PDA

View Full Version : Kodak Supermatic flash - Where to start looking for glass

EZzing
8-Jan-2008, 04:02
I picked up a black c400 as a project camera to act as a future field camera for us.
NOW that's it for me this year as I'm still waiting for my project seneca 29 - 4x5 glass plate camera to get here.

I then saw an ad on another site for a Kodak supermatic shutter that needs the lenses for it. IT has a 203 ektar lens in it originally.

Besides evilbay, Where is a good place to start the search? I am in no hurry as the camera came with a good caltar 165mm in a seiko shutter.

The bellows are light tight but look " a little blown out and loose" would accurately describe it. It is a working camera though!

Thanks

Bill

Gene McCluney
8-Jan-2008, 09:09
You are more likely to find a complete lens and shutter, than to just find the glass to fit an old Supermatic shutter. Kodak did not use standard size for its lens element groups so only the specific Kodak lens groups that originally came in your shutter would fit and work. Since the majority of 203mm Ektars were sold mounted in shutter, that is what you are going to find.

EZzing
8-Jan-2008, 10:14
Thanks, Gene! I am really learning as I go. Maybe I can find one with a shutter beyond repair sometime in the future! At any rate, the cost of the lens went to support a great web site !

I sincerely appreciate all replies and information! I learned something I REALLY needed to know about the Kodak lenses!

Bill

venchka
9-Jan-2008, 08:52
Interesting. I have the opposite need. I have a pair of lens cells from a Kodak 3a. They fit perfectly in the 1953 Kodak shutter that currently holds a pair of 127mm Ektar cells. I can swap the cells back and forth, but it would be nice to have another shutter and matching Speed Graphic lens board.

John Kasaian
9-Jan-2008, 08:59
Bill,
If you look hard enough you should be able to find a 203 ektar in a working flashmatic for under $200,

Ernest Purdum
9-Jan-2008, 11:14
Even though it is true that most 203mm Ektars are in shutter, I believe I did see one in barrel on eBay recently, so it wouldn't hurt to keep an eye out.