PDA

View Full Version : Need suggestions for a Deardorff lensboard adapter

J_Tardiff
4-Jan-2008, 17:07
Hi all,

Took a "flyer" on a craigslist listing for an 8x10 Deardorff + "extras" and (for once) lucked out. :D

I'm now faced with the rather common "lensboard" dilemma and was wondering if any of you folks have an approach that you have been happy with. My lenses (several of which will actually cover 8x10 -- another bit of luck) are all on Wista/Linhof boards to be used with my 4x5 Chamonix.

Truth be told, I will mostly use the 8x10 with the 14" Commercial ektar & 210mm Angulon that it came with, but I also have a 300mm Nikkor-M and my 12" Wollensak Velostigmat that I might want to use on the Deardorff.

So can anyone recommend a good source for lensboard adapters for the 8x10 or another approach? Much appreciated, as always!

Oh, and FWIW I found a good internet source for the Lubriplate grease that Ken Hough suggests if anyone is interested.

Happy New Year,

JT

sparq
4-Jan-2008, 17:22
I don't have any experience with this adapter, but it looks OK to me: 280189400128

Ben Hopson
4-Jan-2008, 17:52
I recently made an adapter board for my 8X10 Deardorff to hold Linhof boards. I started by making a new three piece lensboard and then machining the opening in the board to accept the Linhof boards. I then machined the metal for the retainer and slide lock. Not too difficult if you have the tools to work with.

Richard Ritter and the folks at SK Grimes make adapter boards. I am not sure what the cost is.

http://www.lg4mat.net/

http://www.skgrimes.com/

Jim Ewins
4-Jan-2008, 21:51
I did the same as Ben, works well. No changing of lenses on to other boards.

dneilson
4-Jan-2008, 23:36
I'm interested, what is the source for the grease?

J_Tardiff
5-Jan-2008, 07:59
Thanks sparq-- I noticed that guys stuff on the 'bay andI actually dug around the forum to see whether anyone here had dealt with him, not surprisingly, several guys had with decidedly mixed experiences :( . Too bad given the reasonable price.

Ben and Jim -- I was actively considering this approach, I have a bit of woodworking experience and access to the machine shop at work. Not to mention I can't do any outside shooting in the winter, so I have time on my hands on the weekends. Would either of you mind sharing some details/measurements with me?

To my surprise, when I was looking into the lubriplate (630-AA) -- I found that the company maintains an online store. Even more surprising was that the prices were reasonable, included shipping and they shipped the stuff right away. You know, one of those times when you get a shipment and have no clue what it is? ;)
This is the 10 oz size (http://www.lubriplate.com/webstore/detail.aspx?ID=18) -- my husband wanted to try some. They also make a 1.75 oz size.

regards,

JT

keeds
5-Jan-2008, 10:13
I don't have any experience with this adapter, but it looks OK to me: 280189400128

I've bought a number of Deardorff boards from this gent and actually have a Deardorff --> Linhof adaptor on it's way. I've had nothing but good experiences with this seller and that includes shipping from the States to UK.

David Karp
5-Jan-2008, 10:38
You should be able to make one that works nicely, especially if you have access to a good woodworking shop. Here is a link to a thread showing the Technika type adapter board I made for an Improved Seneca View. The Seneca's board is smaller than the Technika board, so my board is probably more complicated than you would have to make. All of the parts came from Lowe's, except the aircraft modeling plywood. http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=26278&highlight=seneca+technika

J_Tardiff
5-Jan-2008, 11:17
That's good to hear, keeds -- many of the prior comments were from a little while ago, maybe he has improved a bit. I think if I am not happy with the DIY approach I will default to him or go with Richard Ritter.

David - thanks! Exactly what I was thinking of doing. Boy, I really like the black "stealth" look of your seneca (I think Jim Galli once told me they were originally black). I'm actually just about done (finally) refinishing the 5x7 B&J I got from Jim Andracki, I considered painting it black (the original battleship grey was really beat up)-- but the original bellows is red and something about the red/black motif reminded me too much of my car (or a certain college football team), so I went with stain/shellac.

I think that maybe I will try to make an adapter for the B&J first using the aircraft modeling plywood and your approach. If it goes well I will pick up some maple or mahoghany for a Deardorff version.

Guess this will be a good winter project if I can't shoot much..

JT

David Karp
5-Jan-2008, 12:12
JT,

Glad you found that thread helpful. I think if I was going for a deluxe version, I would have contacted Mr. Ritter. His would certainly be far nicer than my crazy version with the nylon screen clip. It was a fun project, and fairly easy using an empty Technika board as a template. It works fine.

My Seneca is in the original black. The glossy black paint on my adapter board matches it pretty well. According to this site (http://www.fiberq.com/cam/seneca/sennew.htm), the early versions of the Seneca were Mahogany with a Cherry base. The later versions were ebonized. You can see photos of both there. Funny, when I had the bellows replaced, my wife kidded me about getting a red one! I guess she really wanted people to know I am nuts. :)

Ben Hopson
5-Jan-2008, 14:24
JT, Here is what my adapter board looks like. If you decide to make one, I would suggest starting with a sturdy lensboard that fits your camera. Then make the recess in the board to accept the Technika lensboard. Make something to hold the lensboard in the adapter and you are ready to go. I used Honduran Mahogany and mixed stain to match the original finish on the Dorff. I milled slots in the sliding latch and used nylon washers. It works quite well.

Good luck,
Ben

J_Tardiff
6-Jan-2008, 06:38
JT, Here is what my adapter board looks like. If you decide to make one, I would suggest starting with a sturdy lensboard that fits your camera. Then make the recess in the board to accept the Technika lensboard. Make something to hold the lensboard in the adapter and you are ready to go. I used Honduran Mahogany and mixed stain to match the original finish on the Dorff. I milled slots in the sliding latch and used nylon washers. It works quite well.

Good luck,
Ben

Not to mention the fact that it looks like a piece of the original kit! My Deardorff came with an extra lensboard (and a "mystery" flange, sigh) that I could use. Also heading down to B&H this AM (danger, Will Robinson) and will see if they have one I can experiment with. I'm actually looking forward to it after spending all of this time stripping, sanding and refinishing this B&J!

Thanks again,

JT

Jim Galli
17-Jan-2008, 17:59
That Deardorff deal was killer. Congrats! Argghh. I'm in the same boat. I almost had everything under control with 4X4 adapters for both the Deardorff and Kodak 2D and then I went and fell headlong for the little Chamonix 4X5 which uses the Linhoff boards, so now I'm back to nothing fits nothing. That little 4X5 is sure pretty though.