PDA

View Full Version : 5x8 film?

John Brady
7-Jan-2008, 07:06
Do any of you know of a source for 5x8 black and white film? I am going to receive a new 5x8 Chamonix in a couple of weeks so I need to get prepared.

I know one option is to cut 8x10 sheets in half and I am prepared to do that if necessary. If there are no sources for odd size film any advice on creating a jig or other tips on cutting film would be great.
Thanks, jb

Don Sparks
7-Jan-2008, 07:25
This is what I use to cut 4x10.

Michael Alpert
7-Jan-2008, 07:37
Don,

I have a few questions about the use of the Rototrim cutter. Do you find that the plastic guide along the cutting edge scratches your film as you are putting it in place? Do you cut you film face up or face down? What do you do to prevent dust from landing on the film? Have you found any problem with bits of emulsion from the cut edge landing on the film? I use this cutter for trimming prints, and I think it works very well. But I've never used it for film. Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Don Sparks
7-Jan-2008, 07:51
Michael, I've never had any problems you mentioned when cutting film. I always cut face up, could be a possibility of scratches face down...but I don't know since I 've never done it that way. When you cut face up, it's ready to load in the holder. I've used this method for several years now and have never had a single piece of bad film caused by the cutting process. I lift up on the plastic hold down strip when sliding the film under it.

John Brady
7-Jan-2008, 08:01
Thanks Don, very cool set up!
Do you cut large quantities in advance, or just what you need to fill your holders?
If you cut in advance, do you notch the un-nothced halve to keep track of emulsion side?
Also, any advice on a box to store 5x8 film once cut until ready for use?
Thanks
jb

davidb
7-Jan-2008, 08:58
so you buy a box of 8x10 and cut it down ?

John Brady
7-Jan-2008, 09:14
so you buy a box of 8x10 and cut it down ?

Hi David, I'm not sure who the question is for but in my case I will cut a sheet of 8x10 to make two sheets of 5x8. Don is doing the same thing only cutting the other way to make two 4x10. Same thing only different:)

Justin Cormack
7-Jan-2008, 13:01
I had problems scratching Efke film, but Ilford doesnt scratch at all, emulsion side up. I cut as I load the holders, its very quick, rather than doing a box in advance. If you had to do more than one cut it would probably be easier to do it in two sessions one for each cut.

Robert Fisher
7-Jan-2008, 13:56
John et al, how do you notch your film in this situation?

Regards,

Robert

Don Sparks
7-Jan-2008, 14:33
I load my holders after cutting the film. I don't see any need to notch the film even if you store it in a box, just put it in the box face up. If you think it might get mixed up, just make a cardboard sleeve a little bigger then the film and notch the right corner of the sleeve for reference.

jetcode
7-Jan-2008, 14:57

the full edge is essential - without it, bad film cuts of which I have encountered as if the price of film isn't enough when exposed and developed.

jetcode
7-Jan-2008, 15:00
I lift up on the plastic hold down strip when sliding the film under it.

more sage advice - this plastic piece definitely touches the film surface if not raised.