PDA

View Full Version : Faulty copal 0 on Nikon 135 W 5.6

Luca Merlo
6-Jan-2008, 14:03
i have just come back from France and during the trip I realised that the shutter of my Nikon 135 W was faulty. I would like to know who can fix this shutter and, since I also have a Nikon 150 W 5.6 I was wondering if I can replace the cells on this shutter without any problems for the aperture settings.

Thank you and Happy 2008 to everybody

Peter K
6-Jan-2008, 15:09
You can change the shutters but you have to change the aperture scale too. When there is any spacer ring, the ring goes with the lens.

Any camera repair shop should be able to repair your shutter.

Peter K

dfn
7-Jan-2008, 01:53
Exactly what has gone wrong?
Does it stick on slower speed? Total lockup? Have the shutter blades jumped out of their positions?
I have disassembled some shutters and been able to fix them myself, but you could never be sure of success, at least not the first time.
Remember that the lenses often was adjusted with shims to compensate for tolerances on the shutters. If you change the shutter, the lens may not be correctly adjusted. But, in the case of near-symmetrical Plasmat-designs, this may not be a problem, I think they are not as much dependent of adjustments as are more assymetric lenses.

Luca Merlo
7-Jan-2008, 08:37
Ciao. The shutter often "fires" without opening above all at lower speeds. I do kot know where to go in Italy since Nikon large format lenses are apparently not very popular. I was wandering to send it to SK Grimes. What do you think ?

Gene McCluney
7-Jan-2008, 08:41
Ciao. The shutter often "fires" without opening above all at lower speeds. I do kot know where to go in Italy since Nikon large format lenses are apparently not very popular. I was wandering to send it to SK Grimes. What do you think ?

This is not a "lens" fault. Your lens is just fine. Your problem is a shutter malfunction. The Copal brand of leaf shutters are used on ALL modern large-format brands of lenses. Schneider, Rodenstock, Fuji, Nikon, Congo, etc. It is the shutter you need service on, and because the Copal (brand) of shutters is so common, I think you can have any competent repair shop fix your shutter...remember it is not a Nikon issue here.