PDA

View Full Version : comments on Toyo-View 4x5 45GX View Camera

jimmygcreative
4-Jan-2008, 17:25
What do you all think about this camera in the field use of architectural photography?

Toyo-View 4x5 45GX View Camera + 4x5 Wide Angle Bellow and Toyo Compendium Lens Hood + 4x5 Binocular Reflex Hood w/ anvil case.

what do you think?

jimmygcreative
5-Jan-2008, 10:10
ok, how do you rate the toyo gx45 vs other mono rail cameras?

Ralph Barker
5-Jan-2008, 16:12
I think you'll find most of the Toyo line to be reasonably well made, especially for the price point.

erie patsellis
5-Jan-2008, 21:04
In my (humble) opinion the sweet spot in the line is the 45F, the 45E doesn't have user changable (easily) bellows, and the 45G has geared shift, a feature I really don't feel that much of a need for. However given the price is reasonable, it would certainly be a good camera.

I have a D, E, F, a D based homebuilt 8x10, and a few other manufacturers LF cameras (as well as several ULF cameras of my own design), other than some sub work I do for an architectural firm which I shooot with a Sinar F, they write the check and the requirements are that everything gets shot with their lenses, etc. For my own work, I use a 45F, and I really don't have a need for anything more, in fact the Sinar typically slows me down.

A few hours spent disassembling the gibs, cleaning and relubing/adjusting them, as well as disassembling the standards, thorough cleaning and critical adjustment of the preloads, etc. will net you a camera every bit as precise and smooth as the Sinar.

erie

jimmygcreative
5-Jan-2008, 23:02
What do you all think about this camera in the field use of architectural photography?

Toyo-View 4x5 45GX View Camera + 4x5 Wide Angle Bellow and Toyo Compendium Lens Hood + 4x5 Binocular Reflex Hood w/ anvil case.

what do you think?

what do you think is a good far price the the items listed above: all in 8+ cond.

Ralph Barker
6-Jan-2008, 08:26
The GX is a relatively new model, so I would expect the camera to be in good-excellent condition, unless it was abused. B&H sells it for about $3,100 new, so I'd expect something in the range of 25% less for used. The bag bellows, compendium shade, and the bino viewer pop up on eBay frequently, so that's the best place to get a feel for current market prices. My sense is that the accessories sell for far less than the original retail, perhaps around $100 for each, but I haven't looked recently.

Although I have one, I don't find the bino viewer to be very convenient - especially in the field. The degree of magnification isn't sufficient (IMHO) for fine focusing, and it's a bit cumbersome to change the orientation of the viewer.

jimmygcreative
8-Jan-2008, 20:34
thanks.