PDA

View Full Version : Field camera that would work well shooting architectural subjects.

Bob Freund
13-Aug-1998, 00:17
I shoot architectural photography and because I am traveling more I am looking t o lighten the load. My old companion has been a Graphic View but I'd like to ge t a Field Camera and perhaps the Quick Load system by Fuji. I haven't decided o n wood or metal. My practical side says metal the 'artist' says wood.

Light weight, an ample rise and durability are the three important things that c ome to mind. Price range would be $1500-$2500 Thanks

Ellis Vener
13-Aug-1998, 02:37
Bob, I have lately been using a Canham DLC for mostly architectural photography, prim arily exteriors: ample rise, light weight and durable (so far I have only had it since April) check the entries under the Canham DLC in this Q&A and also the en try and comments under "Canham metal field" on this sites homepage for more inpu t. I am happy with almost all aspects. stability and rigidity are excellent. unlike the Linhof Technikardan S (also an excellent camera) no wide-angle bellows is n eeded for lenses down to 58mm Price for camera complete w/ fresnel, ground glas s protector, Linhof Technika style adapter board and case ranges from US$2300 to US$2450. You should also look into the Arca Swiss F-line or F-C camera.

Ian Wilson
5-Sep-1999, 01:29
The Ebony SW45 or SW23 might meet your requirements - it's made of ebony wood and titanium, can be used with a 35mm lens and has extensive movements - it's specifically designed for wide-angle/architectural photography. If you're interested in a brochure / price list, feel free to e-mail me. Ebony's web site is at http://www.ebonycamera.com.

Bob Salomon
5-Sep-1999, 05:45
Linhof has 2 models. Onea little outside your price range new and the other quite a bit out.

it appears that you have left out a major feature for your type of photography. How wide a lens do you feel you may need? You might check Norman McGraths review of the 35mm Apo Grandagon to get a feel for how wide you can go.

The Linhof Technikardan 45S takes lenses from 65mm up on flat boards and from 35mm to 58mm on recessed boards. For m,aximum flexibility, since this camera has a lot of movement, a wide angle bellows is available although the TK can focus a 45mm at infinity with the standard bellows if movements aren't needed.

The other model is the Technika 2000 which is much more expensive and can use lenses from 35mm (on a flat board) up and uses the same bellows for all lenses. Naturally you can infer that since the same bellows can be used the movements, while generous, are less than the Technikardan.

The 2000 is the more expensive mode