PDA

View Full Version : Wisner Mfg. Co. Status???

Nick Kanellos
8-Jan-2008, 14:38
I just got off the phone with the guy at Harry's Pro Shop. He's the representative for Wisner in Canada. I called to order some blank lens boards and to get a price on a replacement bellows. He told me that as far as he knows Wisner is out of business.

So I then called Lens & Repro in NY. Same thing. Doesn't know for sure but hasn't heard a peep out of anyone from Wisner Mfg. Co. for a "long time".

I tried calling Wisner Mfg. directly but I can't find a phone number on their web site (which is still up).

So does anyone know? Are they kaput?

David Karp
8-Jan-2008, 14:42
Don't know about Wisner, but S.K. Grimes carries Wisner boards: http://www.skgrimes.com/lensboards/index.htm (Found this while looking for something else.)

RichardRitter
8-Jan-2008, 14:47
I have been doing Wisner repair for the past 10 years and have lens boards in stock.

Richard Ritter
www.lg4mat.net

David Karp
8-Jan-2008, 15:09
Ah yes. I should have thought of Richard too. Sorry.

Jeffrey Sipress
8-Jan-2008, 15:58
No great loss.

Captain_joe6
8-Jan-2008, 17:21
I remember the first time I ever saw the Wisner website, I was so young in the LF game! Everything looked amazing, and man, I had a jonesing for an 8x10 Pocket Expedition. And then I started reading about Wisner...

Now I want an 8x10 Lotus.

Asher Kelman
8-Jan-2008, 17:45
No great loss.

A great loss in potential. The camera line were very ambitious and valued by a lot of people. He needed a proper organization it seems.

It's one thing to be able to make things it's another to be able to deliver and service. I'm disappointed that everything was just shut down!

For people that already have the cameras, it's a great thing that we still have options for service and repairs. However, with the Lotus, Chamonix, Ritter and all the other handmade cameras, there's more than enough choices.

Still, it's a disappointment. I had hope to get a Polaroid processor and a 16x20 Polaroid holder they were going to make. Soon the matter will be utterly mute as there will be no film!

Asher

Michael Kadillak
8-Jan-2008, 19:04
Soon the matter will be utterly mute as there will be no film!

Asher

I disagree completely. We will have access to high quality film for as long as we maintain a positive attitude on the subject, consume film regularly and encourage others to explore the marvels of film. But that is not what this post is about.

Wisner was one of the lead dogs in the view camera game from the beginning and through their progressively ineffective business practices paved the way for a diverse array of alternative camera manufacturers to enter the business and fill the void very effectively. Given these marvelous alternatives LF and ULF photographers now have a reason to smile because they have choices. For all practical purposes Wisner has already ridden into the sunset and is holding on to a tax deduction for as long as the depreciation schedule on his equipment holds out. There is no financial reason for this company to do anything but the minimum in attempting to be in the business. The name will remain on a number of brass face plates of cameras still in operation but it will be nothing more than a small bit of trivial information for the historically inclined.

Onward!

Hans Berkhout
8-Jan-2008, 19:15
Polaroid film?

Dave Parker
8-Jan-2008, 19:15
Soon the matter will be utterly mute as there will be no film!

Asher

Where do people that make statements like this come from?

That is so far from the truth that it is funny!

Geeze talk about doom and gloom...

I am hear to tell you film is doing quite well and will continue to do so, for a great number of years!

God..

Dave

Gordon Moat
8-Jan-2008, 19:36
. . . . . . I had hope to get a Polaroid processor and a 16x20 Polaroid holder they were going to make. Soon the matter will be utterly mute as there will be no film!

Asher

I never heard anything about Polaroid making 16x20 film. They do make 20x24, though you have to order a large batch directly. I know a photographer who is working on a 20x24 project currently, though he wants to keep details quiet until ready to show the images.

I do think that Polaroid film choices may become a bit more limited in the future. However, should Polaroid ever decide to completely cease production, Fuji already have a license agreement to produce instant films. The only downside (for some) with Fuji Instant is that they only make pack films.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat Photography (http://www.gordonmoat.com)

Asher Kelman
8-Jan-2008, 20:48
A great loss in potential. The (Wisner) camera line were very ambitious and valued by a lot of people. He needed a proper organization it seems. ..................

Still, it's a disappointment. I had hoped to get a Polaroid processor and a 16x20 Polaroid holder they were going to make. Soon the matter will be utterly mute as there will be no film!
Asher

I'm referring to the loss of Polaroid film as present stocks get used up. Unless of course some other MFR gets a license or Fuji has a brain short circuit or hears a voice from god!

I disagree completely. We will have access to high quality film for as long as we maintain a positive attitude on the subject, consume film regularly and encourage others to explore the marvels of film. But that is not what this post is about.

If I didn't believe in film and love the media, then for sure I would not have just invested in a new 8x10 camera and would have flogged off my 2 4x5 cameras and my Bronica, superb lenses and all my 35mm film cameras for anything I could get!

Sadly I gave away all my wet darkroom 10 years ago because of lack of space but now am rebuilding with an auto processor as well as trays.

I just happen to like large Polaroid prints. It's immediate and there's no doubt, you can light the person or you cannot! There's no post processing to hide lack of skill.

So no, there's no danger of film going out of use as long as guys on this forum continue to support the medium, and I think the crowd is growing.

And back to Wisner: he made good cameras and did provide service for a while. So he sort of paved a path for a while. That's fine. He did what he did. He's down now so I don't see any point in knocking him unless you have money owed! Still Wisner cameras work well and of course are mainly fed with good old film that needs a darkroom! I just liked the promise he held out to me of a 16x20 solution for Polaroid.

Asher

Ted Harris
8-Jan-2008, 21:34
Asher, AFAIK from many conversations with the Polaroid product rep there is no plan to discontinue Polaroid sheet film. There was/is some production delay as the unit in charge of sheet film has been moving to a different building in the Polaroid complex.

If you've got a concrete source for your information I'd love to have it and I will track it.

Robert Brummitt
8-Jan-2008, 21:47
Well, if the company has finally gone under so be it. Now, I won't have to think about it any more. I love my Wisner and probably never sell it. I wish I could get that final part fixed, though. It's a nice camera otherwise.
I still have my Deardroff!

Asher Kelman
9-Jan-2008, 00:42
Asher, AFAIK from many conversations with the Polaroid product rep there is no plan to discontinue Polaroid sheet film. There was/is some production delay as the unit in charge of sheet film has been moving to a different building in the Polaroid complex.

If you've got a concrete source for your information I'd love to have it and I will track it.
Hi Ted,

I will PM you.

I've shot 20x24 film but the camera is massive. Wisner was going to make a 16x20 film holder. The film is 20 inches wide so theoretically one can have film 8x20, 10, 20 16x20 or whatever. However, Wisner did not follow up with their offer.

Wisner removed the 16x20 Polaroid from their website, but I did find this reference

On Considering the Upgrading of Photo Equipment (Fashion Only Forum 7/27/00)
I want it. We all want it. ........................

Photo District News has the best toys. All the new stuff is shown there in oversized full page layouts, with lighting proven to make a grown photographer drool. My credit is good enough that I could probably squeeze out one of those 16x20 Polaroid camera's being made by Wisner. Imagine, 16x20 prints, instantly, and all it takes is a three year loan to be repayed at about $1000 a month. If I sold the car, made the kids pay for their own college, ate only one meal a day... Source (http://www.fotog.net/writing/w44.htm)

Michael Kadillak
9-Jan-2008, 08:55
Well, if the company has finally gone under so be it. Now, I won't have to think about it any more. I love my Wisner and probably never sell it. I wish I could get that final part fixed, though. It's a nice camera otherwise.
I still have my Deardroff!

Contact Richard Ritter about your part and getting it fixed. Same thing happened to me when I sent Ron an S&S sheet film holder and asked him to make me a reducing back for a 12x20 camera back. The final product came back to me built with more than 3/8" of play in the side proportion and improper T lock dimensions. How you can pull this off with a film holder sample is beyond me. Richard basically had to repair a brand new product that had never been used. Ron offered to make the necessary repairs for no cost but I wanted to be able to use this accessory sometime within the coming 36 months so I passed on his offer. Richard completed the repair in a couple of weeks and checked everything else out and I was making photographs with a smile on my face in short order. He is a real gem.

Cheers!

John O'Connell
9-Jan-2008, 09:47
What other Wisner vaporware is out there other than the 16x20 Polaroid? I'm curious. Did he ever deliver a Hypergon? Did he ever sell any of his SLRs?

Asher Kelman
9-Jan-2008, 10:01
What other Wisner vaporware is out there other than the 16x20 Polaroid? I'm curious. Did he ever deliver a Hypergon? Did he ever sell any of his SLRs?
John,

This is the Whole tragedy of the Wisner company! This is an argument for creative people to get business managers if they don't have these skills. For this one needs insight!

I just examined a new Shen Hao 4x5 and the camera could not take a stand Garflok back because it was built 1/16 inch too small. So sometimes Q.C. is bad in companies that start well but can't maintain themselves. Thanks goodness we have a number of companies that are more careful and so will survive.

Asher

Kevin Crisp
9-Jan-2008, 10:03
I was swamped by one of his workshops when shooting in Death Valley a few years ago. He was taking photos of the students with one of his SLR's so at least one got built. It looked pretty interesting.

Rider
9-Jan-2008, 10:06
Was it a LF SLR?

I was swamped by one of his workshops when shooting in Death Valley a few years ago. He was taking photos of the students with one of his SLR's so at least one got built. It looked pretty interesting.

Dave Parker
9-Jan-2008, 10:15
LF SLR is nothing new, there has been a couple of companies over the years that have made them, graphic made a SLR LF camera in the early part of the last century.

Dave

Kevin Crisp
9-Jan-2008, 10:20
It looked like the one that I think can still be seen on his web site. Very much like an old Graphic "D" (I think that is the model) but with nicely varnished wood instead of black leather covering.

John O'Connell
9-Jan-2008, 10:34
Wisner’s SLR was not as full-featured as the old Graflex SLRs, but is was purty and projected for a price not uncompetitive with Lens & Repro’s refurbs. It was an interesting idea at a market-sensitive price, like his 8x10 Traditional, whether or not it would have been delivered on time or in usable condition, unfortunately.

Mark Sampson
9-Jan-2008, 10:37
IIRC, that camera had a standard between-lens Copal shutter- which would have made it impossibly clumsy and slow to use. Without instantaneous exposure capability, there would be almost no advantage over using a view camera.

Brian Ellis
9-Jan-2008, 11:18

That is so far from the truth that it is funny!

Geeze talk about doom and gloom...

I am hear to tell you film is doing quite well and will continue to do so, for a great number of years!

God..

Dave

I think you misunderstood him. I don't think he meant film in general, just the particular Polaroid film he was talking about. In any event, your message was uncalled for. Different people have different ideas about the future of film. Since none of us can predict the future there is no right or wrong and everyone should be free to express his or her opinion without getting lambasted for it.

Kirk Gittings
9-Jan-2008, 21:01
Frankly, I was about to make a post similar to Brian's rather mild statement, when I saw his. I thought Asher's point was pretty clear.

Jeez, is it the full moon or something?

Dave Parker
9-Jan-2008, 21:04
Why is it when one person posts their "Opinion" then another posts their "Opinion" about that persons opinion....

Awe forget it, I guess I mis-read the statement, I am sorry Asher!

As far as a full moon, don't know, all I have seen since Dec is Clouds and snow, to the tune of 4 feet outside my back door!

:(

Asher Kelman
9-Jan-2008, 21:09

Hi Dave,

First I'm not offended. I do get disappointed with some tendency here for a few to talk about newer posters in 3rd person! Why not address your displeasure to me, after all, my name is there for you to quote. I recognize that at best we can only be perfect 99% of the time. So go ahead, correct me if you are convinced I'm wrong. Most people are open to any opinion you or anyone else might offer. In this case, I'd first assume first that the poster was competent but that there was a misunderstanding and ask a question as Ted Harris did.

This forum is so rich in experience and helpfulness. Encouraging new users fosters the survival of different films by expanding the base of LF photography. A stance, at best dismissive, works against this community. Still, I would offer that there is no loss to our arguments presented with courtesy.

So to the extent that I was not clear, my apologies. Still, we are faced with the loss of the 20" wide rolls of Polaroid needed for ULF Polaroid photography.

Kind thoughts,

Asher

Dave Parker
9-Jan-2008, 21:45
Asher,

I apologize, I apparently mis-interpreted your posting...about film...But I will note, I was Not the only one..

anyway, it is over now..

Dave

Asher Kelman
9-Jan-2008, 22:10
Asher,

I apologize, I apparently mis-interpreted your posting...about film...But I will note, I was Not the only one..

anyway, it is over now..

Thanks Dave,

My new 8x10 camera will be shipped from Chamonix "in approx. 2 weeks". By chance, do you supply them the ground glass.

Asher

Dave Parker
9-Jan-2008, 22:22
Hi Asher,

No, I don't supply their glass, it has been quite a while since I sold anyone in China any screens, I imagine they are doing their own on site.

Dave

Jay W
10-Jan-2008, 09:43
So is Wisner out of business, or is he doing some other wood working projects and just very few cameras and accessories? It seems to me that if you're good with wood, you have to turn down business. It's hard to imagine "being out of business" unless you sell the workshop.

Jay

Michael Kadillak
10-Jan-2008, 11:08
It's hard to imagine "being out of business" unless you sell the workshop.

Jay

Actually it is not hard to imagine at all. You just need to look at things from an independent business owner's perspective.

There is a reason that things happen positively and negatively in life and in business as randon events rarely if ever occur.

The reason that we business owners get up each morning and do our thing to hustle a buck is because we have a considerable incentive to do so. This same incentive is why we treat customers with respect and care is to succeed in the long term. If you are in a business that requires capital equipment then naturally on the advice of a competent CPA you are writing off this equipment over time in the form of depreciation that lowers your tax exposure.

I do not have intimate knowledge of Wisners specific business but we know based upon reading articles of his operations in photographic magazines that he needs a number of large pieces of equipment to make cameras. We also have heard that he has come into a sizeable inheritance and has naturally undergone a reassessment of his priorities as anyone would have done give the same set of circumstances.

Without a financial incentive to make cameras for a living the business has naturally slipped to a far lower personal priority. From a business perspective as long as you have an employee and occasionally cut wood and assemble a camera you can legally be called a business owner with all of the deductions and priviledges that this status affords you. Otherwise, you would sell the equipment, pocket the profits and sail off into the sunset. My point is that the incentive in this business model has shifted from needing to make a living in the camera manufacturing business with large numbers of employees and net camera production equal to a higher net income to using the camera business as an income preservation strategy for as long as this makes financial sense.

Wisner is living life large and good for him. The telephone and e-mail are distractions that do not mix well with sailing and Coronas on a secluded beach. Don't take it personally. There are plenty of competent alternative camera builders and Richard Ritter is available to keep things working correctly.

Cheers!

jnantz
10-Jan-2008, 11:25
acording to emil de leone ( one of wisner's distributers )
wiser is still in business, he has just scaled back production ...

there was a similar post to this on apug a few weeks ago ...

Gordon Moat
10-Jan-2008, 12:30
[QUOTE=Asher Kelman;307950. . . . .

So to the extent that I was not clear, my apologies. Still, we are faced with the loss of the 20" wide rolls of Polaroid needed for ULF Polaroid photography.

Kind thoughts,

Asher[/QUOTE]

Finally I understand what the hell you were talking about with 16x20 Polaroids. My first thought was that you were talking about 16x20 individual sheets. Now I understand.

Polaroid still makes the 20" rolls, but you have to order direct, and it will be a large and expensive order. They make a good profit on this, so there is little reason for them not to produce it. They also have 40" rolls available, though again quite an expensive order required for them to produce it.

It is my understanding that Wisner only made a few items that utilized the 20" Polaroid films, and that he was not responsible for orders from Polaroid. You can still call Polaroid, and they are quite nice to deal with.

Also, Polaroid probably has the best track record of any photography supply company about announcing discontinuation of any of their products. Expect one year or more up front notice about any changes from them. In other words, if you don't hear it from Polaroid, then don't guess.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat Photography (http://www.gordonmoat.com)

LFdelux
11-Jan-2008, 19:52
polaroid? thought they went out of biz 30 years ago?

e
13-Jan-2008, 16:42
Wisner is still in business, albeit scaled way, way back. He just built a brand new workshop. I should post pics on my site but didnt get around to it yet. Also, I have some 4x5 ad 8x10 lensboards and Linhof to Wisner adapter boards in stock for sale if anyone is interested. Be prepared to wait for cameras though. Emile/www.deleon-ulf.com

Michael Kadillak
13-Jan-2008, 18:55
Wisner is still in business, albeit scaled way, way back. He just built a brand new workshop. I should post pics on my site but didnt get around to it yet. Also, I have some 4x5 ad 8x10 lensboards and Linhof to Wisner adapter boards in stock for sale if anyone is interested. Be prepared to wait for cameras though. Emile/www.deleon-ulf.com

Everyone should have a friend like you Emile. All of this support in spite of the fact that it will only be once in a Blue Moon (if ever) when you have a chance to make a buck from this business.

Gene McCluney
14-Jan-2008, 02:07
"Without a financial incentive to make cameras for a living the business has naturally slipped to a far lower personal priority."

This has not been the excuse for the past ten or so years.

The troubling thing is that Ron "can" make the camera he advertises. For some unexplainable reason he chose not to do so more than once in a blue moon.

What would YOU do, if you were independently wealthy? I know I would probably work less, or not at all.

Robert Brummitt
14-Jan-2008, 15:14
What would YOU do, if you were independently wealthy? I know I would probably work less, or not at all.

Then, Ron should just close up shop and enjoy life. He's only hurting others by giving false hopes of supplying cameras and equipment then not backing his warranties or supplies. Ries Tripods back up their warranty and they make a fine tripod.
I for one will not fault Ron if he wants to sit back and enjoy his wealth but then I won't support his cameras either. They're are a fine piece of equipment but without the commitment of the maker It's just a wood camera. The name Wisner Camera has been forever tarnished by Ron in my eyes.

Brian Vuillemenot
14-Jan-2008, 15:25
They're are a fine piece of equipment but without the commitment of the maker It's just a wood camera. The name Wisner Camera has been forever tarnished by Ron in my eyes.

Don't blame the cameras for the man who makes them! Just because the camera maker left something to be desired in his interactions with customers doesn't mean the cameras aren't a great piece of equipment. You can get them for a fraction of the new price on E-Bay now, just because of the decline in Ron's reputation. With something that's basically just a light tight wooden box to hold film and a lens, why do you even need any commitment from the maker?

wager123
14-Jan-2008, 15:27

about a moth ago you respondesd to an email from me about a fesnel lens for my wisner tell ing me to send you another to an email address you sent me which i did still no response about it .

Gene McCluney
14-Jan-2008, 16:51
Then, Ron should just close up shop and enjoy life. He's only hurting others by giving false hopes of supplying cameras and equipment then not backing his warranties or supplies. Ries Tripods back up their warranty and they make a fine tripod.
I for one will not fault Ron if he wants to sit back and enjoy his wealth but then I won't support his cameras either. They're are a fine piece of equipment but without the commitment of the maker It's just a wood camera. The name Wisner Camera has been forever tarnished by Ron in my eyes.

As stated in a previous post, Ron is probably keeping his business minimally "open" so he can depreciate and amortize all the manufacturing equipment he invested in. Being in business myself, I appreciate and understand the financial utility of this practice, no matter what his current income level is. One normally wants to keep as much money as possible and pay as little tax as possible. This is normal.

Here is an idea...why doesn't someone just purchase the business from Ron? I wonder if he would sell?

Robert Brummitt
14-Jan-2008, 17:19
"You can get them for a fraction of the new price on E-Bay now, just because of the decline in Ron's reputation. With something that's basically just a light tight wooden box to hold film and a lens, why do you even need any commitment from the maker?[/QUOTE]

I bought my Wisner because I thought it a wonderful piece of craftsmanship and it had a "Lifetime" Warranty from the Maker. He would back up his craft. That was his commitment. As I stated earlier, Ries Tripods has the same commitment and when I had a problem with my tripod. I called the shop explained what happen and what I needed. I received the parts and had the tripod back in service in two days. I've waited three years to hear from Ron for a simple tension spring on a Wisner graflok back.
I also don't know if I like the idea that my camera is worth only a fraction of what I bought it for. I know that most cameras depreciate but some have a mystique and rarely depreciate. My Deardrof is one. Most Leicas are another. I would like to think the Wisenr camera could have the same mystique. But maybe not.

If Ron is just depreciating the wood working equipment of his shop for tax reasons? Then, he's not in the business of camera making and let the photography community know. I understand its a wise business/tax move but it sure feels rotten to those who of us who have committed to him by buying a camera or have ordered a piece of equipment and he plans not to deliver or choses not to.

Maybe the solution is for Ron to sell the business or be a silent partner. Who would wish to take on that beasty?

Ron, Retire damn it...Retire!

Lets end all these threads of is "Wisner making camera or not?"

windpointphoto
14-Jan-2008, 17:35
Don't blame the cameras for the man who makes them! Just because the camera maker left something to be desired in his interactions with customers doesn't mean the cameras aren't a great piece of equipment. You can get them for a fraction of the new price on E-Bay now, just because of the decline in Ron's reputation. With something that's basically just a light tight wooden box to hold film and a lens, why do you even need any commitment from the maker?

No kidding! They're great cameras and now is the time to buy. I recently had an accident with mine. It got blown over and turned into kindling. Craig Roberts, an excellent photographer and woodworker fixed it up just fine. Or I could have sent it to Ritter. Where do you get your Deardorfs and Zone VIs repaired. What about B&Js or Speed Graphics? I'm not defending his actions in his business practices but the cameras are good. If he screwed me I'd visit him at one of his workshops and have a serious one on one chat with him.

tim atherton
14-Jan-2008, 17:37
As I stated earlier, Ries Tripods has the same commitment and when I had a problem with my tripod. I called the shop explained what happen and what I needed. I received the parts and had the tripod back in service in two days.

really... I wonder whose lifetime they are talking about.

when I need replacement parts for some that had cracked on a leg lock, they told me my tripod was too old and I would have to pay for the parts and would have to fit them myself...

So whose lifetime? Probably the lifetime of the tripod I would think...

windpointphoto
14-Jan-2008, 17:43
really... I wonder whose lifetime they are talking about.

when I need replacement parts for some that had cracked on a leg lock, they told me my tripod was too old and I would have to pay for the parts and would have to fit them myself...

So whose lifetime? Probably the lifetime of the tripod I would think...

The law is that Lifetime can only be 25 years. But if the company goes under....guess who's out of luck? Me usually.

John Sarsgard
14-Jan-2008, 19:04
this thread has been active long enough that few will probably read a post as far down as this one. But I want to say a few things. I bought my Wisner 4x5 around 10 years ago. When I opened the box I thought it was one of the most beautiful manmade things I had ever seen. I still do. It's not perfect, but it was built with thought and conviction and maybe too much rabid opinion, but it's beautiful, I love it, and it's worked with me to make many beautiful negatives. I will never want or need a better 4x5. I called Ron and asked his advice on several "newbie" issues. He cheerfully helped me, at length. I subsequently took one of his workshops. It was a ball, and I learned many things. I have read all the things everyone else has, and assume all kinds of bad things happened. I wouldn't for a moment excuse the things that have happened to people. But I do think Ron must have gotten way ahead of himself, and tried to do way more than he should. But I want to give him credit. My traditional 4x5 is the most beautiful manmade thing I own, and it works flawlessly. My experience doesn't make other things that have happened to others OK, but me and my 4x5 should be heard as part of the same story.

e
14-Jan-2008, 23:37
Still waiting for an answer from Ron on the 4x5 fresnel....I'll let you know soon if this is going to happen.

smokinjay
17-Jan-2008, 21:19
It's no surprise. 8 years ago I think, well it was when the 4x5 pocket expedition came out, I was working for a camera shop in AnnArbor MI. THe camera was great and I had talked the owner into getting us to become a dealer of Wisner cameras. I talked with Ron on numerous occasions. Things were great at first we were selling a good amount of his product. Then I need some things and it was very difficult to get and eventually we stopped carrying his product. He sometimes would have a very bad attitude and just got plain lazy. A shame really because the products he had were really well thought out and innovative.

Ted Harris
20-Jan-2008, 17:10
If you are looking for a used Wisner there is one model to avoid like the plague, the Wisner Classic. It was, I believe, the first model he made. I had one many many moons ago. Nicely built but a PITA. A heavy, difficult to use tailboard design.

sepiareverb
21-Jan-2008, 12:15
I shot a Wisner 810 Tech Field for many years, never had any trouble with it in any way mechanically. My hands just wore out- and the round knobs became too difficult to loosen. So I traded for a Canham, with the paddle type locks and have been using that one since.
Two different animals.

john wilton
21-Jan-2008, 20:28
My traditional 4x5 is the most beautiful manmade thing I own, and it works flawlessly.

Couldn't have said it better. Mine just came back from a nice time in Venice. Was admired even by the Venetians. Took it and 100asa film in carryon, just let it go through the xray without asking for hand inspection or anything...went through without comment, and no fogging after a total of 3 checkpoints. Seems a shame there won't be more Wisners. Time to start saving for an 8x10.

Ed Lajoie
29-Mar-2008, 18:05
In 2003, I had one of the most bizarre business experiences of my life and it involved Wisner. I decided to buy one of his 4x5 hand held cameras. I placed the order and sent in my money. Within a week, I received a personal call from Ron Wisner introducing himself and asking what lens I'd prefer on the camera. We talked for about a half hour and I left the conversation feeling "special". Six months later, I still hadn't received my camera. I called to find out the status. Two days later, I received another call from Ron explaining his current technical difficulties with the camera but assuring me that mine would be coming straight away. Finally, after a year, I asked for my money back. Wisner credited my account with the 3K I had put down. I received neither the camera, nor a good explanation. I think he was using deposits from suckers such as me to fund research and development on a camera he was never able to market. Just out of curiosity, has anyone out there ever (EVER) received one of these cameras which were being marketed in View Camera magazine?

Robert Brummitt
30-Mar-2008, 06:54
I have had the pleasure of exchanging emails with Scott Sharp, we met on this site. Scott is another Wisner camera fan as we all are. Scott and I thought that it would be great if we formed an informal group of fellow Wisner camera users. Sort of a support group. We can exchange ideas of how to care for the cameras, repair shops or "How To's" on repairing your camera. Such as how I went to a local custom spring shop that replaced my broken flat spring and it cost me nothing but a matted print.
We can also discuss other things like best places to take your Wisner or who has taken their camera the furthest. I won't win that category. My camera works mostly within my state of Oregon. I would be interested in hearing from you all fellow W users in caring for the camera like cleaning and conditioning.
I don't know if this idea has any wings but I'm do know that we have a special camera and with the maker not responding to calls or messages. It really is up to us to offer support for each other. I know that certain cars have followings and I think of my camera is just as nice as some autos.
So what do you think? Does this have any sand to stand on? Or am I just throwing ideas into the wind?
:) :)

John Bowen
30-Mar-2008, 10:22
Robert,

I would be interested in such a group.

Ken Lee
30-Mar-2008, 10:34
I have a 4x5 Wisner Technical Field which I purchased used, easily the best of the several field cameras I have owned.

Jorge Gasteazoro
30-Mar-2008, 10:59
I have a Wisner 12x20P that I bought on E bay. I have not seen the smaller models but my camera is of very simple construction, there are few metal parts that could easily be replaced by just about any machinist. I don't know that a "group" is really necessary, Wisner cameras require the same care as any other wooden camera, in fact given that he put so many coats of varnish there is really little you need to do. If it gets wet wipe off the camera and blow dry those parts where wood meets metal and that is just about it.

In my case the bellows are made of a synthetic material that sucks so I had to paint it, if you have a leather bellows, some shoe cream every 6 months will keep it supple and soft.

Ted Harris
30-Mar-2008, 11:27
In addition to Jorge's comments, Richard Ritter repairs and modifies Wisner cameras (www.lg4mat.net).

Jorge Gasteazoro
30-Mar-2008, 11:54
Richard is an excellent choice if mayor repairs are needed and you don't want to spend the time or are not into wood working. After examining the camera there is nothing that cannot be fixed or rebuilt if you have a band saw, a table saw, a drill press and a dado blade.
I guess it would be nice to have a group for those of us who make repairs and comment on ideas or improvements on the camera.

Robert Brummitt
30-Mar-2008, 12:05
After examining the camera there is nothing that cannot be fixed or rebuilt if you have a band saw, a table saw, a drill press and a dado blade.
I guess it would be nice to have a group for those of us who make repairs and comment on ideas or improvements on the camera.
My wife will testify that I happen to be the worse handyman around. It's my ploy to avoid these duties and spend more time with my photography.
Thanks to your suggestion of the shoe/leather lotion. I now have a way to condition my bellows. I'm thinking of how we all like the camera. I also have a Droff but my Wisner has a special place in my heart. There are photographers who feel the same for their Leicas and Nikons. Why not Wisners? It's just a suggestion thats all.

seawolf66
31-Mar-2008, 08:56
Frankly, I was about to make a post similar to Brian's rather mild statement, when I saw his. I thought Asher's point was pretty clear.

Jeez, is it the full moon or something?
Kirk: Full Moon on the 5th of april their just getting warmed up ,thats all:

Sal Santamaura
31-Mar-2008, 10:31
...Full Moon on the 5th of april...My calendar (Ansel Adams :) ) shows April 5th as a new, not full, moon.

CP Goerz
31-Mar-2008, 11:15
In the same vein has anyone ever seen a Wisner 'Zero Sum Corrector' for the Plasmat set he made?

Kirk Keyes
31-Mar-2008, 13:03
In the same vein has anyone ever seen a Wisner 'Zero Sum Corrector' for the Plasmat set he made?

Didn't they install one of those on the Hubble Space Telescopes?

David A. Goldfarb
31-Mar-2008, 14:33
Or anything other than a drawing of the Wisner Hypergon?

Richard K.
31-Mar-2008, 16:41
After Ron promised me the refund was in the mail (it wasn't) for the non-finished issues of "The Larger View" newsletter, volume 1, I subscribed to its reincarnation....you can probably guess how many issues of those were sent out (and the status of any refunds)...what's that that Bush says ...fool me twice, shame on...Ron....:o LOL

luis a de santos
1-Apr-2008, 13:10
Every bit of business I did with him including the 20x24 Polaroid camera was a disaster.
Always late , poor response to questions and no concern whatsoever for the client.
People like that should no be in business.

Robert Brummitt
1-Apr-2008, 15:08
OK, I was hoping to avoid the Ron bashing. I and you all know that he isn't the person we should do business with. His customer service lacks big time! But, I had thought that maybe we could raise above the bashing and leave Ron behind. Way behind!
I truly like the camera and its craftsmanship. Everytime I pull it out I get more ooh and awes from the public. I spend time explaining the difference of this camera verses digital cameras. my 4x5 Tech is one of the better cameras I have worked with and I'm happy with it and not with the maker.
Jorge shared his approach to conditioning the bellows. I shared how I had my flat spring repaired and I'm sure there's more out there?
I like my camera and thought maybe other Wisner fans can share stories and ideas with me. I guess I was wrong.
:) :) :)

Robert Richardson
2-Apr-2008, 12:57
I purchased an 8x10 from Ron in '87, and could not be happier - it is a great camera and Ron was and always has been very up-front with me. That he is getting a bad rap here may or may not be deserved - I really can't say! But, I can say that he made (makes) a great camera, and at a very resonable price. And, I would add that Ron knows photography too. Yes, there are a number of very fine LF cameras out there now, but Wisner lead the field and deserves proper credit. Anyone in business for themsleves knows the trials involved and can understand the problems associated with a marginal, at best, bussiness. That you and I have a very broad selection of LF models to choose from today is really a result of Ron's commitment to the art of photography!
Bob Richardson

Jorge Gasteazoro
2-Apr-2008, 13:32
OK, I was hoping to avoid the Ron bashing. I and you all know that he isn't the person we should do business with. His customer service lacks big time! But, I had thought that maybe we could raise above the bashing and leave Ron behind. Way behind!
I truly like the camera and its craftsmanship. Everytime I pull it out I get more ooh and awes from the public. I spend time explaining the difference of this camera verses digital cameras. my 4x5 Tech is one of the better cameras I have worked with and I'm happy with it and not with the maker.
Jorge shared his approach to conditioning the bellows. I shared how I had my flat spring repaired and I'm sure there's more out there?
I like my camera and thought maybe other Wisner fans can share stories and ideas with me. I guess I was wrong.
:) :) :)

I don't think you were wrong, I understand some people might still harbour some resentment specially in the light that his cameras seem to be loosing value. I just saw on E bay the same camera I bought for 4K on sale for $2500 with TWO EWB holders!

but I think most of us have moved on, it just that pretty as they are they are still wooden cameras that require the same care as any other camera. Wisner cameras never achieved the status of a Deardorff and now that he is out of bussiness and given the lack of consistency in quality control I think you would have more success of starting a group for Wisner cameras and how to fix them in a woodworking forum than in a large format forum... :)

jnantz
2-Apr-2008, 17:21
Just out of curiosity, has anyone out there ever (EVER) received one of these cameras which were being marketed in View Camera magazine?

i would have thought if his slr had a focal plane shutter
and didn't cost 10x the price of a graflex,
that it would have sold like hotcakes.

Dan Fromm
3-Apr-2008, 03:40
i would have thought if his slr had a focal plane shutter
and didn't cost 10x the price of a graflex,
that it would have sold like hotcakes.Arca Swiss SLRs didn't sell like hotcakes, new or used, and used Mentor SLRs don't sell like hotcakes.

jnantz
3-Apr-2008, 06:50
Arca Swiss SLRs didn't sell like hotcakes, new or used, and used Mentor SLRs don't sell like hotcakes.

good point dan ...

MenacingTourist
3-Apr-2008, 07:12
I'll chime in here....
I picket up a Wisner tradtional 8x10 from Jim at Midwest recently. Besides the usual warm fuzzy comments about Jim and his crew I am very fond of the camera. It's a move up from my trusted Kodak 2D.

As a woodworker I'm in love the construction of this thing and as an eager to learn/experiment creative person I couldn't ask for more. I should really give a shout out to Robert Hall for directing me to Midwest's used section. Robert is such an enabler bless his heart.

See, no bashing :)