PDA

View Full Version : 4x10 film in 8x10 holders

prado333
11-Jan-2008, 13:30
After a long search i saw a great idea , in 8x10 film holders a guy make two lateral modifications to accept 4x10 film , i think it would be a great idea construct several of these , due the fact that if you have a 8x10 camera you donīt need any special back and
it is easy and cheap to make a mask for the ground glass. anyone know which will be the minimum order to make this holders from fidelity or lisco or if any maker is interested in make this holders?
comments are welcome
all the best

prado333
11-Jan-2008, 13:45
it could be too something like the sinarsix 8x10 adapter. ideas are welcome.

Peter K
11-Jan-2008, 15:07
When you cut from an extra dark-slide a window 4x10", you can exposure two images 4x10" on one 8x10" sheet. With the first exposure, the filmholder is inserted in the camera from the right side. Remove the normal dark-slide an insert the special one. Exposure the image, remove the special dark-slide and insert the normal one. Than turn the camera back 180° and shift it to aligne the center of the marked ground-glass and insert the filmholder from the left side and exposure the second image. With this methode there is no need to cut films and to construct special filmholders.

Peter K

prado333
12-Jan-2008, 02:25
Yes , i know this method but i´m searching for a different one.
now , there is plenty of 4x10 film holders at good prices.
an adapter to 8x10 cameras will be a solution for a photographers that don´t want o could afford especiality 4x10 cameras like me for example.

Nick_3536
12-Jan-2008, 02:43
Custom holders aren't a good choice for the budget.

Why not buy a 4x10 back and fit it to your 8x10 camera? Shen Hao sells a 4x10 back for it's 8x10 camera for a lot less then even one custom holder would cost you. If you really want custom holders contact Sandy at S&S holders. But custom rarely equals saving money.

prado333
12-Jan-2008, 10:31
i would like to buy the shen-hao 4x10 back , but i don´t know if it could be adapt to my tachihara 8x10. anyone know if it is possible?

Asher Kelman
12-Jan-2008, 11:52
After a long search i saw a great idea , in 8x10 film holders a guy make two lateral modifications to accept 4x10 film , i think it would be a great idea construct several of these , due the fact that if you have a 8x10 camera you don´t need any special back and
it is easy and cheap to make a mask for the ground glass. anyone know which will be the minimum order to make this holders from fidelity or lisco or if any maker is interested in make this holders?
comments are welcome
all the best
Prado,

Why is it so necessary to crop the image in the camera? After all the film is not that expensive. Larger images allow for context and the best image ultimately might be 4.5x11. Why limit oneself. To me, at least, photography is a progessive process of "making". Unless a client demanded a 4x10 trannie, why go to the trouble of extra film stock?

Of course, if one is only going to do 4x10, then I'd do what you are trying to do or else get a 4x10 back/adapter.

Just another point of view! :)

Asher

Kirk Fry
12-Jan-2008, 13:39
Actually scotch tape comes to mind. Tape in a couple of film placement guides in your 8X10 holders with old film and then tape the 4X10 film in when you load it. Real 4X10 cameras are more on the scale of a 4X5 than an 8X10. That is the point. K