PDA

View Full Version : Two Caltar 90mm lenses

otzi
10-Jan-2008, 02:49
Is there a huge difference between these two lenses?

Caltar II-N Rodenstock Grandagon-N 90mm f4.5
Caltar HR Topcon 90mm f5.6 4x5

Where in the order of things does the Topcon fit in?

IanG
10-Jan-2008, 04:27
The Topcon was probably made by Komura, I think they were also sold as Horseman lenses, they should be good performers.

The Rodenstock's are superb lenses, great sharpness and tonality, the multi-coating is excellent.

Ian

Gene McCluney
10-Jan-2008, 09:00
The Rodenstock should be much newer and a better performer, but more expensive.

Dan Fromm
10-Jan-2008, 09:59
Um, Ian, are you sure that Komura and Tokyo Optical are the same?

Mark Sampson
10-Jan-2008, 10:34
Kerry Thalmann wrote a history of the many different Caltar-branded lenses for VC magazine a few years back- perhaps that information is on VC's website, or his own.

IanG
10-Jan-2008, 11:18
Um, Ian, are you sure that Komura and Tokyo Optical are the same?

No they aren't the same but sometimes it's difficult as manufacturers sub-contract. Komura own Horseman, Horseman marketed a series of LF "Topcon" lenses.

So a Komura lens can be a Topcon.

Ian

Louie Powell
10-Jan-2008, 11:25
According to Kerry's article in VC, the Komura-made Caltar-Pro 90mm f5.6 was manufactured between 1980 and 1984, while the Topcon-made Caltar-HR 90mm f5.6was after 1984.

The partnership between Calumet and Rodenstock also started up in 1984, so it is possible that the age of these two lenses could be the same. However, the Topcon-made lenses, like the Schneider- and Komura-made Caltar-Pro lenses were intended to be "budget" lenses, while the Rodenstock was designed as a "premium" offering. So it is quite possible that there are functional differences between those lenses. Kerry's information does indicate that the Rodenstock lens requires a larger filter than the Topcon. There was also a difference in shutter size.

Jim Galli
10-Jan-2008, 11:44
Was the Topcon even sold for 4X5? I think it might be a 2X3 lens like the Horseman series that Calumet used to sell. The Grandagon is a no-brainer if you can afford it. Truely a great lens.

Dan Fromm
6-Feb-2010, 06:34
No they aren't the same but sometimes it's difficult as manufacturers sub-contract. Komura own Horseman, Horseman marketed a series of LF "Topcon" lenses.

So a Komura lens can be a Topcon.

IanKomamura, not Komura. Learn to spell. Failing that, learn to check before posting.

Dan Fromm
6-Feb-2010, 06:37
Was the Topcon even sold for 4X5? I think it might be a 2X3 lens like the Horseman series that Calumet used to sell. The Grandagon is a no-brainer if you can afford it. Truely a great lens.Jim, having just bought a Horseman lens I looked around to see what's known about them. Turns out that Seth Broder recently posted a Horseman catalog in his site's information section that sheds a lot of light. See http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/info/horseman_2.html

Graham Patterson
6-Feb-2010, 15:48
My Caltar HR 90mm f5.6 seems to match the LF Topcor 90mm specs in the cited catalogue (p.21). I am really happy with it. I do not have any other 90mm to compare it to, however. Though it does seem to hold its own on 6x9 roll film compared to my Mamiya 6 lenses.

It is a shade more contrasty than my Symmar-S 135mm, but that is no great surprise. I use it on a Wista DX, and coverage exceeds my bellows flexibility.