and attached to a hotshoe at the top to hold the flash. Sold it on ebay for $25.00 recently. I had it advertised here but nobody inquired about it.