PDA

View Full Version : Processing 8x10?

Maretzo
5-Jan-2008, 22:20
Hi All,

Some years ago, I ditched my contax with Zeiss lenses to move to the more convenient digital, how stupid I was :mad:
I came back to the real thing one year ago.:) and put away my D200 with Zeiss and Voigtlander lenses, my Hasselblad and enjoy as much as I can my wooden box with a 50-year-old Schneider lens. It beats them all...:D

Now I am planning to move up to the bigger 8x10.
I could not find any lab that can process bigger than 4x5, at least within reasonable driving distance in Switzerland (of course, americans, canadians and australian would say that everything is within reasonable distance in Switzerland:o ).
I would like to invite my fellows LF shooters to share their experience.

How is it difficult to process ourselves BW negative and color slides?
Which equipment and chemistry does it involve?
How much would be an initial investment?

thanks a lot in advance guys, looking forward reading the coming posts.

Maretz

Brian Ellis
5-Jan-2008, 22:45
I don't know about slides but b&w film is easy. For 8x10 you probably want to start with trays, about 12x14 or larger. You obviously need a room that can be kept dark (doesn't have to be a dedicated "dark room," a bathroom or something similar will do). You'll need room for at least three trays - developer, stop, and fix. You'll also need a way to wash the prints, either a print washer that can be used with 8x10 film or some sort of tray/hose arrangement. And a relatively dust-free place to hang the film to dry. If you've never developed b&w film before just do some reading on line or pick up a book. Ansel Adams' book "The Negative" is good but there are many others. Trying to take you through the process here step by step would be a little much.

Todor Georgiev
5-Jan-2008, 22:58
I recently went through this and I would add two things: (1) It was easier than expected and as fun as expected. (2) Get at least 4 trays! Or 5.

Todor

Peter De Smidt
6-Jan-2008, 08:38
Get a recent Jobo CPP-2 with an 8x10 expert drum. Consistent, does color and BW, no scratching!

Ralph Barker
6-Jan-2008, 08:42
I also use trays to develop my 8x10 B&W negs. While working in total darkness might sound daunting, it's actually quite easy.

I don't think I'd try trays for processing color, however. For color, a Jobo processor is probably a better solution. There are a number of Jobo users here who will likely chime in as time permits. If you end up getting a Jobo unit for color, you might want to use it for B&W, as well. Many do.

Scott Squires
6-Jan-2008, 10:35
Get a recent Jobo CPP-2 with an 8x10 expert drum. Consistent, does color and BW, no scratching!

I agree with Peter. Not the cheapest way but I find for B&W and E-6 it works as a great setup and really makes it fun!

scott_6029
6-Jan-2008, 14:03
Developing B &W negatives with trays is not difficult at all...and less expenxive than a jobo. But both work well. It is also fun. Check threads on development by inspection. You can also easily contact print with your 8x10 negatives. Best of luck.

Joan Girdler
10-Jan-2008, 11:36
Sorry, but I do not know how to post a question so this looked like a good thread for my questions. I was told by a very nice man at B&H that I cld use a roller base and an
expert Jobo drum 3005 inlieu of spending $4,000. for a CPP-2. What is a roller base and
where may I purchase one? Secondly, some of the older posts on this forum indicate one may use the two film holder Jobo 2830 instead of the more expensive 3005 6 film capacity. Any thoughts out there from people who have done this? Also just bought a
Shadow Box tent for loading and unloading film holders. Hoping this cld also be used for loading a drum for film processing? I really need some help with this. Thank you.