PDA

View Full Version : I was holding out for a Volkswagen TDI but instead I got Cadillacs

John Kasaian
8-Jan-2008, 19:47
errrrrr....I mean cataracts. The Doc says I'll need to get them cut off sometime next year. I was wondering if anyone else here went through this proceedure and what effect it has on their photography, if any, and especially how long it takes to recover ( can I take the 'dorff to the Dr.'s office with me and shoot on the way home if I come across something interesting?):rolleyes:

BarryS
8-Jan-2008, 20:30
errrrrr....I mean cataracts. The Doc says I'll need to get them cut off sometime next year. I was wondering if anyone else here went through this proceedure and what effect it has on their photography, if any, and especially how long it takes to recover ( can I take the 'dorff to the Dr.'s office with me and shoot on the way home if I come across something interesting?):rolleyes:

A good friend of mine recently had cataract surgery on both eyes. They gave him new lenses and his vision is better than it ever was. His recovery seemed pretty quick and he's a very happy camper.

David Karp
8-Jan-2008, 20:53
My Dad had his done at UCLA. They did one, then they waited a while and did the other.

For a while he had been complaining about his TV, how it was dim and how the colors had lost their vibrancy. Then he came home with one repaired eye, and realized that it was his eyes that were the problem. He was quite excited. Once the other eye was done he was very happy seeing everything with such clarity and depth of color! Not to mention the fact that this guy who had needed glasses most of his life now only needs them for reading.

Steve Gilbert
8-Jan-2008, 20:56
My mom just had it done. She was very light sensitive and had to wear dark glasses for a week or two, but now her vision is better than it's been in years. She had to avoid lifting anything heavy for a while, too. I doubt you'll be out with your LF gear for a little while, but maybe you can get caught up on some darkroom work :-)

Best wishes.

Jim Galli
8-Jan-2008, 21:05
Sounds like you're going to go from 1972 Kodacolor 200 to Velvia 50 with an 812 John.

Barry Trabitz
8-Jan-2008, 21:25
John,
I had bilateral cataract surgery about a year ago. Right eye 2 weeks after the left.
I opted for a fixed focal length rather than the multifocal type. My far vision is 20/20 in one eye and 20/30 in the other. I wear progressive glasses that range from clear glass to +2.50. I see perfectly now no shadow. I do not need a loupe to focus. Under the dark cloth I use a full +3.00 eyeglass. The progressives require a head tilt to bring the lower portion of the glasses into play. The progressives cost $69.00 from zennioptical.com. The +3.0 cost about$3.00 from the local dollar store.

Good luck

Barry Trabitz

Ted Harris
8-Jan-2008, 21:30
My experience pretty much mirrors Barry's.

Merg Ross
8-Jan-2008, 22:11
Hi John, I can only echo all of the positive responses you have received. Not from personal experience; however, my mother at 90, had an eye done and saw vibrant colors again for the first time in years. She even thought my photography had improved! Go for it, and don't worry.

As an aside, I will be having an exhibit in your fair city in April, will announce details here closer to the opening.

All best,
Merg

John Kasaian
8-Jan-2008, 22:18
I'll be looking foreward to your exhibit, Merg!

Thanks for all the encouraging words, guys!

Turner Reich
8-Jan-2008, 22:51
As an aside, I will be having an exhibit in your fair city in April, will announce details here closer to the opening.

I was going to send you an email asking if you show your work, I don't own any work of other photographers but would love to have any one of your photographs.

Eric James
9-Jan-2008, 00:33
...can I take the 'dorff to the Dr.'s office with me and shoot on the way home if I come across something interesting?):rolleyes:

They usually do one at a time so I would think that the answer is yes.

No worries - you'll be better than new.

Dick Hilker
9-Jan-2008, 07:31
After having the first eye done, I was amazed at the difference in color perception: what I'd accepted as normal suddenly seemed much more blue as a result of the yellowing of the cataracts. This sent me rushing to see what effect the old vision had had on my prints, but much to my relief they looked fine. Now, after having the second eye done and having no comparison of old and new,everything looks fine, although I seem to be more sensitive to bright light and use sunglasses more.

For the first time in seventy years, I can now see without either strong glasses or contacts and it's wonderful!

MIke Sherck
9-Jan-2008, 08:09
A few years ago I saw a report by an amateur astronomer that after cataract removal he could see a but further into the blue end of the spectrum than he could before. There was some speculation that with the right lens, one might be able to see a little bit into the ultraviolet.

Probably doesn't matter for a photographer, but for an amateur astronomer this would be very cool!

Mike