PDA

View Full Version : 5x7 Linhof Technika III vs IV how to tell?

rknewcomb
9-Jan-2008, 11:07
In 4x5 technicas it is somewhat clear which is a model III and which is a IV. In 5x7 it seems not so clear to me.
Can anyone teach me how to tell the difference between a III and IV in 5x7 Techinkas by only looking at the camera on the web, ie: i don't have it in my hands and I don't have a serial number?
thank you!
Robert N.

douglas antonio
9-Jan-2008, 12:59
robert,

as far as i know the only real difference between the two 5x7 models III and IV nwas the change in leatherette color from black to tan. only from the model IV to V there were major changes in construction, especially on the lens standard and look.
maybe bob salomon will drop in and add or revise on this.

seawolf66
9-Jan-2008, 13:23
Robert: Go to this web site and have fun reading: thats where I got my info on my Linholf III : http://www.cameraquest.com/techs.htm

rknewcomb
9-Jan-2008, 14:17
So I guess this would mean that in the 5x7 Technika, the III and IV both are without front forward lens tilt - only having backward tilt to bring the lens upright when dropping the bed?
And neither have front swings?

Ole Tjugen
9-Jan-2008, 14:29
ALL of them have front swing, shift and rise. :)

resummerfield
9-Jan-2008, 15:37
.....the only real difference between the two 5x7 models III and IV nwas the change in leatherette color from black to tan......
I thought the same, and then I saw a III with tan leatherette. I don't know if it was factory applied, but then why would anyone replace black leatherette with that tan color? I think the IV version had the red vertical lines on each side of the front standard, while the III version did not, but there may be variations here, too.

rknewcomb
9-Jan-2008, 18:27
" I think the IV version had the red vertical lines on each side of the front standard, while the III version did not, but there may be variations here, too.[/QUOTE]

In the 4x5 size cameras I believe this is correct, the IV has the red vertical lines on the front standard, but remember, I'm asking about the 5x7 Technika, so I don't know if this is true for them. That's why Im asking, I'm having a hard time telling the III from the IV in the 5x7 size.
I mostly want to know if the 5x7s have forward tilt and side to side swing on the front like they do in the 4x5 Tech IV.

Ole Tjugen
9-Jan-2008, 18:54
The one I had, which seems to have been a Technika III 5x7" with a IV back, did not have red vertical lines on the front standard.

It had front swing, shift, and rise, but only backwards tilt.

It's not for sale anymore! (http://www.bruraholo.no/Cameras/Linhof_Tech/Linhof_Tech.html)

Peter K
10-Jan-2008, 01:41
Technikas III and IV, 4x5" and 5x7", have little changes from batch to batch like vertical lines on the front standart and so on. Also the cameras where aviable with different leatherette and bellows, like black, red and tan. But the big change came with the Technika V, like central front tilt and rising lever.

Peter K

rknewcomb
10-Jan-2008, 08:28
Here is a picture of the camera in question. III or IV ?
Robert N.

douglas antonio
10-Jan-2008, 08:45
got a picture of the back, can you ask for the serial number, robert?

if you get a number, try to contact bob salomon at hp marketing. he should be able to tell you whether III or IV.

Peter K
10-Jan-2008, 11:37
Here is a picture of the camera in question. III or IV ?
Robert N.
It's a Technika III without rangefinder because it's a red one and this form of the lever to fix the lensboard was used also at other cameras 1952.

The serial number is stamped in the attachment shoe.

Peter K