PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading a Gandolfi Variant ?

Ron Bose
4-Jan-2008, 21:44
Gandolfi sell, or at least used to sell, upgrade kits converting their 4x5 Variants to 5x7 or even 8x10.

Does Gandolfi still make these kits ?

Are they actually still in business ? Their price list is dated Feb 2004 ...

Cheers,
Ron

Ole Tjugen
4-Jan-2008, 22:41
To the best of my knowledge, they are still in business. But he can be difficult to reach at times.

A Charles
4-Jan-2008, 22:50
Ron, I also have a Variant and wanted to upgrade to 5x7. I emailed Gandolfi and finally received a reply from Eddie after a few weeks and yes he still does offer the upgrade. This is what he said...... " you will need a new bellows and back assembly this includes the swing bracket and arms plus a 5 x 7 spring back with gridded ground glass screen".....He says I really need to send the camera in for the upgrade to be properly setup. He did not mention the price so I am waiting to here back from him with the price.

The Variant is a great camera and very versatile. If the price is not to much I think I'm going to send mine in for the upgrade.

Charles

Ron Bose
5-Jan-2008, 09:31
Thanks for the replies ...

I hope they don't become the next Ron Wisner !!!

Brian ER
5-Jan-2008, 16:45
Hi

Try the Gandolfi website - prices are listed:

www.gandolficameras.com

Brian

Ron Bose
5-Jan-2008, 16:53
Hi

Try the Gandolfi website - prices are listed:

www.gandolficameras.com

Brian

Last updated 'Feb 2004'

Draw your own conclusions ....

Jorge Gasteazoro
5-Jan-2008, 17:25
One of the main reason I got rid of my variant was the service and prices from them. I wanted to change from the technika front standard to the Sinar and tried to ask the owner how much the part would cost, that I was able to change it. After many calls from mexico to england, many e mails I got a quote of $1700...lol.. the camera only cost $2800 when I bought it. As far as I am concerned their service is terrible almost at a par with Wisner, and the variant is not very well made, at least mine wasn't. In the end after using this camera for almost 10 years I was able to save enough to buy an AS....

Ron Bose
5-Jan-2008, 19:23
Thanks Jorge,
We'll see what happens with my inquiry (along with Charles').

Maybe I should save for a year and get a Canham ????

Ben R
6-Jan-2008, 11:39
I had the same problem, he hardly answers emails. It's cost him my money...

Jorge Gasteazoro
6-Jan-2008, 11:45
Thanks Jorge,
We'll see what happens with my inquiry (along with Charles').

Maybe I should save for a year and get a Canham ????

THat would be my advice, I have not had the opportunity of using the Canham, but don't you just hate all them little knobs and levers you have to adjust with the Variant? After using the Variant I am in hog heaven with the AS. The Variant was never transparent to me, I always had to think which knob I needed to turn to make it do something.

Ron Bose
6-Jan-2008, 12:44
THat would be my advice, I have not had the opportunity of using the Canham, but don't you just hate all them little knobs and levers you have to adjust with the Variant? After using the Variant I am in hog heaven with the AS. The Variant was never transparent to me, I always had to think which knob I needed to turn to make it do something.

LOL, yes !

Even the Technikardan has many knobs, but it's more intuitive as to which does what.

Jorge Gasteazoro
6-Jan-2008, 13:09
I used to have a Technikardan and I was able to use all the movements without comming out of the dark cloth. Essentially the levers worked the same for the front and back standards. On the Variant you have levers and knobs for the back, knobs for the front, etc...and they all turned in a different way, some clock wise, come counterclock wise...what a pita that was!