PDA

View Full Version : Catechol, Catechol, Pyrocatechol?

Ross Chambers
7-Jan-2008, 00:27
Stephen Anchell in the Cookbook says that these are synonymous.

My first mix of Pyrocat HD was from a Formulary kit as a trial.

It looked promising, so i ordered the makings from my local supplier.

However the "catechol" looked different to Formulary's. Theirs was a rather odd collection of differently shaped crystals and powder, with a distinctly brown tone.

My supplier's was a far cleaner looking and more regular small crystalline glossy one, with a slight touch of brown.

As well by a rough calculation Formulary's price is 8 cents/gram and my local's 52 cents/gram.

The purchase has been made, it's not an option to return the catechol, but I'd appreciate confirmation that this is probably just a higher grade, and that the synonymity quoted above is correct and -- as far as limited e-mail communication allows -- it will work?

Regards - Ross

Ross Chambers
7-Jan-2008, 00:29
Whoops, Header should have been:

Catechol, Catechin, Pyrocatechol?

You may observe my confusion :-)

Ross

Ole Tjugen
7-Jan-2008, 00:57
It's the same. 1,2 benzenediol and o-hydroxyphenol are also the same.

I've used the "high grade stuff" for years, since with shipping it ends up being cheaper than the Formulary's.

IanG
7-Jan-2008, 02:05
Also know as Pyrocatechin. It should be white crystals with a pinkish touch.

Once it goes a grey/brown it's usually old and unuseable, so always worth doing some tests first before trusting it for important films. However yours sounds fine and as it should be.

Ian

Ross Chambers
7-Jan-2008, 23:22
Thanks for the prompt answer. You may picture me at my suppliers (who seemed to have also multiplied the ordered quantity by 5 somehow) backing out of a $300 bill, when Formulary prices were so much lower comparatively. Fortunately we have a good relationship! The Formulary catechin did look rather like something swept from the floor, but worked fine. I understand that there are "analytical" and "technical" grades of chemistry, with markedly different prices?

Thanks - Ross