PDA

View Full Version : February Angels and Insects exhibition in Victoria, B.C.

Bosaiya
9-Jan-2008, 10:18
I am pleased to announce that selections from my ongoing Angels and Insects collection of large format, lith-printed macro photographs will be shown at the Victoria Arts Connection in British Columbia during the month of February. This will be my largest showing so far with fifty photos being displayed across two floors. I was told that I was the first non-Canadian to be given a solo showing at this beautiful gallery.

The opening reception is to be held on Saturday, February 2nd and I will be in attendance. I hope you can make it.

For more info: www.victoriaartsconnection.com (http://www.victoriaartsconnection.com)

Regards,

Bosaiya

the Angels and Insects Collection (http://www.angelsandinsects.com)

Annie M.
9-Jan-2008, 11:10
Wonderful... I'll do my best to attend.

Best... Annie

Patrik Roseen
10-Jan-2008, 13:49
Hello Bosaiya,
let me first congratulate you on your coming event/show.

After looking through the angel and insect portfolio I am rather surprised to see that most of the insects look TERRIBLY DEAD. The legs are twisted, the eyes look dried, and the antennas point in awkward positions.

I have avoided photographing dead and dry insects for this very reason. It does not take long after death until they really loose their normal characteristics and look like something that made their way through a vacuum cleaner.

Did you not notice this yourself or is this done on purpose...and what is the reaction from those who have seen your photographs (apart from comenting the photographic process).

regards,
Patrik

Bosaiya
10-Jan-2008, 14:39
Sounds great, Annie, I hope to see you!

Wonderful... I'll do my best to attend.

Best... Annie

Bosaiya
10-Jan-2008, 14:46
Hi Patrick, thanks for the question.

Indeed they are completely and totally dead in every possible way. Set up with legs broken, wings tattered, fur matted and falling off, eyes damaged and antennae frequently missing against stark backgrounds. Then shot with very little depth-of-field, often with odd planes of focus, in black and white with the ragged edges of the Type 55 negative showing, and finally printed as old-looking liths. These should look as far from what you are used to seeing with insects as possible, otherwise I have failed miserably.

The results are mixed with people either loving them or hating them, both passionately. There's very little reaction in between. In person framed at 16x20" they of course look much better. Or worse, depending.

Hello Bosaiya,
let me first congratulate you on your coming event/show.

After looking through the angel and insect portfolio I am rather surprised to see that most of the insects look TERRIBLY DEAD. The legs are twisted, the eyes look dried, and the antennas point in awkward positions.

I have avoided photographing dead and dry insects for this very reason. It does not take long after death until they really loose their normal characteristics and look like something that made their way through a vacuum cleaner.

Did you not notice this yourself or is this done on purpose...and what is the reaction from those who have seen your photographs (apart from comenting the photographic process).

regards,
Patrik

Patrik Roseen
13-Jan-2008, 14:09
Bosaiya, thank you very much for taking the time to answer my question and express your artistic intentions. With this I returned to your images and could experience them in another 'light'.
Good luck with your exhibition. Kind regards, Patrik.

domenico Foschi
13-Jan-2008, 15:09
Bosaya, beautiful work, love your whites and choice of subject matter.
COngrats for the show: 50 images is a lot of work between printing and framing.
I am really getting interested in Lith printing and I wanted to ask you if there is any other publication or resource you suggest aside of Tim Rudman's book.
Best,
Domenico

Sylvester Graham
13-Jan-2008, 16:58
Wow, great work.

I have a few questions. Some of those insects look pretty exotic, or maybe just up close they do. Did you find them all around your residence? Did you go looking for them? travel the world? Have them delivered?

Also, what kind of light source were you using?

Bosaiya
22-Jan-2008, 10:56
My pleasure! Hopefully someday my work will make it to Sweden and you can view them in person!

Bosaiya, thank you very much for taking the time to answer my question and express your artistic intentions. With this I returned to your images and could experience them in another 'light'.
Good luck with your exhibition. Kind regards, Patrik.

Bosaiya
22-Jan-2008, 10:58
Hi Domenico, when I first started out I didn't have a lot to go on so I just learned by trial and error. I would just jump in and give it a try. Have you tried Tim's second lith book? It's got a lot of interesting info from other photographers in it and you might glean some insight. Good luck!

Bosaya, beautiful work, love your whites and choice of subject matter.
COngrats for the show: 50 images is a lot of work between printing and framing.
I am really getting interested in Lith printing and I wanted to ask you if there is any other publication or resource you suggest aside of Tim Rudman's book.
Best,
Domenico

Bosaiya
22-Jan-2008, 11:04
Hi Amilne, almost all of the insects were found around my home. I go into a bit more detail in my book, but that's mostly it. I tried having some mailed to me but that didn't work for a number of reasons. I havepicked up a few in my travels and in fact just got back from a trip with a few container's worth. Honestly though I am most inspired by those that come to me.

For lights I mostly use a combination of incandescent bulbs for spots and flourescent for broads. They are left over from my cinema days but are all very DIY. Lately I have experimented with a variable LED setup but it is a lot of work to use. Early on I did a lot of natural light, I would still do so but moved and dont have access to the same work area anymore.

Wow, great work.

I have a few questions. Some of those insects look pretty exotic, or maybe just up close they do. Did you find them all around your residence? Did you go looking for them? travel the world? Have them delivered?

Also, what kind of light source were you using?