PDA

View Full Version : Chamonix 45N-1 locking

Dirk Rösler
6-Jan-2008, 23:10
Hello,

I am generally very happy with the camera, but would like to hear other owners' feedback on locking.

While front rise locks extremely well, I find that rear and front swing keep moving when handling the camera (carrying, pulling out of the bag etc.). Even though I am really gentle, something is always off when setting up the next shot and a full check is needed that everything is still neutral. Front shift is tight, it just keeps twisting very easily.

I don't want to tighten the wheels like mad, because I may not be able to release them. Anyway, it should not require that much force anyway.

What are your experiences? Is it worth putting something rubberesque or similar between the surfaces to avoid this creep?

Dirk

BarryS
6-Jan-2008, 23:54
I haven't had that issue, but I'm either carrying the camera folded up or on top of my tripod. Are you saying you carry the camera in your bag unfolded and zeroed and it gets bumped out of alignment? I guess the problem is the lack of a zero detent for front swing. Without a detent, I'm not surprised that an unfolded 45N-1 can get the front standard moved a bit. I don't think the camera is really meant to be transported unfolded in a case. If you slide the rear standard supports forward to where the base slots begin, it acts as a detent for the rear standard. I've never had any issue with the rear standards, but I do wish it were a little easier to zero out the front swing. I'd just be happy if the inscribed calibration marks on the base were white and easily seen.

Dirk Rösler
7-Jan-2008, 00:28
If you slide the rear standard supports forward to where the base slots begin, it acts as a detent for the rear standard.

Hi, thanks - do you mean to their frontmost position so you basically have the knobs at the feet of the rear standard? I have tried that, but was not sure if that achieved parallelism.

It is not just carrying it unfolded, even while operating the lens from under the dark cloth and accidentally bumping with the hand against the front standard can throw it off.

Dirk

BarryS
7-Jan-2008, 08:30
...do you mean to their frontmost position so you basically have the knobs at the feet of the rear standard?

Yes, with the bottom knobs slid to the rear of the bed slot and the rear standard base slid a bit forward using the top knobs as stops, the rear swing is zeroed. Also, I haven't had a problem with zeroing by making sure the rear edges of the rear standard base are flush with the rear edge of the bed. My front standard stays put pretty well against casual knocks, but maybe I'm just locking things down tighter than you've been doing. Maybe just wipe off the bottom of the front standard base and the top of the bed with a little alcohol to remove any oils and try tightening down a little more.

dougkirk
9-Jan-2008, 20:06
I'd just be happy if the inscribed calibration marks on the base were white and easily seen.

If you can find it, perhaps some Liquid Paper applied to the marks? Correction tape might also work, but probably more difficult to apply.

Dirk Rösler
12-Jan-2008, 02:49
Maybe just wipe off the bottom of the front standard base and the top of the bed with a little alcohol to remove any oils and try tightening down a little more.

Hi Barry, this little made a world of difference. Slight black residue came off in the process, as you said. Many thanks indeed!

Regards

Dirk