PDA

View Full Version : Photo Ops for Charleston, SC & area

Bob Phipps
7-Jan-2008, 16:08
Hi All,

I will have 3 days in Charleston, SC in mid-April [08]. Any hints about photo ops other than the historial downtown [that's a given]. Friends have given me details of the historical district.

I'm interested in landscapes/scenics to add to the buildings and flowers of downtown.

Any areas for harbor scenes, sailboats, fishing boats, dory or skifs. Any old wooden ships or historical ships. Not interested in commercial shipping.

Best plantations, shore lines, bay or river views.

Any info would help since I have never been in this area.

Thanks,
Bob

Greg Lockrey
7-Jan-2008, 16:17
There used to be a real good photshop in Chaleston at the ground floor of the Francis Marion Hotel. I know it has changed hands since I lived there in the '70's but they should be knowlegable as to the best plantations, etc and when the magnolias are in bloom. I think it's in March-April time frame.

Kevin M Bourque
7-Jan-2008, 16:34
That photo shop is long gone, alas.

Magnolia Cemetery is a wonderful place (dates back to 1850) and only a short drive uptown. Google can show you where.

We have a new bridge over the Cooper River thats just dying to be photographed.

Magnolia Plantation is the one I'd pick if I could only go to one.

Folly Beach can be interesting......the far ends of it are undeveloped and you can actually stand in some places and not see McMansions. Bring bug spray.

Enjoy! April is s good time to visit since the Humidity Festival doesn't start till June.

Greg Lockrey
7-Jan-2008, 16:40
There are scrimp boats with their rigging that's pretty cool on Sullivan's Island just over that bridge over the Cooper River.

Brian Vuillemenot
7-Jan-2008, 17:52
If you head north, towards Myrtle Beach, Brookgreen Gardens in Pawleys Island has a lovely collection of outdoor sculpture, and some very scenic oak trees. The surrounding area of the Low Country has a lot of scenic marshes and wetlands. Myrtle Beach itself has an old-time style boardwalk with a wooden roller coaster and other carnival-type attractions, if that's your cup of tea.

Toyon
7-Jan-2008, 18:12
There are scrimp boats with their rigging that's pretty cool on Sullivan's Island just over that bridge over the Cooper River.

I like scrimping better than sailing!!

Greg Lockrey
7-Jan-2008, 19:51
I like scrimping better than sailing!!

Opps! Should have been shrimp boats. I just got up when I posted that.:D

D. Bryant
7-Jan-2008, 21:10
Hi All,

I will have 3 days in Charleston, SC in mid-April [08]. Any hints about photo ops other than the historial downtown [that's a given]. Friends have given me details of the historical district.

I'm interested in landscapes/scenics to add to the buildings and flowers of downtown.

Any areas for harbor scenes, sailboats, fishing boats, dory or skifs. Any old wooden ships or historical ships. Not interested in commercial shipping.

Best plantations, shore lines, bay or river views.

Any info would help since I have never been in this area.

Thanks,
Bob
Kevin has given a list of good possibilities. I would also reccomend possibly visiting Brook Green Gardens north of Charleston located between Myrtle Beach and Pawleys Is. It's about a 1.5 hour drive from Charleston and it is a very photogrenic place. Admission is required.

http://www.brookgreen.org/index2.html

Also some of the neighborhoos just outside the historic 'Old Towne' district are very interesting and worth walking around to visit. Just be careful though the college students drive wild there. And there are a lot of old chruches in the downtown area you may find interesting.

Don Bryant

Robert Ley
8-Jan-2008, 07:17
Bob,
You will be in Charleston about the time that the Azalia's will be in bloom. I found that the best place to see these wonderful and colorful flowers is Middleton Gardens. Middleton is an old rice plantation that has the oldest gardens in North America or so they say. Dates from the late 1600's. Very extensive and I would allow several hours for a good tour. You are picking a great time to be in Charleston.
Robert

Brian Ellis
8-Jan-2008, 09:33
I'm no expert and certainly wouldn't discourage anyone from photographing in the historic district but when I tried to photograph there I found it difficult because of all the parked cars in front of the buildings. Others who know the district better than I do may have a different take but if I went back I'd be sure to take my widest angle lens, hopefully 75mm or even shorter, so that you can set up on the sidewalks between the cars and the buildings.

Bob Phipps
8-Jan-2008, 09:54
Thanks all,
I am well familiar with Brookgreen Gardens, but even better the Huntington Beach State Park. I photographed the recovery of the Park over a ten year period after Hurricane Hugh. The dunes were moved three miles inland - to the former rice field areas behind Brookgreen gradens. My best beach sunrises were taken at the park. It has one of the best campgrounds and undisturbed beach [toward Merril's Inlet]. The fresh and salt water marsh areas are fantastic.

Thanks again for the info. It is a shame the photo stores are going out of business. I'm afraid the electronic world will eventually cause the loss of that personal touch that made learning photography from another individual so exciting. With that loss will be the loss of much knowledge we cannot get from workshops, websites, blogs, cruises, tours, etc.

Best wishes,
Bob

Hollis
8-Jan-2008, 09:55
I did a commercial shoot out at Boone Hall plantation in Mt. Pleasant and it was very nice. Amazing Oak trees there and there is some decent access to the marshes if you ask.